PDA

View Full Version : "Non Striped Lawns"

vaham
05-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Although I love good stripes, not all lawns have to be striped to look good- here is an example of one of my customers lawns. This is only my second time to cut this property-photos are a little washed out in the bright sun.

:usflag::usflag::usflag:GOd Bless our Troops

tilawn
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
what is the "white" line for looks like an uneven deck or low tire? Just wondering

KGR landscapeing
05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
enless hes got a mower with fuel tanks on bothsides and one is low

vaham
05-26-2008, 06:35 PM
It's the tire track...I ride the same track on the return trip with the discharge
(right) side tire, tracks are about 8' apart.

topsites
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
One thing I did notice is once you learn how to stripe you're as good as cursed lol. There's no way, after you know it, to get out of it except to go out of your way not to do it... Now I could be wrong but it almost looks like that's what you might have done.

To back your point thou, I don't think you are wrong per se, striping isn't all that either.
Merely a cosmetic effect, not all customers care for it, not all yards take to it.
Then as a rule, it is hard on the turf.
And ultimately, a clean cut lawn can and does look at least as good from most perspectives.
Which, I don't stripe all of mine, I don't stripe every day or all of the time, either.
I have to be in the mood, most of the time I am, but the turf has to lend itself for it, too.

It is an art, hence dependent upon not just the artist, but the canvas, and the roller ...LOL
Which, is that why they 'roll' lawns up yonder?
I always wondered about that...

vaham
05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
It's the double-trod (for lack of a better word)tire track...I ride the same track on the return trip with the discharge (right) side tire, tracks are about 8' apart.
The trim side rides alongside, not in, the previous track, so the grass is easily stood back up by the deck vacuum.

vaham
05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
One thing I did notice is once you learn how to stripe you're as good as cursed lol. There's no way, after you know it, to get out of it except to go out of your way not to do it... Now I could be wrong but it almost looks like that's what you did.

To back your point thou, you're not wrong per se, striping isn't all that either.
Merely a cosmetic effect, not all customers care for it, not all yards take to it.
And as a rule, it is hard on the turf.

Yeah, my Toro stripes like a banshee, and so does my TTHP.. I know how to stripe. The tunnel deck on the Everride is a different animal, however. Even without stripes, uniformity is something that customers still expect, as it reflects the professionalism of the contractor they have employed. That is why I go out of my way to leave uniform tracks as much as possible, even with a mower that doesn't stripe by nature.

MileHigh
05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
yea..those lawns look good...

but they would look great with some stripes I would have to say.

Good work.

tacoma200
05-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Just tire tracks I'd say, I notice them even when a striper is used often. Not everyone likes stripes as we have had several discussions on this before. We seem to like them more than the customers in general. Some feel that they take attention from the home or are a distraction. Some love them, like I said customers don't always appreciate the things we think are important.

jkilov
05-26-2008, 07:26 PM
looks very nice, good job

I would'nt worry about those tire tracks. They won't be visible after 2 days.

That's some property right there, the size, trees, wooden fence and everything. Must be a wealthy customer. Is that your truck in the first pic? He lets you park in his driveway. Cool. I often have to unload off property and go from there. People don't seem to like grass clippings and dirt falling from the trailer on their driveways.

Bennett scape
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I found striping to work best on the Bentgrasses, meadow grasses, fescues and ryegrasses.

vaham
05-26-2008, 08:52 PM
looks very nice, good job

I would'nt worry about those tire tracks. They won't be visible after 2 days.

That's some property right there, the size, trees, wooden fence and everything. Must be a wealthy customer. Is that your truck in the first pic? He lets you park in his driveway. Cool. I often have to unload off property and go from there. People don't seem to like grass clippings and dirt falling from the trailer on their driveways.

Actually, the double-trod tracks will still be seen even after I crosscut the pattern next week.

The property is very nice, front yard is about an acre and a half, rear/far side is about 2 ac.broken into several fenced areas, pastures at one time , now fescue with still some orchard and Johnson grass strays.
The state road along the front of the property is too narrow to park anywhere within a mile, so I back my enclosed trailer up the narrow quarter-mile long driveway.

This home is in horse country, in Great Falls, VA.

Thanks for the comments, guys... and yes my Dodge in the pic.

LawnTamer
05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I have several lawns that I think don't look good striped, I've even had one client request that I don't stripe, they said they didn't want their lawn looking like a baseball field.:laugh::laugh:

FDuce
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
How do you prevent making stripes when mowing in a back and fourth manner?

bigclawn
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm with Top sites----------mow 'em--leave 'em clean--do it different every time and don't spoil them with stripes to often-----maneuvering time is NOT mowing time---I am not saying we never stripe but our main objective is to leave them real clean and smooth and get the heck off the property----35 seasons of serious work--never a complaint relating to striping or not striping---------near 100% residential retention rate---