PDA

View Full Version : tipping the lawn guy

mowing king
12-23-2001, 09:03 AM
I saw on the Wall St. journal report that the proper Christmas tip for the lawn guy is one visits fee. That would make a nice christmas.

Richard Martin
12-23-2001, 09:12 AM
I've always thought the right way to tip a lawn guy is to get 12 beers in him first and then tip him. They go over just like a cow.

So far I've gotten 3 12 packs of Coors Light longnecks, a $35.00 dollar check and a 25 dollar gift certificate to the OutBack Steak House.

Grass_Slayer
12-23-2001, 09:50 AM
yall suck i havent gotten crap!! only thing i got was a chance to shoot an old 7.62mm turkish mauser! it was good though:D

Ric
12-23-2001, 10:16 AM
Grass Slayer

Glad you didn't get shot. Our your customer trying to tell you something??

sheppard
12-23-2001, 10:28 AM
A whole bag full of satsumas- tasted great but I'm still kolding out hope for some red wine!

Cordially,
Sheppard

summitgroundskeeping
12-23-2001, 11:47 AM
The best tip I ever got was from my favorite client. He gave me all his old stereo equipment from when he used to DJ. Ya about $2500 worth of comercial DJ equipment. :D

mdb landscaping
12-23-2001, 12:12 PM
i got a $75 tip from one customer this year. a few others gave me a tip too, but i thought that was generous of them. i dont expect tips, but it sure was nice to receive.

scagman
12-23-2001, 02:22 PM
I got a $10 gift card to starbucks and a $15 tip It makes me feel special!!!!!!!!!!

GrassChopper
12-23-2001, 02:31 PM
I have gotten a card, a bottle of red wine, $15.00 and $20.00.
I haven't checked the mail, so there may be more (I hope).

E-man
12-23-2001, 02:33 PM
I dont expect tips either but I did get 3 $20.00 checks in the mail. It does make you feel they appreciate the work you do for them.

MATTHEW
12-23-2001, 04:02 PM
So far, a $25 check, a $50 gift certificate, & a loaf of banana bread

wolfpacklawn
12-23-2001, 04:27 PM
Its been an excellent tip season for me-

1 $100 tip (I couldn't believe that one)
1 $50
2 $35
4 $25
and a basket full of meats, cheese, a bottle of wine, chocolates etc. it had to cost about $75

I sent all my regular customers a Christmas card with a certificate for me to pick up and recycle their Christmas trees after the holidays. And they ususally end up giving me money for that too.:)

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-23-2001, 10:45 PM
I have recieved $23 from 3 yards.....for some reason the lady thought the 3 dollars would do me some good.....but every little bit helps!

65hoss
12-24-2001, 02:29 AM
This has been my best tip year. Several customers have sent me checks or cash with a Christmas card. I must have done something right this year.

Green_Thumb_Wolf
12-24-2001, 02:36 PM
So far I have received several cards and some homebaked goods. Makes ya feel like they do notice the effort and all. But by far was the wonderful game of search for the empty light socket. My wife and I returned from a day trip to my inlaws to find two young girls walking quickly from our house. They were so nice they removed a critical bulb from over half the strands to kill my lights. What a wonderful and joyful hour + I spent searching for those elusive empty sockets! :) hehehe Kids!

Next year I'm setting snare traps and maybe a bear trap!!!!!!! or TWO!!!! Shhhh don't tell my wife though, she prefers to use rocksalt in the shotgun! :)

Happy holidays to all! And to all a green lawn!

rixtag
12-24-2001, 04:19 PM
$15.00 From my best residential cust.

Matthew Morgan
12-24-2001, 04:43 PM
ONe Christmas Card. That is all. I guess I suck!

Matthe:angry:

65hoss
12-24-2001, 05:05 PM
Went by a customer's house this morning to pick up my gift she called about. It was a card with a large piece of cash inside. :blob3:

keifer
12-24-2001, 07:07 PM
One all ways give my kids a bag ful of presents got a few double one week payments but one of my jobs gives my and extra month but all in all i kiss a lot of butt.

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-24-2001, 09:43 PM
sounds like you run a dirty business

casey
12-24-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
I've always thought the right way to tip a lawn guy is to get 12 beers in him first and then tip him. They go over just like a cow.

So far I've gotten 3 12 packs of Coors Light longnecks, a $35.00 dollar check and a 25 dollar gift certificate to the OutBack Steak House.

ROTLMAO!

Lots of bottles of wine & a couple bottles of (cheap)scotch, & rum, boxes of chocolates, some small cheques in the mail. Most final payments are recieved just before X-Mas & there are alot of cheapazz's who pay the bill to the penny. They recieve subtle price increases in the new year to ensure a tip is included with the service charge.

lawncare
12-26-2001, 07:10 PM
I got 40 bucks today in the mail with a christmas card,could've kept the card and added a little bit more. im thankful

Jason Pallas
12-26-2001, 10:50 PM
so far
1 $50 tip
1 $20 tip
and 2 Detroit Lions tickets (and I thought I did a great job at this place! Wink. wink. nudge)

The best present I could get though - would be to have the 125 accounts that still owe balances pay me off. I hate chasing my money in the winter!

