PDA

View Full Version : File this under "Stupid"

sheppard
12-22-2001, 08:07 AM
Yesterday I'm mowing an account that I've had since I started last summer. Across the street is a trailer with a 48" Kees (?) and a small crapsman. The poor guy was raking a large yard. He calls over to me and asks if I would look at the Kees and see if I could start it. Said "I worked fine yesterday- we left it hear over night, wonder if somebody came by and 'messed with it?' "

Periodically I saw the trailer left there over the months and assumed a LCO lived there. Had know idea the owner JUST PARKED IT AND WOULD COME BACK THE NEXT DAY!

The poor kid said he called his boss but there was no answer. He went on to say his boss dropped him off there to do the 2 adjacent accounts and would be back in a few hours.

Offered him the use of my engine start when it would not crank for me. No luck. He had 6 piles of leaves and no bags.

I canot believe someone would leave thier equipment out, unprotected (read ' not locked!) in a neighborhood and come back the next day, drop off your employee and not be available for calls for emergencies!

Some months back I saw the same trailer parked across my account and walked over to see what kind of mower was there ect. Several grease guns, assorted tools and other stuff was laying in the trailer completely unsecured!

Geez Louize!

Cordially,
Sheppard

MOW ED
12-22-2001, 08:51 AM
Well ya had the Kees, why couldn't ya start it?:D

I lived in Chicago for 28 of my 39 years and one major life lesson learned is that if you ain't sleeping on it, it won't be yours for long. A lock will only slow someone down enough to cut it.
I find it amazing that people leave stuff laying around like this, then they wonder why its missing.

I don't know what kind of customer would let a guy park a trailer and mowers in his yard overnight and then retrieve it the next day. All I can say is that eventually these people might need someone with a mower to cut their yard.

Good Luck, with competition like that you are destined to be a busy guy.

Atlantic Lawn
12-22-2001, 08:58 AM
I really think there is a correlation between how some co's care for their equipment and how they care for a customers property. Like Ed said, guys like that are the best job security you could wish for.

sheppard
12-22-2001, 09:33 AM
Tried choking the Kees, checked the spark plug, blew out the air filter- down the throught was very dirty! Don't know why it would not start.

Now that I think about it I'm more upset on how the owner 'left his employee out to dry! Not to mention forcing a bad job on the customers.

Plan on approaching the accounts when the busy season starts.

Cordially,
Sheppard

Ric
12-22-2001, 10:03 AM
The irony is that those who lock and take care of their equip have it stolen, while this idiot will have his junk forever.

a1 lawncare
12-22-2001, 10:44 AM
some people just seem to have what i call "dumb luck" they seem to get by just fine, not a care in the world.

go figure, keith

LoneStarLawn
12-22-2001, 11:13 AM
Did it have gas?

Alot of people miss the obvious.....

sheppard
12-22-2001, 01:38 PM
The guy also said he changed the spark plug the previous day. I pulled on it several times and it would not even try and catch a spark. He may not have gadged it correctly. Also left it out in freezing temperatures for the night- no rain but lots of "traffic".

Oil was dirty as swamp water. Lots of dirt in the air intake.

Cordially,
Sheppard

thelawnguy
12-22-2001, 03:30 PM
Call me cold-hearted, but I could give a rats you know what if his machine ever started. The most I would do is give the kid a buck bus fare and wish him well.

sheppard
12-22-2001, 03:51 PM
The more I think about this incident the sadder I feel. This poor guy does not see how precarious his employment is.

The ower obviously does not give a flying fig about his business- the customers, his employees, his growth (or the lack of it) or the little remaining value of his equipment.

S.

Green_Thumb_Wolf
12-22-2001, 09:18 PM
Isn't it amazing how some people can manage to be successful in spite of themselves. Start paying attention when and where you see the trailer around town. I have a feeling that there are gonna be alot of people looking for quality lawn care soon, if not already. :)

Happy holidays everyone!

Matthew Morgan
12-22-2001, 10:05 PM
There is a guy here in town that uses rolling junk! His entire outfit, truck, trailer, "z", tractor, trimmers, blowers, and pushers are not worth $1500! He NEVER has problems! This guy is charmed I guess. Some people are just that way.

Matthew

:rolleyes:

David Gretzmier
12-22-2001, 11:14 PM
People like that need luck. we make our own sometimes. I saw a brand new 500sl mercedes sitting on the farthest pump from the store the other day while filling up. It was running, with keys, door OPEN, and no owner for 5 minutes. while I filled, it ran. I go in , pay, go back out, it is running.

And yet, some hack stole my 89 toyota camry, 145,000 miles, from my church parking lot 3 weeks ago. wassup wid dat?

Dave g