PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't I get a Stihl BR 600?

marckxman
05-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Need to buy a new backpack tomorrow. The 600 seems like a love/ hate machine.
My local dealer has always treated me well and is a Stihl and Echo dealer. I have liked my 4-mix KR110 Kombi but I keep hearing how people have had probs with their BR600's.
Are the issues taken care of at this point?
What would you get?

corey4671
05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
have had mine over a year now. no problems. usually starts the first time each day on second pull. everytime after that fires right up. plenty of power. go get it!! you won't regret it especially if you already have a good relationship with your dealer.

fastcat
05-26-2008, 10:03 PM
never had any probs out of mine. i run 93 oct and stihl hp oil

tamadrummer
05-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I have had mine for 2 weeks and it is one of my best purchases yet! What a time saver!

93 octane and stihl ultra hp 2 cycle oil!

C&K
05-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Over a year on our br600 and no problems. We use 87 octane and the best deal we can find on oil. 50-1 mix. I have met know one locally that is not very happy with their stihl 4-mix equipment.

C&K
05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
We use the 110's also...aren't they a beast? We can't get over the power compared to our echo.

marckxman
05-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Is the HP Ultra oil a big issue? Is the regular HP stuff up to snuff?
I don't mind spending the cash (especially after dropping the coin on this blower) just wondering if that is an issue with other people's probs with this unit.

BTW- What do you all like to use to secure this gem? I have an open trailer.

dura to the max
05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
my blowers go in the cage, they now make a mounting unit for the 550 and 600 model BR's.

corey4671
05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
on the question on the pil...I have never used anything but the tractor supply co brand oil.

Willie03
05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
We have 4 BR600 and 3 FS90R's. My guys aren't very gentle with the equipment and except for 1 valve adjustment which my dealer does for free and 100 hrs on my 4 mix equipment, absolutly no issues with the 4 mix stuff. We use 89 octane gas and what ever oil we bulk buy at the beginning of the year. I think we are using the Jthomas no smoke.

No problems what so ever, pleanty of power and light weight. Don't be scared of the 4 mix products from Sthil. Especially if your dealer if a good one.

fastcat
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
i use the hp cauxe its semi synthetic and not as pricey as the ultra. and my fs80 has been running better since i have been running 93 oct and hp

Happy Frog
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
You should ask "Yungman", he'll tell you...

Just Mow
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Three BR600's since they came out. No problems and no valve adjustment. 4 FS100RX three yrs old. One valve adjustment. I run Ultra in all of my equipment since it came out.

fastcat
05-26-2008, 10:40 PM

is he the guy that chimes in on every 4-mix discussion.

Just Mow
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
is he the guy that chimes in on every 4-mix discussion.

Yep, that's him

marckxman
05-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Yep, I've been lurking. I have read some of his opinions and they do not seem helpful.

I may be wrong but it seems like he has very strong opinions on equipment he does not use.

I am more interested in people who have real world experience with this unit.

ed2hess
05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Why should Yungman say anything any more you guys just run him in the ground. These treads are bait to try to draw him in. If anyone is interested in a BR600 there is plenty of information on it already. And by the way while a lot of it is good some of it isn't.....There are a lot of other alternatives out there with practically no risk since blowers are pretty darn reliable for the most part.

marckxman
05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Why should Yungman say anything any more you guys just run him in the ground. These treads are bait to try to draw him in. If anyone is interested in a BR600 there is plenty of information on it already. And by the way while a lot of it is good some of it isn't.....There are a lot of other alternatives out there with practically no risk since blowers are pretty darn reliable for the most part.
I started this thread to get some good up to date into on a purchase that I NEED to make tomorrow.

While I know there is plenty of info out there, (I searched and read as much as I could) I wanted to know as much as possible from current users and see if there was anything I was missing before putting down my hard earned money on this purchase.

I don't know you Hess. I don't know what your relationship is with yung or what equip you use. I just wanted some info. I don't think it right of you to infer that I want start a thread just to put down a fellow Lawnsite member. I don't have the luxury of having that kind of time to waste.

Mostly, I don't think you should try to tell me that I can't ask a legit question because others have asked similar questions.

If I have misunderstood you Hess then I apologize in advance.

Happy Frog
05-27-2008, 02:42 AM
I am not a BR-600 user and the main complaint I have read about them is that many users had trouble with their engine due to problem with the valves.
Beside that, it seems to be a great and powerful blower and many report to be very happy with them.
This being said, you may or may not have the same kind of problem if you buy one. Hard for anyone to say if you are going to be happy with it or not...
Many consider it to be in the top three best blowers on the market today.

jwl5510
05-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Get the Br 600 and spend less time on the pavement and get more windshield time.:usflag:

coolgreen
05-27-2008, 07:20 AM
The BR600 is a great time saver, but they do tend to blow up. Both of mine have been in the shop for valve problems, and now one has completely blown up. The valve actually disintegrated and messed up the cylinder.

Yes, I run Stihl oil with 89 octane gas, and no one put the wrong gas in the machine.

I bought them when they first came out, and from what my dealer tells me they had a lot of valve problems on the first machines. I'm trying to get mine fixed under warranty, but who knows.

I'm not sure I would buy another one if Stihl does not come through on this repair.

marckxman
05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
coolgreen- This is the only regular complaint I hear that keeps me from just jumping on this machine. I guess I will roll the dice today and just get one. Hopefully this issue is resolved.

I have been using a 20 year old Echo PB400 so I imagine this will be a step up. I just hope this unit lasts as long as my Echo. I doubt it will though.

Hope you get your warranty issue handled.

LawnBrother
05-27-2008, 09:03 AM
A reason NOT to buy one? Maybe you want to pay the same money for something heavier and weaker.

bill8379
05-27-2008, 12:15 PM
It is pretty heavy if you're doing yard clean ups with them. The tire on my lawn Vacuum was broken and I'm still waiting for a new one to come in, anyway I bought the br600 hoping to use it to blow all the thatch in piles. My old echo PB-260 was useless for that but the br600 did a great job. It made the lawns look great, I still think vacuums are better and faster.

Once I started mowing, I had to blow clippings around on a few over grown lawns and the br600 was a great time saver for that as well. So easy to start.

The only problem I have is the engine bogging out because the gas tank is half full. That is a bad design but one I'll gladly live with. I keep my br600 in the cab with me so no one stihls it.

lawnboy dan
05-27-2008, 04:18 PM
use ultra oil and you will have no problems

Lazer_Z
05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
It is pretty heavy if you're doing yard clean ups with them. The tire on my lawn Vacuum was broken and I'm still waiting for a new one to come in, anyway I bought the br600 hoping to use it to blow all the thatch in piles. My old echo PB-260 was useless for that but the br600 did a great job. It made the lawns look great, I still think vacuums are better and faster.

Once I started mowing, I had to blow clippings around on a few over grown lawns and the br600 was a great time saver for that as well. So easy to start.

The only problem I have is the engine bogging out because the gas tank is half full. That is a bad design but one I'll gladly live with. I keep my br600 in the cab with me so no one stihls it. :laugh: Nice play on words! D@mn, Another gas tank half full bogging problem. I still don't get what's going on with that, the only time my 600 bogged was when it was basically bone dry while doing a big fall clean up.

marckxman, I know I've got well over 100+ hours on my first generation Stihl BR600 and I could not be happier with it. It wasn't my first 4Mix Stihl though. My first 4Mix Stihl was a now 4 year old FC110 edger. I run the oil in the orange bottle and I just started buying mid grad fuel and it seems, to me anyway that I have a little more power than I use to have with just running regular. I also have a Stihl FS 90 R trimmer that is a little beast and will cut through anything I ask it to.

So, My advice would be to buy the BR600, you won't regret it.

mowerman90
05-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I bought mine when they first came out and have had it over 2 years now. One valve adjustment by the dealer (for free) and no other problems. I mow over 60 lawns per week, solo, year round.

