PDA

View Full Version : An employee manual

dcwservices
05-26-2008, 04:44 PM
How about starting a thread for the new employee to read. You know some pointers for him to learn. I have 2 new guys starting next week and would like for them to look over andread a little bit!

Ill start with these:

1. On your down time, Instead of looking like a statue, fill up the equipment or respool the trimmers.
2. Never put a mower with the bag full of grass back onto a trailer.
3. Never run any type of machinery without safety glasses.
4. MAKE SURE YOU TRIM CORNERS, SOME Z-TURNS ARE NOT ABLE TO CUT THE BACK CORNER WHERE A FENCE IS!
5. Check equipment oil daily.
6. Never let any peice of equipment run out of gas or string while in the middle of a job.
7. Always be polite and direct the customer to the supervisor on the jobsite.
8. MAKE SURE YOU STAY HYDRATED!
9. NEVER beat the weedeater head on the lawn for more string, With a little acceleration tap it on concrete.
10. If you see something in the mowers path, Pick it up or Roll it up!!!!

dcwservices
05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
With all the knowledge tips and tricksout their, this thread should be full of stuff. Help me out here!

HBLandscaping
05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Good stuff listed, Give me a few and I'll add somemore to your list.

bohiaa
05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
number 3 needs inprovement.

never operate any equiptment untill you have fully read the owners manual,

Lawn-Sharks
05-26-2008, 06:02 PM
All employees must know and obey company drug abuse & saftey policys

Make sure to pick up any trash, news papers, ect priar to any mowing.

Know where all fire exstingushers & first aid kits are located.(in trailer or truck)

Make sure to have a copy of the department of labor (labor laws) handy for all employees to see, i keep mine next to the first aid kit in the trailer

just a few off the top of my head.

freshprince94
05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Here's some:

1. Come to work looking professional and clean. That means company shirt (if you have them), clean work pants, sunglasses, and hearing protection. Customers feel more comfortable having professional looking workers on their property, and it gives your employer a better reputation.
2. Keep the equipment clean and in good working order. Blow grass off mowers after each job, fill up handhelds and mowers every few jobs, and always put things back where they belong. Again, it gives your company a better name if you have clean, working equipment.
3.Never use obscene language on a jobsite. A customer could be nearby at any time.
4. When a customer (or anybody for that matter) is walking by and you're using equipment, shut the equipment off, say hello, then turn the equipment back on and continue working when they are a safe distance away. Remember, customers don't like the sound of the equipment like us.
5. Never discharge grass towards a bystander or a vehicle. If someone is in the way, ask them to move. If a car is going to get sprayed, ask the customer to move it. If not, too bad.
6. Never modify the safety features on the equipment.
7. NEVER smoke on a jobsite.
8. Don't leave big clumps of grass in areas you don't feel like blowing out.
9. Unless the boss states otherwise, trim and edge EVERY job.
10. Have fun. Don't be so serious you can't enjoy the job.

dcwservices
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Just what I was looking for, Keep em coming!

J&R Landscaping
05-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Make sure ALL equipment is secured to truck or trailer before leaving one jobsite and heading to the next!

bill8379
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Don't piss on a customers yard.

DBL
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
if the equipment doesnt work you dont work

KGR landscapeing
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Always check the trailer and truck in the morning. Lights on the trailer need to work. Tire pressure you dont have to use a guage but at least look at every tire.

Always check the ball on the trailer make sure its lockd down and the safety chains are wrappd and hookd.

Always be alert and take your time do it right the first time.

HBLandscaping
05-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Here's some:

1. Come to work looking professional and clean. That means company shirt (if you have them), clean work pants, sunglasses, and hearing protection. Customers feel more comfortable having professional looking workers on their property, and it gives your employer a better reputation.
2. Keep the equipment clean and in good working order. Blow grass off mowers after each job, fill up handhelds and mowers every few jobs, and always put things back where they belong. Again, it gives your company a better name if you have clean, working equipment.
3.Never use obscene language on a jobsite. A customer could be nearby at any time.
4. When a customer (or anybody for that matter) is walking by and you're using equipment, shut the equipment off, say hello, then turn the equipment back on and continue working when they are a safe distance away. Remember, customers don't like the sound of the equipment like us.
5. Never discharge grass towards a bystander or a vehicle. If someone is in the way, ask them to move. If a car is going to get sprayed, ask the customer to move it. If not, too bad.
6. Never modify the safety features on the equipment.
7. NEVER smoke on a jobsite.
8. Don't leave big clumps of grass in areas you don't feel like blowing out.
9. Unless the boss states otherwise, trim and edge EVERY job.
10. Have fun. Don't be so serious you can't enjoy the job.

