PDA

View Full Version : Hate to be nosey but........

milkie62
05-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Any solo guys out there care to ball park what they take in for lawns,some landscaping and so forth ? I don't see how you can make more than working in a trade with some OT.My employer pays for my life ins,pays part of my health care,matches the 1st 5% of my 410k,5wks vacation,10 paid holidays,12 sick days plus I get to play on the computer like now.I mow to pay for my toys.

desert rose gardening
05-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Around $75,000 working 4 days a week. I work solo and for my self because I don't want to have someone else "pay my way through life":) All the benefits working for some big company is nice but I like to take care of my self:) Like I always say "If it ain't hard it don't count!":weightlifter:

Lawn Enforcer
05-26-2008, 11:57 PM
I would be better off (I'm still in HS) I just hope I can get enough work and can charge enough to support myself and a family someday. I just live in an area where I can't charge a lot, because I wouldn't have customers then. It's tough, but I love this biz! I hope the chemical/fertilizer thing works out well for me, that should bring in plenty of $$$.

Lawnut101
05-27-2008, 12:01 AM
You can make anywhere from $200-400/day mowing lawns, and more for landscaping. I plan on having a medium sized operation someday, but I'm 18 and mostly solo for now.

Lawn-Scapes
05-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Any solo guys out there care to ball park what they take in for lawns,some landscaping and so forth ? I don't see how you can make more than working in a trade with some OT.My employer pays for my life ins,pays part of my health care,matches the 1st 5% of my 410k,5wks vacation,10 paid holidays,12 sick days plus I get to play on the computer like now.I mow to pay for my toys.

You failed to mention what you take in... I have all that you mentioned above except I have around 4 months vacation if I choose.

delphied
05-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Working for a good employer is far better than this especially if you have a trade that you can get a job in. Being in a union is even better. If you can scratch out a living as a solo in this business you are lucky and the liklihood of doing it for 30 years is nil IMHO.

milkie62
05-27-2008, 12:38 AM
I am in the middle $90k with OT.

TomberLawn
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
What kind of toys do you have that $90k doesn't take care of?

I'm solo/part-time right now and thinking about the future. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a huge company that can run on its own so I can do whatever, or do I want to actually know my customers by name, or at least meet with them personally at some point in servicing their property. Some days I think I'd like to have just a couple of crews, then some days I think I want a multi-million $ enterprise with multiple divisions. I don't have a girlfriend right now, but I do want to get married and have a family. To build a really big business takes a lot of time and commitment.

So, I figure I can work decent hours (40-50/week) and earn a good living or devote my life to my business (60-80 hrs/week) and make a lot of money, but miss my family. I'll keep praying about it and ask that the Lord will bless me with the customers and employees I need to build a great business without killing myself in the process.

J&J Customs
05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
i started to mow just for extra money but lately ive been really thinking about going into it full time and hiring employees, advertising, etc. ive also changed my major from business management to landscape architecture, but right now doing 20 yards averaging $40 with a couple $100's just mowing and trimming.. soon to go to full service landscape and grounds keeping.

milkie62
05-27-2008, 02:38 AM
It just seems like there is nothing left after paycheck goes into checking acct.

bock
05-27-2008, 02:58 AM
How long until you guys start getting a pay check. Our business is just me and my brother and we havent had a pay check yet and it has been and year and a half. We have very minimal debt too? Do you guys ever have to drain the business accout down to zero to get paid?

F3Nelson
05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
How long until you guys start getting a pay check. Our business is just me and my brother and we havent had a pay check yet and it has been and year and a half. We have very minimal debt too? Do you guys ever have to drain the business accout down to zero to get paid?

Id have to drain the shyt out of my savings if I hadnt been paid in a year and a half.

Just curious........WTF is wrong with you.........Ive gone a few months without billing before, but how do you not get paid in a year and a half.

Id suggest you hang it up

bock
05-27-2008, 03:43 AM
IDN I just get this sense that I need to keep a good chunk of change in the account?