PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new Mower Help Me Out Guys

Whitaker24
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Ive got a 48 in cut craftsman 5 years old with 890 hours on it, no hood an now will not go in forward but will go in reverse my questions are these..

If I buy a toro from home depot vs a toro dealer which is better? dealer has better finance options an will service what they sell 1st, home depot as i had trouble in the past with them with a weed eater i bought it quit after 2 months.

Would the dealer have better mowers than home depot?

I cut my house at 2.08 acres with very little trees, and I also cut mother in laws child cares it takes me about 2 hours to do each now with the 48 in regular riding lawn mower how long would it take to cut these yards with a zero turn mower? i dont think i need a commercial mower just for these 2 yards?

Give me all of your thoughts here, an thanks.

93Chevy
05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Personally, I'd go to a Toro dealer. Better support, etc. and I think you answered your own question about that. Without knowing the lay of the land, tree, and building locations, it's nearly impossible for me to guess how long it would take to cut it, however, I can assure you that after becomming used to the ZTR, you will cut your mowing time down.

As far as what to buy, if you're set on Toro, find a good local dealer. They'd be more likely to be able to answer your questions on which mower than I would.

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't think I would buy a ZTR for 4 acres total unless your going to go commercial. I would probably get a JD tractor type mower, they are pretty dependable for a home owner.

Whitaker24
05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
What is a JD tractor type mower?

Land is flat only thing on it house, swing set an sand box.

I was thinking of a zero turn mower i was thinking residentail one would be fine, the comercial grades get a lil pricey for what i need it to do, to cut my time down vs a "regular" type lawn tractor. When I bought mine is was the best sears had but its still slow! if I could cut my time from 2 hours to 1 hour I would be thankful for that.

Locally we only have a toro and husgvarna dealer that service what they sell.

totallawncare25
05-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Jd= John Deere

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
What is a JD tractor type mower?

Land is flat only thing on it house, swing set an sand box.

I was thinking of a zero turn mower i was thinking residentail one would be fine, the comercial grades get a lil pricey for what i need it to do, to cut my time down vs a "regular" type lawn tractor. When I bought mine is was the best sears had but its still slow! if I could cut my time from 2 hours to 1 hour I would be thankful for that.

Locally we only have a toro and husgvarna dealer that service what they sell.

I was just talking about a regular riding mower. If you are willing to pay for a ZTR to speed up your mowing that is up to you I guess. I would look for one with good reliable pumps and wheel motors, because they are what does most of the work and are very expensive to fix/replace. The small Hustlers seem to be popular for non commercial work but I'm no expert in this area. I just dont know how reliable consumer ZTR's are. With little to trim around I'm not sure you will cut your time in half.

ojpent
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Go with a dealer not "Home Cheapo" remember home centers sell resi units not commercial units that will hold up better in time.. Also keep your options open when it comes to a brand that you are looking at.. Just my 2cents..

TandM
05-26-2008, 09:45 PM
He is looking into a residential type mower. That is all you need. I can tell you from my personal experience that it will be fine for 4 acres. I had a Ariens EZR1742(17hp and 42 inches wide deck) I used that thing for 5 years doing 10 yards give or take a few. I then retired it for my scag. I keep it at my grandmothers house she lives 45 minutes down the road. And I mow hers biweekly with that mower. And it is the best looking yard in her town. The fine timecutter or a husquavarna residential mower will work fine. Go to the dealer much better service than the big orange place.

ezyed
05-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I am a small LCO with only 12 customers this year. At 69 years old that is all that I wish to handle. I just purchased a new Toro time cutter(44" with a Kohler engine,) I don`t think I will wear it out. You will probibly cut your time almost in half Not only is the speed much faster but the time you save on the turns is remarkable. You do have to learn how to turn around with out digging up the grass, but that will come quickly.I have 4 toro riders now and think that they are as good as you can get for the money. I am positive that they will out last me.

STIHL GUY
05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
at the dealer you will get a better mower better service and all your questions will be answered

ALC-GregH
05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I'd get a commercial for the simple fact, it will last WAY longer then a HD or Lowes mower. You can spend 3-4K on a cheap one from them that will last a few years or spend double that and get one that will last the rest of your life! Plus, you'll definitely cut your time in half AND get a better cut.

jkason
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
At the dealer, if you are getting a tractor, get one that's NOT made by MTD.
Ask the dealer. He knows the cheaper ones are made by them.
If he denies it, go to a different dealer.

kacj777
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't think I would buy a ZTR for 4 acres total unless your going to go commercial. I would probably get a JD tractor type mower, they are pretty dependable for a home owner.
I myself was in the same place until last year. Then I bought a ZTR. My JD was a 38in cut LX173 bought it from the dealer, Lowes had briggs on them and dealer had a kohler (this was 9yrs ago). I cut 7yds a week some were over an acre. It is still my second mower I get up leaves with it now. so to make it short go with the dealer better engines and better decks.:weightlifter: