PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Metro 36 inch cut - streaking

Jer77
05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a 36 inch Exmark Metro with a 12.5 hp kawasaki engine that is equipped with a mulching kit.

I am experiencing a pretty severe streaking problem and have checked the following:

1) 3 spacers below the blade
2) Checked tire pressure (14 psi on rear wheels, front are not flat)
3) Checked spacers on front wheels - consistent on both sides
4) Sharpened blades and cleaned deck
5) Checked throttle to insure it is running at highest level

Anyone else experience this - Help me troubleshoot

Tvov
05-27-2008, 12:21 PM
What exactly do you mean by streaking? Assuming you mean it is leaving a strip of uncut grass in the middle...

Are the blades factory blades? Or "aftermarket"? Sometimes aftermarket blades may be off by 1/16" (or even less), and that is enough to leave uncut grass. I check factory blades also, just to be sure.

Are the blades older and have been sharpened a lot? I found that many times with older blades that have been sharpened constantly, when they have lost about 1/2" of steel they don't cut as well, leaving a strip.

Jer77
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I should tell you more about the streaking - it is leaving a strip of uncut grass on the discharge side while mowing back and forth.

I have tried to increase the overlap while mowing but that does not help.

Tvov
05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Are you using a "mulching" plate to block the discharge opening?

Jer77
05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, I am using a mulching plate to block the discharge.

Tvov
05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Are you using "mulching" blades? Or the standard high-lift blades? Mulching blades might work better, but you may have to slow down a little when mowing.

Jer77
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
To be honest, I don't know. How can I tell the difference between mulching and high lift? I would assume they are mulching blades just based on the fact that the dealer installed the mulching kit and the blades had not been removed until I purchased the mower late last summer. This is a 2002 model sold as new in 2003 and used very little in 2003 and 2004. It sat in a garage for 3 seasons until I purchased it last July.

I did receive another set of brand new blades (black with tape still on them) with the mower and the discharge chute.

Regarding mowing speed - i am already going pretty slow, 2nd gear.

44DCNF
05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
I think you just made a mistake in explaining it maybe, but the spacers do not go below the blade. They go between the spindle housing and the blade, or else on top of the spindle housing under the nut. All that should be below the blade is a flat washer and the bolt head.
Does your deck have a little rake to it?

Jer77
05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
You are correct regarding the spacers, I did not communicate that correctly. I have 3 spacers between the spindle housing and the blade.

Yes i believe there is some rake. When I stand back and look at the deck from the side I notice the front of the deck sits a little lower than the rear.

From what I have read, that is what I want, correct?

A-Land
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah that's what you want. So even when you try to overlap it doesn't cut the strip?? That's really weird. Can you post a pic?