PDA

View Full Version : growing grass... i need help...

handy1
05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
anybdy know what grass would work best in texas heat and dirt???? plaese email me with info. handymanyard1@gmail.com. thanks.:waving:

tbettis
05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
bermuda.. hybrid

XterraJohn
05-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I replanted my front yard about 5 days ago with Princess 77 Bermuda. My first attempt was a failure, presumably because I did not expose enough soil before sowing the seeds. My lawn appears to have been a mix of St. Augustine, common bermuda, and weeds.

I think I can just barely see some sprouts as of this morning when I checked.

XterraJohn
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
The new lawn is not going well. It appears that I do not know how to successfully grow grass. The new lawn is only sprouting in a few places, and is now mostly weeds and remnants of dead grass.

ed2hess
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
The new lawn is not going well. It appears that I do not know how to successfully grow grass. The new lawn is only sprouting in a few places, and is now mostly weeds and remnants of dead grass.

In Texas all you need is bermuda, fertilize, and water and it will take off. Then after it gets going use weed-b-gone and msma to kill of the unwanted stuff. Getting it started from seed takes 14 days of watering 3 to 4 times a day.

Az Gardener
05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Bermuda has a 21 day germination period. That is just how long it takes for the cotyledon to pop. Thats not even visible unless you are on your knees in the mud, be patient. Probably be 30 days before you can look out from the porch and see the green carpet begin to get going. Anything you see prior to that will be weed or some other variety that may have snuck into the blend.

SNAPPER MAN
05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Here in houston almost everything is St. Augustine. It looks nice and is a very hearty grass. Can withstand heat very very well.