View Full Version : 1/2 inch tap (for threading stripped threads, duh)

05-27-2008, 03:07 AM
Does any one know of a tap that can be used to repair stripped 1/2 inch threads. Many of times I come to home owner systems were they have stripped the threads in the ground and I (and the homeowner) don't want to replace the fitting due to it being in a bad spot (right by a wall) So I was wondering if there was a product like a riser extractor type product used for rethreading.

05-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Buy some marlex elbows, and thread one of them into the 'ruined' fitting, and work from there.

05-27-2008, 08:08 AM
PVC? Galvanized? Poly? I think there is a tool you can use, but if it's poly or PVC just rip it out and do it over. I know it may take more time and especially if in a tight area but in the long run it will probably be better. I have done the soft marlex ell trick as well.

05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not in irrigation guys, but would something like this work?
thread repair (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/department/tools_shop/tools_shop2/specialty_tools/tools_specialty/69165.aspx?src=T28WE212) but your talking about the other threads aren't you? never mind.

AI Inc
05-27-2008, 06:45 PM
sometimes just threading a galvi or other metal fitting onto it , them back off can do it.

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
them back off can do it.

Words of wisdom from the least coast.

05-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I've used a metal nipple as a 'tap' once or twice, but I like the marlex.

05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I've used a metal nipple as a 'tap' once or twice, but I like the marlex.

Ditto... I go marlex my self.

05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
marlex here also with teflon if the threads are really hammered

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 09:34 PM