PDA

View Full Version : What is the best lighting to use!

nbrockb
05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm new in the lighting part. I've been landscaping, yards, irrigation but I'm branching off into installing some landscape lighting. What would be the most sufficient lighting for 4 up lights shining through some river birches and 4 sidewalk lights or around the edge of a mulched bed? I want a durable product. Who is a good supplier? What is a safe bid on installing 8 lights like this being my first time? Any tips

Thanks,

TXNSLighting
05-27-2008, 04:16 PM
floridaoutdoorlighting.com uniquelighting.com

Chris J
05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
The safest bid would be what the materials cost you plus the amount of profit you wish to make for your time and labor. You will want to also consider what the cost is going to be for you to keep the customer happy ie, call backs, burned out lamps due to improper volting, poor connections, etc...

JoeyD
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Unique Lighting is the best lighting to use................slightly biased!

Lite4
06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I always go to Uniques Odyssey line first if my clients can afford it. I step down to a copper product from there, of which Unique has some good offerings there as well, but it is a bit more limited than their brass line. Vistas copper bullets are pretty much "bulletproof", forgive the pun. They also have a new camlock top and set screw on their path lights that is really nice and secure.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Tim I saw the new Vista Copper pathlights at Lightfair and I have some bad news for them (yes I let them know).... by changing the lensing method in the path light tops they are going to cause glare issues when used on elevated paths and viewed from below. Looking up at these newly designed fixtures is going to provide you a clear view right into the large round frosted glass lenses.

I came up with some alternatives for them... but they didnt seem too interested in listening.... Final soloution is for them to offer both old style and new style.

Regards

NightScenes
06-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I use Kichler, Unique, Vista and Coppermoon and they are all very good products.

Pro-Scapes
06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Tim I saw the new Vista Copper pathlights at Lightfair and I have some bad news for them (yes I let them know).... by changing the lensing method in the path light tops they are going to cause glare issues when used on elevated paths and viewed from below. Looking up at these newly designed fixtures is going to provide you a clear view right into the large round frosted glass lenses.

I came up with some alternatives for them... but they didnt seem too interested in listening.... Final soloution is for them to offer both old style and new style.

Regards

Not all paths are to be install elevated and its up to the designer to select the right light for the application.

The new vista copper bullets were very nice and I really like the way they did the lenses on thoes. The new brass bullets were really nice too altho Im really not a fan of floating sockets anymore.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Billy my point on the new style copper Path Lights from Vista was to reveal a limitation that I found, not to suggest that they will not work in any application.

Here elevation issues are prevalent on almost every job. I had just started to use more of the Vista Copper and Brass product in 2007 and was very happy with it. With the new changes it will greatly impact my ability to install the product line.

The new copper and brass bullet fixtures are indeed very nice products. My only concern there is the new knuckle design. It is sturdy and well built but the notches are at 11-12 degree increments which will make fine tuning/aiming a bit of a challenge.

It's unfortunate that a 'mass market' company like Vista cannot seem to come out with a fixture design that addresses all of these issues. This leaves the likes of HK Lighting, Auroralight, Vision3 and Hevilite maintaining the top spots in my opinion.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
For elevation changes in step or area lighting use the Unqiue Solaris, Canterbury, or Excalibur.

They have fully articulating shrouds to allow you to tweak and adjust to compensate for the elevation change and allows you to angle the shroud so that you do not look directly up into the bulb/lens.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/SOLARIS.htm

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/CANTERBURY.htm

Pro-Scapes
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
This is really where an MR16 pathlight excels. You will have a bit of a hot spot but no uncomfortable glare.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Agreed 100% Billy.... just one of the reasons I am pushing more manufacturers to get into this category of fixture. I talked at length with the Sr. Guys at Vista about this but they seemed skeptical at first. I think Nightscaping is on board with the idea as well as some others.

Winnona currently makes one MR16 based pathlight, Sundown Designs has several varieties available, and there is the MG fixture with limited availability.

Once more manufacturers see the benefits of using the MR16 lamp format (be it LED or Halogen) in an inverted, glare free, path light application I hope to see many more products available from a wide variety of sources.