PDA

View Full Version : Which Hustler to buy?

zbruch
05-26-2008, 02:57 PM
I live in rural SD. I mow about 1-2 acres weekly. I have a fair amount of slopes, uneven terrain, and trees to mow around. I am wondering if the hustler fastrack 48, or the hustler super duty 42 would be better for my yard. Mostly wondering about the slopes, I test drove a minifastrack 36 yesterday from a friend. It handled the slope pretty good, but I'm wondering if the wider/heavier 48, or the heavier/bigger tired super duty 42 would handle better for the money. They are both around $4999 here locally. I am leaning towards the superduty, I think the bigger tires would benefit me and the width isn't real critical. I currently mow with a snapper 21" push! Which takes forever. Thanks for any input.

nitro121
05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
the Fastrak handles hills better actually.....I guess because of the lower center of gravity. 42" fastrak or mini Z will do just fine. 3400 and 5000 is what they sell for in my area. If the other ones cost around the same don't sweat it.....you won't go wrong w/ any Hustler mower (in my opinion).

Peace,
Gary

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
:)The red one.:)

zbruch
05-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Which "red one" would you suggest for my slopes/uneven ground and $4-5000 budget?

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Which "red one" would you suggest for my slopes/uneven ground and $4-5000 budget?

I was just joking:)

BAKERS
05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
The Fastrak 48/54 is a better designed machine. You will be much happier with the 48 over the 42 Super Duty.

ResidentialOwner
05-26-2008, 06:10 PM
You would be happy with the Fastrak 48, but I am sure all would make a great choice.

sawman65
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
:)The red one.:)

right the red one and i am not joking!

JTF40
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I was just joking:)

His question was concerning Hustler - not YOUR Exmark. He is ready to spend his money on a mower - not your jokes. :usflag:

zbruch
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info. So does the Fastrack 48" have any advantage (besides 6 inches wider) then the Superduty 42"? It seems they use the same hydros. I would like the bigger tires that come on the superduty. How about comparing the Fastrack 48 and superduty 48? Again my main concern is the slopes, the mini-fastrack 36 that I borrowed was borderline on some of the hills. I don't mind the "red one" jokes, but some actual model suggestions would be much more appreciated. Thanks

zbruch
05-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Does $4999 + $100 for flex forks sound like an average price for the 42" fastrack superduty?

6203zz
05-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Zbruch, I just bought a Fastrak 48 with the Honda engine about 2 weeks ago and I am very pleased. I paid $4500 plus tax. I have 1 1/4 acre yard with some pretty good slopes and bar ditches and it handles it very well. It climbs much better than my neighbors Troybuilt 50" he bought last month and let me test drive. I shopped for about a month and thought the Fastrak was the best bang for the buck. Hope this helps. Bill

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 10:05 PM
His question was concerning Hustler - not YOUR Exmark. He is ready to spend his money on a mower - not your jokes. :usflag:

I don't charge for my jokes.

BryceBentleyLCS
05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't charge for my jokes.

Hahaha that gave me a good laugh! :usflag:

zbruch
05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
O.K. I've had a couple people recommend the 48 Fastrack over the Superduty, Why? Other then the cheaper price tag, the Superduty sounds like a heavier duty machine with larger tires. Again width is not as important to me as slope handling, so to keep it simple - 48 Fastrack or 48 Fastrack Superduty? Thanks for the input everyone! I plan on taking the plunge this week so keep the comments coming!

MJB
05-27-2008, 02:41 AM
O.K. I've had a couple people recommend the 48 Fastrack over the Superduty, Why? Other then the cheaper price tag, the Superduty sounds like a heavier duty machine with larger tires. Again width is not as important to me as slope handling, so to keep it simple - 48 Fastrack or 48 Fastrack Superduty? Thanks for the input everyone! I plan on taking the plunge this week so keep the comments coming!

Don't buy a Hustler unless you demo it first !!!!! If you want a small fast Track I know wher you can get one cheap in Wa St. My competitor hates his and has it for sale. 1 yr old very low hrs.

Red or Orange is better if you have a good dealer. I own Yellow and I'm not keeping mine either. DEMO

MJB
05-27-2008, 02:45 AM

If you had Bad Boy mower dealer in your area I would demo that otherwise Exmark, Ferris, Gravely, Cub Cadet is yellow try one of those.

zbruch
05-27-2008, 08:31 AM
MJB thanks for the info. Any idea how to ship used mower from WA. to SD? How much cost? I'm guessing it might not be cost effective, but if so I would be interested in your friend's fastrack. I have borrowed a 36" mini fastrack from a friend, it did pretty good on my slope but I would like a little better from heavier machine with bigger tires. Thanks,
Zweit

james mcdonald
05-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I considered the 48 inch fastrak, 48 inch fastrak super duty and the 54 inch fastrak super duty. In the machines I demoed (on the dealer property), I noticed some slip in the rear tires upon turns with the base 48 inch fastrak that I did not notice with the 48 inch fastrak super duty which has larger and wider tires. However, the 48 inch fastrak super duty has very little trim edge (1/2 inch) so if you trim near fences, you may have trouble getting the back tire and gas tank on the trim side into things. I have ordered a 54 inch fastrak super duty and hope it is not too wide. I may see if I can get the dealer to bring up both and let me drive around on my property. He has a 48 inch super duty in stock but for some reason the 54 inch models are in short supply and you have to pay up front when you order it. I you have hills or ditches the wider and larger tires would sure help.

MJB
05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
I considered the 48 inch fastrak, 48 inch fastrak super duty and the 54 inch fastrak super duty. In the machines I demoed (on the dealer property), I noticed some slip in the rear tires upon turns with the base 48 inch fastrak that I did not notice with the 48 inch fastrak super duty which has larger and wider tires. However, the 48 inch fastrak super duty has very little trim edge (1/2 inch) so if you trim near fences, you may have trouble getting the back tire and gas tank on the trim side into things. I have ordered a 54 inch fastrak super duty and hope it is not too wide. I may see if I can get the dealer to bring up both and let me drive around on my property. He has a 48 inch super duty in stock but for some reason the 54 inch models are in short supply and you have to pay up front when you order it. I you have hills or ditches the wider and larger tires would sure help.

The trimside is very important and one reason I like the bigger decks. But if you can always demo the mowers at your home or on your toughest lawn you mow if your in the lawn business. Definately compare other brands. In Oklahoma you propbably have Bad Boy Mower dealers. I would compare theirs with Hustler if possible. I've used a lot of Hustlers but not the super duty yet.
But my experience with Hustler mowers has not been that great, the dealer support is good but the product has issues. So just because they sell commercial line of mowers is not enough reason to purchase any mower. Compare and demo. I've been using zero turns for 16 yrs and am not impressed with Hustler anymore. Just my 2 cents worth buy with caution.

sawman65
05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
i had a hustler super walkbehind loved the speed loved the way it handle but the cut was JUNK and could not get it fixed. got to the point they would not even answer my calls. not a joke and those are free anyway lolol!

zbruch
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I am leaning towards the 48 Fastrack but would like the bigger tires off of a 48 Superduty. Anyone done that?

zbruch
05-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I bit the bullet and ordered a 23/48 Superduty yesterday!

Z-Man
06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Tocoma

Have you tried the Triton decks? What is you take on them?