more good ones. All of these are great. Number 7 is one I have to keep up on, one of my guys loves cutting grass with a cig in his mouth (He's a Firefighter he should know better about dry grass and flames, LOL). Also having a few firefighters working for me # 3 is another problem (I break it to sometimes LOL), Those of you that are in the Fire service know this one well. Some will think #10 isn't important but if you want to keep replacing employees every week then this is another great one. Many employees don't have fun and enjoy being outside and take things to serious and they end up quitting the job. Remember how you feel when you have a customer calling and complaining , it takes the fun out of your day, well thats how a boss can ruin the employees day, it's ok to loosen up and smile.

KGR landscapeing
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Another one Anytime your backing up always have a window open so you can hear whats going on.

HBLandscaping
05-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Make sure before you leave the job site to head to another, Make sure all equipment is placed back where it belongs and strapped down/lacthed in place or secured (Sp open trailers).

dcwservices
05-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Please keep em coming! I really need it!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Pjslawncare
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Make sure ALL equipment is secured to truck or trailer before leaving one jobsite and heading to the next!

Had that happen last summer, lost a shindaiwa T231 trimmer off the racks and a trailblazer smashed it, I was PISSED!!!

Uranus
05-27-2008, 08:20 AM
If you want me to take care of my responsibility and pay you on time every friday, then take care of you responsibility and SHOW UP ON TIME.

freshprince94
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
more good ones. All of these are great. Number 7 is one I have to keep up on, one of my guys loves cutting grass with a cig in his mouth (He's a Firefighter he should know better about dry grass and flames, LOL). Also having a few firefighters working for me # 3 is another problem (I break it to sometimes LOL), Those of you that are in the Fire service know this one well. Some will think #10 isn't important but if you want to keep replacing employees every week then this is another great one. Many employees don't have fun and enjoy being outside and take things to serious and they end up quitting the job. Remember how you feel when you have a customer calling and complaining , it takes the fun out of your day, well thats how a boss can ruin the employees day, it's ok to loosen up and smile.

Everybody breaks that one lol

topsites
05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Lawnsite (http://lawnsite.com/)
> Starting A Lawn Care & Landscaping Business (http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
>> TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=13339)
:rolleyes:

btw:
If you find a tree stump in someone's yard, especially the smaller ones, it PAYS to cut these down real close to the dirt with a chainsaw. Either after or as you do this, learn how low it needs to be cut so the deck clears it by a margin. Doing this prevents you from running into it at full speed, even if it dulls your chain it beats flying over the handlebars.

topsites
05-29-2008, 10:32 AM
How about starting a thread for the new employee to read. You know some pointers for him to learn. I have 2 new guys starting next week and would like for them to look over andread a little bit!

Ill start with these:

1. On your down time, Instead of looking like a statue, fill up the equipment or respool the trimmers.
2. Never put a mower with the bag full of grass back onto a trailer.
3. Never run any type of machinery without safety glasses.
4. MAKE SURE YOU TRIM CORNERS, SOME Z-TURNS ARE NOT ABLE TO CUT THE BACK CORNER WHERE A FENCE IS!
5. Check equipment oil daily.
6. Never let any peice of equipment run out of gas or string while in the middle of a job.
7. Always be polite and direct the customer to the supervisor on the jobsite.
8. MAKE SURE YOU STAY HYDRATED!
9. NEVER beat the weedeater head on the lawn for more string, With a little acceleration tap it on concrete.
10. If you see something in the mowers path, Pick it up or Roll it up!!!!

I don't think that's going to work, this approach makes you look like the bad guy, or a slave driver.
Points 5 and 7 are well put, as an example, the rest are not badly intended but I think it comes across wrong.

For example, number 10 could be re-phrased thusly:
10. Ensure all movable obstacles such as newspapers are well outside of the mowing path.
10b. Permanent obstacles should be given appropriate clearance while mowing.