Lazer_Z
05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I bought mine when they first came out and have had it over 2 years now. One valve adjustment by the dealer (for free) and no other problems. I mow over 60 lawns per week, solo, year round.Very well said Ed. How does your Stihl like the FL heat? I know none of my Stihl's mind the mild Jersey heat, but you guys get days that would prolly kill this Jersey boy.

marckxman
05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the advise. I bought one this AM as soon as the shop opened. I called ahead and they had it ready and waiting w/ all the warranty papers filled out for me and everything. $480 out the door.
I got to the first account and I couldn't wait to use it.
The thing fired up after three pulls and I went to work.
At first I thought it wasn't revving enough and was way too quiet. I then remembered what I had read here and figured that was normal.
I liked the straps. Very comfortable.
I like the weight. It feels good on your back.
I like the sound and how quiet it is.
I LOVED how it started on one pull every time after the first account.
I like the power but honestly, I thought it had more beans. Maybe I had just built it up in my mind to be some kind of flame-throwing paint stripper, but it wasn't. It is better than my old blower (Echo pb 400) but I expected that.
All in all I am happy. I got some good work done today and the blower is nice. I ran 87 unl with Echo Power Blend. I will probably upgrade to 89 on the next fill up.

Firefighter337
05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I bought the 550. My next one will be a 550. I am satisfied.

wimpy
05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the advise. I bought one this AM as soon as the shop opened. I called ahead and they had it ready and waiting w/ all the warranty papers filled out for me and everything. $480 out the door.
I got to the first account and I couldn't wait to use it.
The thing fired up after three pulls and I went to work.
At first I thought it wasn't revving enough and was way too quiet. I then remembered what I had read here and figured that was normal.
I liked the straps. Very comfortable.
I like the weight. It feels good on your back.
I like the sound and how quiet it is.
I LOVED how it started on one pull every time after the first account.
I like the power but honestly, I thought it had more beans. Maybe I had just built it up in my mind to be some kind of flame-throwing paint stripper, but it wasn't. It is better than my old blower (Echo pb 400) but I expected that.
All in all I am happy. I got some good work done today and the blower is nice. I ran 87 unl with Echo Power Blend. I will probably upgrade to 89 on the next fill up.

First, congrats on the blower!
Second, it takes a couple of tanks to break it in.
Third, immediately get rid of that mix, and start fresh with 89 from Chevron and mix it with STIHL HP Ultra full synthetic, or the STIHL HP Super synthetic blend if you're on a budget.

That Echo oil is trash and your blower will end up in the shop often from carbon build up and fouled plugs, dropped rpms, etc. Amsoil is excellent oil as well, but HP Ultra is better.

Just Mow
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Third, immediately get rid of that mix, and start fresh with 89 from Chevron and mix it with STIHL HP Ultra full synthetic, or the STIHL HP Super synthetic blend if you're on a budget.

That Echo oil is trash and your blower will end up in the shop often from carbon build up and fouled plugs, dropped rpms, etc. Amsoil is excellent oil as well, but HP Ultra is better.

Good post.
The Ultra cleans out any carbon deposits.

STIHL GUY
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
i have never had trouble with my stihl backpack blower

fastcat
05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
wait till you start blowing leaves. i moved a huges pile of wet leaves that i never thought was going to go anywere. i bought mine in the middle of fall and it saved me so much time.

bill8379
05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
D@mn, Another gas tank half full bogging problem. I still don't get what's going on with that, the only time my 600 bogged was when it was basically bone dry while doing a big fall clean up.

My fuel filter is right under the gas cap. I suppose it's there for convenience, when you want to change the filter.

