PDA

View Full Version : Washing House myself vs Paying Someone?

Whitaker24
05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Help me out guys ive had people pressure wash my house twice a year at $160 each visit. I dont own a pressure washer but what would I need to start my own just to do my house and my grandmothers home ect? What size pressure ect, and what about chemicals ect to have the right mixture?

House is 2300sq ft total lower floor is 1700. most of the house can be cleaned with just water house and brush however white gutters have black on them now and certain parts of the house cant be reached with water hose.

Thanks

Happy Frog
05-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Better pay a good professional.
You will need to spend about $1200 in equipment if you want to do it right.

slowleak1
05-27-2008, 03:06 AM
so 5 or so years from now, he would have paid for the pressure washer, not to mention other jobs he could have done on the side

Happy Frog
05-27-2008, 03:26 AM
He would need the proper knowledge and techniques as well...
Then he would become a professional, then why would he even ask about this?

nitro121
05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Another "mowing and powerwashing is rocket science, high class professional work" hi-jack. The guy would just like to save some money over the years and clean his own house....give him some help. :cry:

heybruck34
05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I rented one from Nations Rent (Lowes store) I got 2500 PSI (I think) and it worked fine for me. I used some of the outdoor bleach and sprayed it using my garden sprayer. Let it sit and then hit it with the pressure washer. They had a bigger one- I think it was 3500 or 3000 but I thought it was overkill for vinyl.

I have a 1 story 1300 sq. ft house with 3 sides vinyl, brick front. I did all the vinyl- brick didn't need it. I also did both cars, roll-out trash can, WB mower, and my 18x20 shed in 4 hours. I returned it within 5 minutes of my 4 hr rental being due. I was hustling.

Total cost ~50 bucks.

It's not rocket science. Did I have ladders to get my to the very tip of my gable ends, no. So I did the best I could. Does it look 100% better than before? YES.

Just be careful not to blast water into your attic, under shingles, into window screens, etc.

Pressureworks
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I wouldnt say its rocket science but its alot more detailed then you think. If so those gable ends would be clean. Nothn personal power washing is what i started my company with and it was hard times at first till i learned the methods that worked for me. Good homeowner mix outdoor bleach,simple green krud cutter and some zip wax car wash.

FCPWLLC
05-27-2008, 09:05 PM
No more than 100 psi should be used on Vinyl Siding. All I got to say on this one is this.... That size home should be costiing $350+ to be cleaned by a PROFESSIONAL, Insured contractor. While saving a few $$$ by doing it himself is great, Getting water behind the siding and causing unhealthy mold problems would offset any savings. Mold remediation isn't cheap and health related problems could get expensive.

Whitaker24
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Im in trouble them the guy is charging $140 to do it Friday?

Pressureworks
05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I didnt read the bottom of your thread about the size of your home. I dont see you getting quality work for that price. Something tells me he will show up with a power washer in the back of a pickup with a 8' step ladder.:laugh:

Happy Frog
05-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Enough said... Everyone is entitled to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them...

DAFFMOBILEWASH
05-28-2008, 01:49 AM
If you wan't to dave some cash try renting a washer from your local rental store. After a few hours you will find that the 160.00 dollar price might not be all that bad. Washing Rinsing stuff is easy, when the application of chems and teqniques are involved it can become tricky.

Any wash company should specialize in washing only. Those companies wo do a thousand services might do good work but with practice comes perfection. For example a heavy diesel mecanic might be able to fix a Segway but a injector pump on a diesel truck would be much easyer to R&R.

yard_smart
05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Have you seen the guys ins. certificate? Did you ask to see it? What about biz license?

These are all things to consider when hiring a PROFESSIONAL! Mike and i both special live in low pressure cleaning . . .it is the most effective and safest way of cleaning .. .. IF the guy shows up friday ask him to run the stream of water coming out of his gun over his hand . . . that will let you know if he is using low pressure or not lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AX9oqfg8eQg

herberg
05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
As a LCO who at one time advertised pressure washing - save your money and hire a professional who knows what they are doing. My wake-up call was when a potential customer responded to my add, and I show up to wash vinyl siding on a $400k house. I did the smart thing (after checking around on the pressure washing forum here on LS) and called him the next day and said my insurance didn't cover pressure washing.

Doing your sidewalk or garbage can is one thing - the whole house is a different cat to skin.

Sidenote - since then I've developed a good relationship with a local wash company, we each manage to refer a few people to each other every month.

good luck - but i'd recommend spending the cash.

yard_smart
05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
oh and a lil insight . . .my company wouldn't touch it for less than $417

Barry M
06-01-2008, 12:28 PM
You get what you pay for, hope he is insured for your sake.

Whitaker24
06-03-2008, 10:47 PM
He is bonded and insured for that price.

mgramling
06-05-2008, 08:22 AM
I just have one question. Not trying to be a wise guy. The original thread stated he paid $160 to this guy twice a year to clean his house. Would a "professional" charging $350 and up be able to keep the house clean just doing it once a year? I would assume so, on the gutters, but just asking.

Don M.
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I would say yes. There is houses I have done three years ago where the north side was covered in mold. It looks like I washed it yesterday.

qcontrol23
06-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Then tell him how to keep water from getting behond the siding!!

yard_smart
06-09-2008, 01:44 AM
My platinum package offers a 12 month warren tee

nitro121
06-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I sent you a PM and email to your web page for assistance. I know your probably busy, check it out when you get a chance.

Peace,
Gary

CCPC
06-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Wow!! I guess some people have to learn the hard way.There is no where in the country where a company can wash a house of that size, with the proper equipment, knowledge and credentials for that price and be successful. They are either inexperienced and don't realize they aren't making any money, or cutting corners.