David Haggerty
12-27-2001, 07:42 AM
24 pounds of premium bacon, boxed and delivered to my house.

It was from my biggest commercial client.

They sent me a Christmas card too. It was signed by the owner and three other members of the corporate staff.

I was as impressed by the card as I was the gift box.

Dave

whitleys
12-27-2001, 05:58 PM
Give Me! Give ME! Did your customers not pay you the fee you agreed to for all the work you performed this year? If so, you were paid in full and the customer owes you nothing more!

And yes I tip well below the 15 - 20% mark at the restaurant if the service is poor!:angry:

Where are the professionals of lawnsite.com weighing in at?

Did anyone give their good customers anything as in "appreciation for your business this past year!" ?

We're just a small, fledging company (scrubs in the high opinion of some) but for the past two years we have delivered gifts to our best customers as tokens of appreciation ... fruit baskets, gourmet nuts, and this year nice 2002 planners. I come from an industry of professionals and professionals tend to understand and appreciate their customers as the source of their livelihood.

Any professionals out there?

BTW we also do a few lawns for nothing or half the value for severely handicapped and widow who otherwise would not have a lawn service or be depending on a relative who would begrudgingly service the lawn 4 or 5 time per season.

OK I'm done now :)

Jason Pallas
12-28-2001, 12:05 AM
Whitelys - settle down here. Let's not get all crazy and high and mighty about the ethics of business and the ettiquite of tipping. We're just discussing some of the nice tips that people have given us this year. That's all. I'm sure we all get paid well for the jobs we do and I'm sure almost everyone of us has a few charity cases that we give a price break to BUT after 20+ years in the business, I can tell you that it's a rare customer that tips.
So, it's a little nice to share and read what others get for tips - re-read the posts. It's not all greed and gimme, gimme. Don't be so quick to jump in and stir the pot. I'm sure lots of us hand out cards or calendars or other tokens of our appreciation to our better customers (try the search feature for other threads). None of us expect tips but they are nice when they arrive. Tone it down a bit - at least for the Holidays.:D

HOMER
12-28-2001, 01:37 AM
Ya.................what Jason said:eek:

All I got was a $20.00 bill and one measly card.:mad:

It's all good though, they ain't fired me!

GreenStar
12-28-2001, 11:09 AM
i get alot of tips from my clients but i never keep them i always donate to the cancer society and if my guy's get tips they dont keep them either i match them and give that away.

see ya when i get back from AZ.

BRIAN GALLO
12-28-2001, 01:13 PM
I always send out an end of the season/start of a new season "thank you for your buisness letter" in appreciation for my accounts - big & small. This year I received quite a few unexpected tips. More important than the tip $$ I got were the notes included that said I did a good job! That's what lets me know I'm achieving my goals.

Lawn277
12-28-2001, 01:38 PM
I have read all the comments on tipping, it looks like we all do buisness about the same. I send out all the x-mas cards, the letters about contract renewal in the spring, the thank-yous at year end. We have a drawing and give away free shirts and coats,ect. to customers. Do we really expect a tip. I sometimes have a hard time believing with this current economy we can get customers at all, that pay as well as they do. Please don't get me wrong here, tips are really nice, it tells us we did a good job for these people and gives us a good feeling of self worth or self appretiation. I guess the best tip is a simple thank you and as one person posted, please pay your bill.
My favorite is the man that donates his tips to a good cause. He has earned my respect.

thanks
Ricks Lawn & Leaf
Iowa

bob
12-30-2001, 10:28 AM
This year I've gotten about $200 in tips, plus a gift certificate for $25 towards a Honeybaked Ham.

dlandscaping
12-30-2001, 11:40 PM
from the client who complains the most that i was goin to drop gave us (3bros) each $10 and another new customer who moved last yr and lost his mower so he hired us gave me and my working brother each $15 or 20 gift card to best buy. i havent been real good with customers and bills and fall services so i was surprised ill get my act together this winter season.

Atlantic Lawn
01-01-2002, 09:08 AM
ALWAYS tip the lawn guy.......He likes cash and trips to the Islands in the winter !

new-man
11-10-2003, 05:58 PM
i got one
"dont mow my lawn anymore"
nice tip, huh

Gene $immons
12-12-2003, 02:22 PM
I only seem to get a few bonuses from customers each year.

Cheap wads.