Since the tank is shallow and long I figure the gas sloshes to one side and the filter sucks a bit of air. I made a thread about it and had various solutions offered. Some think the filter is all plastic and floats so they say tie a weight to it. A dealer told me to shove it to the right side of the gas tank with a coat hanger. I haven't done anything though, I learned to just live with it. when it bogs down I stay perfetly level for a bit then it comes back. If I know I'm almost empty I may even lean to the left trying to get the filter to suck some gas.:laugh:

Mowerboy04
05-27-2008, 10:40 PM
save your self the head acke and buy a red max 7001, all my sthil equipment i bought last july is junk. the br 600 i bought is hard to start, its stalls regularly and trying to get and support from sthil forget about it they have the worst customer support in the world. As for there trimmers i bough the fs 90r i have 2 actuly one i bought 2 years ago and have no problems, the one i bought in july is hard to start, dosn't idel good, had very poor throttle responce, bogs under load to sum it up its a pice of junk. so would i buy sthil again.... no!

and if there is anyone from sthil on here it would be nice if i could get some help.

Just Mow
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
My fuel filter is right under the gas cap. I suppose it's there for convenience, when you want to change the filter.

Since the tank is shallow and long I figure the gas sloshes to one side and the filter sucks a bit of air. I made a thread about it and had various solutions offered. Some think the filter is all plastic and floats so they say tie a weight to it. A dealer told me to shove it to the right side of the gas tank with a coat hanger. I haven't done anything though, I learned to just live with it. when it bogs down I stay perfetly level for a bit then it comes back. If I know I'm almost empty I may even lean to the left trying to get the filter to suck some gas.:laugh:

There is a new fuel line available with a weighted filter to fix this. It is put on all new units now.

Just Mow
05-27-2008, 10:46 PM
save your self the head acke and buy a red max 7001, all my sthil equipment i bought last july is junk. the br 600 i bought is hard to start, its stalls regularly and trying to get and support from sthil forget about it they have the worst customer support in the world. As for there trimmers i bough the fs 90r i have 2 actuly one i bought 2 years ago and have no problems, the one i bought in july is hard to start, dosn't idel good, had very poor throttle responce, bogs under load to sum it up its a pice of junk. so would i buy sthil again.... no!

and if there is anyone from sthil on here it would be nice if i could get some help.

Probably due to the oil you are running. What are you using for oil.

marckxman
05-27-2008, 11:08 PM

You sound like you have a very strong opion on oil. This is a good thing.

Why is the Echo Power blend junk?

Why is the Ultra so good?

Don't get me wrong, I will run it if I should. Just wondering why.

marckxman
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Already bought it. Starts easy for me.

Hope you get your issues resolved.

marckxman
05-27-2008, 11:12 PM
BTW- should I chuck the spark arrester now?

AmsoilPower
05-27-2008, 11:34 PM
You sound like you have a very strong opion on oil. This is a good thing.

Why is the Echo Power blend junk?

Why is the Ultra so good?

Don't get me wrong, I will run it if I should. Just wondering why.

For virtually no carbon build-up (which is the main problem w/ 4-mixes) I suggest checking into Amsoil Saber Professional 2-cycle oil. I have included a link for reference. Remember, if you sign as a commercial account you save 20-30% off retail. PM or email me with any questions.

www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1521372&page=storefront/atp

XterraJohn
05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
For virtually no carbon build-up (which is the main problem w/ 4-mixes) I suggest checking into Amsoil Saber Professional 2-cycle oil. I have included a link for reference. Remember, if you sign as a commercial account you save 20-30% off retail. PM or email me with any questions.

www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1521372&page=storefront/atp

I notice a couple people in this thread talking about trying to get warranty service on this machine due to internal engine problems. Will the Amsoil work okay when mixed to 50:1 in order to preserve the Stihl warranty?

AmsoilPower
05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I notice a couple people in this thread talking about trying to get warranty service on this machine due to internal engine problems. Will the Amsoil work okay when mixed to 50:1 in order to preserve the Stihl warranty?

Yes it will work okay but it is designed to run at a leaner ratio, say 80:1 is optimal. I do not know of anyone who runs it at 50:1. There could be some carbon build-up at a 50:1 ratio. Amsoil meets or exceeds the specs of Stihl oil, therefore warranty cannot be denied when using Amsoil leaner than 50:1.

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Amsoil meets or exceeds the specs of Stihl oil, therefore warranty cannot be denied when using Amsoil leaner than 50:1.