Number 1, maybe like so:
1. Please fill up the equipment or respool the trimmers during idle moments.

And so on...
Just trying to help.
Peace

dcwservices
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks alot!

dcwservices
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Dont go anywhere without it!

dcwservices
06-06-2008, 07:42 PM
dont run over any trash!
Make sure everything is strapped down.

MJS
06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Everybody breaks that one lol

Almost everybody. . .

I would add - when I worked for another company, they had a policy that the weedeater and blower guys always had the right-of-way over the commercial mowers. Just a good idea, so nobody gets run over. :rolleyes:

topsites
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Almost everybody. . .

I would add - when I worked for another company, they had a policy that the weedeater and blower guys always had the right-of-way over the commercial mowers. Just a good idea, so nobody gets run over. :rolleyes:

Yeah LOL those are the same ones grow up believing their little Honda has the right of way over my truck :p

I got news for them folks, in my world the law of gross tonnage applies:
If it's bigger and heavier than you or yours, it wins.

I offer quick crash courses in the form of dual air horns,
so the next time they think of cutting off some bigger
rig like say an 18-wheeler, think again!

Drew Gemma
06-06-2008, 11:08 PM
pat atention to what your are doing and be alert of your suroundings. Always be professional while on the clock. No hanging out the truck hounded like a dog act like you have seen a woman before. If you break it or damage it you paid for it.
I also do this trick Say a guy gets 8 an hour if he shows up ontime all week no call offs in uniform (company pants or shorts gloves saftey gear shirts hats sweaters) they get an extra dollar an hour for the week. also always pay on monday so they show up

All mistakes acidents or imperfections are caused by no paying attention. Once is a mistake twice is stupied I hate a guy screwing up the same thing over and over:hammerhead:

Drew Gemma
06-06-2008, 11:09 PM
i need to take my own advice I can't spell or type complete sentences because I am so lazy :nono:

dcwservices
06-07-2008, 12:22 AM
This is exactly what I have been wanting, please keep them coming, even if its just one tip!

landscaper22
06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Some of the things we have to spell out in an employee handbook amazes me. It is sad that we have to tell employees to pick up paper and not to mow over it. It is sad that we have to tell them to pay attention to what is going on, and to pay attention to detail. I can't even begin to tell you the dumb things I have observed employees doing. And they don't learn from mistakes or trial and error. Just like when string trimming. It doesn't take you but a couple of times of getting something caught around the trimmer head to know not to hit any string or other similar item. Yet I see my employee stop time and time again to untangle something from around the trimmer head that was in plain sight.
I have an account that has some items out behind the building. There are also some green plastic straps (you know you sometimes see them wrapped around freight to hold a card board box together for shipping). Well this one employee, every single week would hit one of those straps and have to waste 4-5 minutes unwrapping it from the trimmer head. How many times do you have to hit it before you realize that it would be much easier and make more sense to just move the strap out of the way before trimming the area? The joys of employees.

MTDlawns
06-07-2008, 04:39 PM
make sure all gates to fenced yards are closed before you leave. Don't want to catch the blame for pets or small kids getting out.

freshprince94
06-07-2008, 05:09 PM
More...

11. Always set up a cone when your trailer ramp is down. No one wants cars to run over their trailer.
12. To save fuel, if you're weedeating a large property, and you have to walk from one side to another without trimming, shut the weedeater off. Same applies to edgers and backpacks.
13. If anyone attempts to cross your path while on a zero turn or w/b, immedietly disengage the blades and stop, ask them to clear the area, and wait for them to leave before re-engaging blades.
14. On commercial sites, always give cars the right of way. Some cars stop, some don't. It's worth your life to wait a few seconds for a car to pass.
15. Always use the right mower for the job. Customers are intimidated by big mowers. Don't use a 60" ZTR on a 0.15 acre lot just because it's not gated. That will make the yard look bad.
16. Carry business cards on you whenever you are working. You never know if someone could use your services.

93Chevy
06-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Don't try to be tough and make yourself look good by not taking water breaks. It shouldn't take over a minute to grab a swig, but how tough are you when you're dehydrated?

On the other hand, don't take more breaks than necessary.

iamthelawnman
06-07-2008, 07:13 PM
how about this one dont mow next to the customer while you both are talking and never face the discarger at anyone.