PaulJ
12-12-2003, 02:27 PM
I've heard of cow tipping but not lawns service tipping.

bluemoon7
12-12-2003, 02:40 PM
I just got a tip from one of my customers.... we charge $65 per cut... she gave my partner and I each $75 and a box of candy

Del9175
12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
I have received $320 in tips so far. The biggest one was $195. The customer paid me twice for the same bill. I called him when I received the second check asking him if I should drop it off or just rip it up. He said keep it as a Christmas bonus. He is ususally good for $75 to $100 each Christmas.

nelbuts
12-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Back in the mid to late 80's I could expect at least $600 in tips. But now I get a couple of gift cert. for dinners. They just don't tip like they used to and I do more commercials too so that reduces the chances.

Aproct
12-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Tips???What are they??This was my first year and I didn't expect to receive anything from my customers. Lets be real, I know we would all love to get something, kinda show appreciation for our services, but I doubt I will get anything. Even though I gave my customers top quality service, them seem to forget about you after the cutting season, even though I sent out Christmas cards. You know the old saying, out of sight out of mind.

Just my $.02.

leeslawncare
12-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Hell if i could just get them to pay me this month.that would be a good tip for me!! not to mention the ones that are late pays.

walker-talker
12-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Received one tip in the last 4 years of service. I told the lady that I would mow her lawn for $35. She gave me $50 and the following week she canceled. Told me that she could not afford me....go figure!!!

troblandscape
12-12-2003, 06:45 PM
I am with you lee, if people would just pay me promply I would be happy, but my bill is at the bottom of the pile:cry:

Cheesedawg1
12-12-2003, 06:53 PM
I get good amount of tips, I think its cuz i am a teen.

Westbrooklawn
12-12-2003, 07:07 PM
One $25 check, two coconut creme pies, and one bottle of Crown Royal. I don't expect anything........but it makes you feel good when your customers show their appreciation.

J & J Mowing
12-12-2003, 07:27 PM
None so far, So I think I will bill again for this month.
:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

impactlandscaping
12-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Not too many cash tips for us. Mostly GC's,wine, and some of our commercials "give" us freebies like not having to pay equipment storage fees for two months in the winter:D , free groceries , and free luch /dinner. I just want everyone to pay their *&%$# bills before Christmas, that would be more than enough for me. I have that feeling I will be putting on my running shoes soon..to chase down my money!!:rolleyes: ;) payup

Merry Christmas everyone, and to a great '04 season!!!!!!

GarPA
12-13-2003, 05:52 AM
I would be satisfied to get a simple "thank-you" from some of commercial accounts to whom we sent large poinsettias.

Like others, I dont expect to get tips. We're paid well for our services and their renewal is all I expect to see this time of year.

I've gotten a few residential tips the past couple of years but I don't expect them. I hate it when people think anyone, owes them a tip...I dont care what business they're in.

crawdad
12-13-2003, 07:01 AM
None yet this year, but this month's payments are just starting to come in. We'll see.
To answer Whitley's post...although it was a couple years ago...
Originally posted by whitleys
Give Me! Give ME! Did your customers not pay you the fee you agreed to for all the work you performed this year? If so, you were paid in full and the customer owes you nothing more!

And yes I tip well below the 15 - 20% mark at the restaurant if the service is poor!:angry:

Where are the professionals of lawnsite.com weighing in at?

Did anyone give their good customers anything as in "appreciation for your business this past year!" ?

....... :)

Yes, I generally give a few customers the last mow free, like the one that always pays the fastest, the cute one that puts thank you notes in with her payment, etc.

Funny, no posts from last years Christmas season in this thread.
Crawdad

EagleLandscape
12-13-2003, 02:50 PM
i got a slap on the butt by some weird muslim lady. i dont think thats considered a tip though

pjslawncare/landscap
12-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by wolfpacklawn
Its been an excellent tip season for me-

1 $100 tip (I couldn't believe that one)
1 $50
2 $35
4 $25
and a basket full of meats, cheese, a bottle of wine, chocolates etc. it had to cost about $75

I sent all my regular customers a Christmas card with a certificate for me to pick up and recycle their Christmas trees after the holidays. And they ususally end up giving me money for that too.:)

Man Wolfpalawn, Thats a real good idea sending a certificate for Christmas tree removal. I bet they like that. Any feedback from customers on that?

gramps
12-13-2003, 04:35 PM
From one cust. I got a $125.00 N.S.F. check humbug

gogetter
12-13-2003, 05:17 PM
I got a card and tip the other day. It's nice to be appreciated.

I mail out cards each year, and next year I want to do something a little more, like a calendar or small gift of some sort.

Expert Lawns
12-13-2003, 07:32 PM
No tips yet. Last year I think I only got 1 or 2. All I want for Christmas is to have all my customers back next year. Tips aren't neccessary I guess. SURE WOULD BE NICE THOUGH!

brucec32
12-14-2003, 02:08 AM
Tipping a cow is funny, but tipping a lawn service worker can get you hurt, since they rarely sleep on their feet. I highly recommend another prank.