I was with you up until this sentence. How does intentionally using less oil than the manual specifies not allow them to claim that you did not lubricate your machine as specified? That seems like it would be like someone taking their truck in for warranty service with only 2 quarts of oil in the pan instead of 6.

K/B
05-28-2008, 06:25 AM
BTW- should I chuck the spark arrester now?

No - in some states it is illegal to remove the spark arrestor. Hefty fines, check your local regulation.

Mowerboy04
05-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Probably due to the oil you are running. What are you using for oil.

i use echo oil

lawnboy dan
05-28-2008, 07:46 AM
there are many posts saying to use only sthil ultra oil yet this ninrod uses echo oil in his brand new unit!

Ridin' Around
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
I was with you up until this sentence. How does intentionally using less oil than the manual specifies not allow them to claim that you did not lubricate your machine as specified? That seems like it would be like someone taking their truck in for warranty service with only 2 quarts of oil in the pan instead of 6.

It's not the same as 2 quarts in a 6 quart pan it has to do with the lubricating properties of the oil being mixed as well as its ability to stay in suspension while in the fuel. Lots of things to look at when discusssing 2 cycle mixes look at Amsoil Power's other posts we have had several heated discussions on the topic.

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
It's not the same as 2 quarts in a 6 quart pan it has to do with the lubricating properties of the oil being mixed as well as its ability to stay in suspension while in the fuel. Lots of things to look at when discusssing 2 cycle mixes look at Amsoil Power's other posts we have had several heated discussions on the topic.

I certainly don't want another heated discussion, if that's been the norm. However, am I to understand that I can buy a Stihl blower, have some spectacular engine failure due to the valves coming apart like someone mentioned in a previous post; and then take the blower in for warranty repair; and then if asked what ratio of oil I've been using, I can truthfully tell them it's been running at 80:1, instead of the recommended 50:1; and then tell them that I've been using Amsoil instead of the recommended Stihl oil; and they will tell me, "Well, since you used Amsoil, NO PROBLEM that you ran the mixture WAY leaner than we recommend, since it's Amsoil, we'll honor the warranty no questions asked."? Is that how this would go down? Or, would they tell me that since I went against their recommendations and then had a subsequent failure, that I'm on my own and if I want my engine fixed that I need to call Amsoil?

Happy Frog
05-28-2008, 02:33 PM

Wrong, oil ratio as nothing to do with it. Amsoil, meets or exceed the lubrication requirements for the standards it is certified under at a 100:1 ratio.
Most other oil brands need a 50:1 ratio to just meet these requirements.

Using Amsoil at 80:1 exceeds by far the lubrication requirements of any engine manufacturer and cannot void the warranty.

AmsoilPower
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Wrong, oil ratio as nothing to do with it. Amsoil, meets or exceed the lubrication requirements for the standards it is certified under at a 100:1 ratio.
Most other oil brands need a 50:1 ratio to just meet these requirements.

Using Amsoil at 80:1 exceeds by far the lubrication requirements of any engine manufacturer and cannot void the warranty.

Very well said. I could not have done any better myself!!!

Happy Frog
05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Very well said. I could not have done any better myself!!!

I sent you a PM with my address for the check... :laugh:

marckxman
05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Still, I went down to the store today and bought the Stihl Ultra and mixed it with some 89 oct.
I even did a search and found a gas station nearby that sells gas with no ethanol mixed in it. A rarity in my area.

luckydooley
05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I certainly don't want another heated discussion, if that's been the norm. However, am I to understand that I can buy a Stihl blower, have some spectacular engine failure due to the valves coming apart like someone mentioned in a previous post; and then take the blower in for warranty repair; and then if asked what ratio of oil I've been using, I can truthfully tell them it's been running at 80:1, instead of the recommended 50:1; and then tell them that I've been using Amsoil instead of the recommended Stihl oil; and they will tell me, "Well, since you used Amsoil, NO PROBLEM that you ran the mixture WAY leaner than we recommend, since it's Amsoil, we'll honor the warranty no questions asked."? Is that how this would go down? Or, would they tell me that since I went against their recommendations and then had a subsequent failure, that I'm on my own and if I want my engine fixed that I need to call Amsoil?

