PDA

View Full Version : walk-behind string trimmers

wisco
05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi all. Brand-spanking new here. Saw this site mentioned in Gardenweb.

I'm planting lots of seedlings in what is now an alfalfa field. This project could well last the next 10 years. Saturday, I tried out my nephews Craftsman walk-behind string trimmer to cut down about 18 inches worth of alfalfa between the tree rows. I was able to determine that a unit of this type will be adequate for my needs. I'm looking for the most reliable, heavy-duty unit of this type that is available. I'd prefer it not be self-propelled. There was no difficulty pushing the one I tried, and for my application, self-propelled is not desired.

About the only thing that would have been better for this app. would have been a wider swath. But in looking at much info on the web, it seems 22" is standard, and a bit of an exaggeration at that;^).

So there you have it. Any advice or recommendations on this search? I noticed Echo seems to offer what may be somewhat beefier units.

Any opinions are appreciated......wisco

milkie62
05-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Check out the DR trimmer.Just got the info in the mail the other day.They are located in VT.

tb8100
05-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi all. Brand-spanking new here. Saw this site mentioned in Gardenweb.

I'm planting lots of seedlings in what is now an alfalfa field. This project could well last the next 10 years. Saturday, I tried out my nephews Craftsman walk-behind string trimmer to cut down about 18 inches worth of alfalfa between the tree rows. I was able to determine that a unit of this type will be adequate for my needs. I'm looking for the most reliable, heavy-duty unit of this type that is available. I'd prefer it not be self-propelled. There was no difficulty pushing the one I tried, and for my application, self-propelled is not desired.

About the only thing that would have been better for this app. would have been a wider swath. But in looking at much info on the web, it seems 22" is standard, and a bit of an exaggeration at that;^).

So there you have it. Any advice or recommendations on this search? I noticed Echo seems to offer what may be somewhat beefier units.

Any opinions are appreciated......wisco

The Echo/Bearcat units are very nice- nicer than most other offerings. As a result, you'll find they're a bit more money. I want to say they start in the $600s.

J&J Customs
05-27-2008, 02:31 PM
i had an old DR and ran it into the ground probably toughest machine you can buy for cutting weeds and taller grass you pay for it but trust me its worth it

wisco
05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Thnx for the replies. As far as you all know, am I safe in assuming there is not a machine out there with wider swath ability?

Thanks again...........wisco

lifetree
05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Check out the DR trimmer.Just got the info in the mail the other day.They are located in VT.

I agree, check out the DR line of trimmer/mowers !! I have their commercial unit which is self propelled and it is an awesome machine. However, they have other units which are not self propelled and will surely meet your needs.

tb8100
05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
there are always walk behind brush hogs. They're like a 36" cut I think. DR, Billy Goat, and Snapper/Ferris are good choices for that.

wisco
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Thnx tb8100. Yes, I did much looking at the brush hogs. I believe that while they would give me a wider cut, in all other respects, including price;^) they are much more than I need.

I've read reviews aplenty on the DR trimmers. Mostly positive, but again, these seem rather spendy. I'm leaning towards the Echo line. More machine than say, the Craftsman, but not quite Cadillac level $$.

wisco

jason9696
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I second other's opinions in the DR. I have the 6 hp residential version, and I love it. You can even put a "Beaver" blade on it, which is a circular plate with a chain saw blade around it. It will cut down saplings up to 2" thick with no problem.

Margie
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Was surfing the internet for a self propelled trimmer today and came across this very interesting site. Think I am going to learn much here. T
Someone posted about a Craftsman walk-behind string trimmer and that may be what will do me, so thank you and will check it out.
In Aug/Sept of 2006 bought a DR Trimmer/mower commercial grade and self propelled. Didn't use it much in 2006 for it was getting late in the season and most of the work had been done but was excited come spring 2007 to put the trimmer to work. It was great and did everything they advertise. I am an elderly woman so beleive me when I say it was easy to use. Not a month of use and it stopped working. Got it back on line and within another month it broke down. We have had many problems with this machine including the self propelled doesn't work this year and just several days ago it has locked up completely. The machine has 127.9 hours on it. Think it should have lasted longer.
Thanks for all your posting and they will be very helpful.
Margie

johnnybravo8802
08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I used to rent the DR field and brush mower and it does a great job as long as it's flat. The Billy Goat is the biggest waste of money out there! It may be cheaper to rent one from time to time-DR field and brush.

Margie
08-12-2008, 11:26 PM
We don't have a flat yard. Thanks for trying to help. Margie

johnnybravo8802
08-13-2008, 12:16 AM
We don't have a flat yard. Thanks for trying to help. Margie
From what I've heard, the wheeled string trimmers will tip fairly easily on any type of slope because they're light weight. Also, if you are trimming around hard surfaces, you'll be replacing string often and that can be a pain. I used to use a fixed head on my weedeater and gave that up quickly. I can't understand people who prefer that over tap-and-go.

Grass King
08-13-2008, 01:54 AM
http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepCategory.aspx?p1Name=DRPowerHome&Name=VersaProZMower2Step&BC=0:Home&LinkType=2&cm_re=Home%20Page%201-_-Machine%20Line-Up-_-VPZ

hsvhobbit
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I've got one of the Gravely walk behind string trimmers. It does a good enough job but to be honest, after I got my Stihl FS110 string trimmer, my wife is the only one that uses the Gravely. The Gravely will take up to .155" line and the Stihl takes .110 line yet the Stihl line seems to hold up as well or better and cuts just as good. Not sure if you've ever tried a commercial grade of string trimmer but they're in a totally different power class from the average homeowner string trimmer.