For some strange reason, I'm thinking like you on this one. However, I have been known to be wrong in the past. Maybe we could run this scenario by a dealer and share the response.

johnnybravo8802
05-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Mine starts on the first pull after it's primed 5 times and has tons of torque-CFM. I'm very pleased

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
For some strange reason, I'm thinking like you on this one. However, I have been known to be wrong in the past. Maybe we could run this scenario by a dealer and share the response.

+1 I'm not saying that I think Amsoil would cause a problem, because a lot of people seem to be really happy with it, I'm just questioning whether a dealer would look at it the same way, especially when faced with the prospect that they may have higher-than-average warranty problems with a particular machine.

I'm planning on picking up a new blower in the near future, so, I may ask the dealer then.

johnnybravo8802
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm using the standard Stihl oil and 93 octane and haven't had a prob. yet. I was told by a dealer that the probs. are more with the gas octane versus the type of oil-just what I've heard.

Yater
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Last I heard, amsoil was not approved for my redmax blower. If I'm wrong, please post the literature that says so. I'd consider it if I could get my paws on it locally. Unfortunately, they're shooting themselves in the foot by not offering a dealer network. I usually buy my oil when I need it. I can't buy it in town, so they're out.

AmsoilPower
05-28-2008, 11:24 PM
I sent you a PM with my address for the check... :laugh:

I don't care who you are.......that's funny right there!!!!:laugh::laugh:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Ridin' Around
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
+1 I'm not saying that I think Amsoil would cause a problem, because a lot of people seem to be really happy with it, I'm just questioning whether a dealer would look at it the same way, especially when faced with the prospect that they may have higher-than-average warranty problems with a particular machine.

I'm planning on picking up a new blower in the near future, so, I may ask the dealer then.

You will have to have a failure due to carbon build-up, before the dealer is going to question your oil usage. That's not going to happen when running Amsoil even out to 100:1. I'm not sellin Amsoil here, I'm trying to help out people who want to know How to Avoid PROBLEMS with BR blowers. I am a Stihl Certified Tech and know that alot of the valve issues from the early BR's were oil related, Stihl has stepped up and fixed alot of these anyway. They even were telling people to use the old black bottles of "low smoke" oil when the 4-mixes hit the streets. They have changed that recommendation and now want only a Synthetic used. Of course they say to use the one with their label, But do you think Stihl has fired up a refinery somewhere? No they are buying oil and putting it in bottles. So that takes us to looking at an oil Spec which for 2 cycle is...

Caution Educational Material Below read with caution or you might learn something:dizzy:

For air cooled 2 strokes the most commonly used spec is the JASO or Japanese Automobile Standards Organization. They currently have 4 specs:
FA this is the original spec set by them. It established a lubricity standard and also regulated detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke output, and exhaust blocking (carbon buildup on the dreaded spark arrestor screen)
FB this increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke, and exhaust blocking requirements over FA
FC leaves the initial torque, and lubricity requirements the same as FB but tremendously increased the requirements for exhaust smoke, Exhaust blocking and also has higher detergent requirements over the FB
FD This spec remains the same as FC only with a higher detergency requirement.

Other specs accepted are the ISO (International Standards Organization) a European standard. The ISO-L-EGD is basically the same as the JASO FD.
Just as a note a TC-W(3) is a water cooled spec, 3 being the latest, this from the National Marine Manufacturers Association or NMMA. DO NOT USE WATER COOLED OIL IN YOUR AIR COOLED MACHINES
API also has a single spec, TC -that is similar to JASO FC.
So, here's the moral of the story- as long as you use a high quality synthetic oil which meets or exceeds the higher specs, and Amsoil does meet that spec at a 100:1 ratio (JASO FD). The manufacture of your equipment cannot void your warranty. This is the MOSS-MAGNUSON WARRANTY ACT, it is federal legislation that covers the use of aftermarket parts. In this case use of a non OEM brand of oil is considered and aftermarket part the same as putting Napa brake pads on your truck.
I encourage you to go get your bottle of mix oil and look at it. What spec are you using? Now that you have learned something walk with your head higher because you are now an informed consumer and can make your own decisions instead of listeneing to your "buddies".
RANT ENDED!:waving:

Happy Frog
05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
You will have to have a failure due to carbon build-up, before the dealer is going to question your oil usage. That's not going to happen when running Amsoil even out to 100:1. I'm not sellin Amsoil here, I'm trying to help out people who want to know How to Avoid PROBLEMS with BR blowers. I am a Stihl Certified Tech and know that alot of the valve issues from the early BR's were oil related, Stihl has stepped up and fixed alot of these anyway. They even were telling people to use the old black bottles of "low smoke" oil when the 4-mixes hit the streets. They have changed that recommendation and now want only a Synthetic used. Of course they say to use the one with their label, But do you think Stihl has fired up a refinery somewhere? No they are buying oil and putting it in bottles. So that takes us to looking at an oil Spec which for 2 cycle is...

Caution Educational Material Below read with caution or you might learn something:dizzy:

For air cooled 2 strokes the most commonly used spec is the JASO or Japanese Automobile Standards Organization. They currently have 4 specs:
FA this is the original spec set by them. It established a lubricity standard and also regulated detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke output, and exhaust blocking (carbon buildup on the dreaded spark arrestor screen)
FB this increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke, and exhaust blocking requirements over FA
FC leaves the initial torque, and lubricity requirements the same as FB but tremendously increased the requirements for exhaust smoke, Exhaust blocking and also has higher detergent requirements over the FB
FD This spec remains the same as FC only with a higher detergency requirement.

Other specs accepted are the ISO (International Standards Organization) a European standard. The ISO-L-EGD is basically the same as the JASO FD.
Just as a note a TC-W(3) is a water cooled spec, 3 being the latest, this from the National Marine Manufacturers Association or NMMA. DO NOT USE WATER COOLED OIL IN YOUR AIR COOLED MACHINES
API also has a single spec, TC -that is similar to JASO FC.
So, here's the moral of the story- as long as you use a high quality synthetic oil which meets or exceeds the higher specs, and Amsoil does meet that spec at a 100:1 ratio (JASO FD). The manufacture of your equipment cannot void your warranty. This is the MOSS-MAGNUSON WARRANTY ACT, it is federal legislation that covers the use of aftermarket parts. In this case use of a non OEM brand of oil is considered and aftermarket part the same as putting Napa brake pads on your truck.
I encourage you to go get your bottle of mix oil and look at it. What spec are you using? Now that you have learned something walk with your head higher because you are now an informed consumer and can make your own decisions instead of listeneing to your "buddies".
RANT ENDED!:waving:

I wish I could read. I would have learned something... :cry:

Ridin' Around
05-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I wish I could read. I would have learned something... :cry:

I'll put some pictures in my next post for you! :waving::laugh:
Make sure we both get a check from Amsoil Power!

sawman65
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM

funny two years ago the fs90r was not made sure its not a 110?. pm me your serial #'s and let me look them up. and we can take a look to see if we can fix your problems

XterraJohn
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I just looked through my Stihl manual and could NOT find anything specifically saying that I had to use a 50:1 oil, only that they recommend Stihl 50:1 or another high-quality oil. It appears that my assumptions were not correct. Thanks for the thought-provoking explanation, Ridin' Around.

Bennett scape
05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I use a BR 420 C because me and it have been through a hell of a lot together and i have grown attached to it. I have used them for 8 years and no problems. I found a new one recently and bought it with out hesitation i love it. however i have heard nothing but good things about the 600 and the Redmax.:):)

Ridin' Around
05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I just looked through my Stihl manual and could NOT find anything specifically saying that I had to use a 50:1 oil, only that they recommend Stihl 50:1 or another high-quality oil. It appears that my assumptions were not correct. Thanks for the thought-provoking explanation, Ridin' Around.

:waving: That's why we're all here... to learn something.(I think) Thanks for being open minded and listening!:clapping:

HenryB
05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Running Walmart 2 cycle oil in my 4 mixes Zero problems for over 2 years now:waving:

Saxman
05-30-2008, 02:26 PM
To the new owner of a BR600, let it break in for a couple of tanks of fuel then have the dealer set the engine speed again. After my BR600 was broken in and reset it had alot more power. It is important to use the Stihl ULTRA synthetic oil and at least 89 octane fuel. My Stihl tech told me carbon on the exhaust valves is the main problem caused by non synthetic oil

marckxman
05-30-2008, 08:54 PM
To the new owner of a BR600, let it break in for a couple of tanks of fuel then have the dealer set the engine speed again. After my BR600 was broken in and reset it had alot more power. It is important to use the Stihl ULTRA synthetic oil and at least 89 octane fuel. My Stihl tech told me carbon on the exhaust valves is the main problem caused by non synthetic oil

I am the new owner. I am using Ultra and 89 oct (non methanol).
I have been using it all week and still feel it is under achieving.
Thanks for the advice. I will take it after next week and see if it has a little more juice in it.

Youngone07
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow what a great machine the br600 is a great blower and handles all my debris problems with ease, hopefully going to buy another by fall

Zooropa93
05-31-2008, 12:23 AM
never had any probs out of mine. i run 93 oct and stihl hp oil

Every time I sell a 600 i tell the customer they need to use the ultra oil in it. We've had plenty of issues with the 600 over the few years it's been out but have had a major reduction in carbon build up problems since we converted our 600 users to the full syntheic ultra. We don't even carry the orange bottle HP conventional at all anymore.

cgaengineer
05-31-2008, 12:39 AM

I had problems with the Echo oil myself...I would have never believed oil would make that much difference in how it ran but it did. It also smoked more.

ed2hess
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Every time I sell a 600 i tell the customer they need to use the ultra oil in it. We've had plenty of issues with the 600 over the few years it's been out but have had a major reduction in carbon build up problems since we converted our 600 users to the full syntheic ultra. We don't even carry the orange bottle HP conventional at all anymore.

What is the factory saying about what the failure cause is for these blown engine that keep popping up? Is the problem with the rings failing, or is it with the valves? One guy on here said the valve stuck in the head and I guess that suggests the valve return mechanism failed. I can not image anybody with one of thise not using the stihl oil. From what I hear if you can prove you used stihl oil they fixed one that was 3 years old.

Firefighter337
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I use the Orange bottle with 93. Zero problems.

The issue with the 80:1. I would call Stihl Manufacturing myself to verify it would not void the warranty.

The issue with Only Ultra oil. Using anything else can not void your warranty as long as it meets or exceeds the factory request (unless noted otherwise). If 89 or better octane and the recommended oil is used AND you still have carbon build up problems, call Stihl and tell them your situation. Have them sort it out with your dealer.

S man
06-10-2008, 10:34 PM

I was thinking about the br600 next time around. I have been happy with the 7001s though.

dura to the max
06-10-2008, 10:44 PM
i loved the 7001 but i like my stihl dealer, i think im gonna try the 600 when it comes time for a brand new stihl. i have 2 older ones, and i get them on ebay cheap, so it might be a while. i love stihl products.

S man
06-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I use a BR 420 C because me and it have been through a hell of a lot together and i have grown attached to it. I have used them for 8 years and no problems. I found a new one recently and bought it with out hesitation i love it. however i have heard nothing but good things about the 600 and the Redmax.:):)

How's the br420 working for you? Does it have power? Any probs with the cat. converter?

johnnybravo8802
06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
The BR 600 is night and day over the BR 420 as far as power. It moves a lot more volume. In fact, I used to have a Little Wonder and now I wouldn't even need it with the power of the BR 600.:weightlifter::weightlifter:

dura to the max
06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
ya'll are making me want one now...:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: