PDA

View Full Version : selling the system

JB926
05-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I was wondering if my fellow irrigators would share some of there sales points particularly the advantage of a I-20 stainless over a PGP. I am not looking for trade secrets, simply each persons view of the pros and cons

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I was wondering if my fellow irrigators would share some of there sales points particularly the advantage of a I-20 stainless over a PGP. I am not looking for trade secrets, simply each persons view of the pros and cons

We have no trade secrets on this forum. I like stainless, they perform better
in sandy soils..last longer because of the smoother bore. I-20 stainless 6"
Ultra...best of the best. (Wish Toro made a 6" stainless Stream Rotor with
low-drain check).

Wet_Boots
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I have trouble pushing the stainless steel risers. If soil is sandy, there are better heads than a I-20, so far as retracting goes. I think there is zero need to rethink the Toro 300, except for putting the oil back in those gearcases.

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I have trouble pushing the stainless steel risers. If soil is sandy, there are better heads than a I-20, so far as retracting goes. I think there is zero need to rethink the Toro 300, except for putting the oil back in those gearcases.

6" risers are the norm with the new cutting heights. Wanna post a link on
a better head (besides impacts on risers) than the I-20? Yes, the oil was cool.

hoskm01
05-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Longevity, quality, best of the best. Better if you sold RB, but thats another story. Small price upfront might save a ton down the road.

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Longevity, quality, best of the best. Better if you sold RB, but thats another story. Small price upfront might save a ton down the road.

You could be right, sorta, that 5000+ stainless 6" is working great.
How are you Matt?

Wet_Boots
05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey, if they still made the R-50, I'd be selling them till the cows come home. No worries about retracting.

AI Inc
05-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Hey, if they still made the R-50, I'd be selling them till the cows come home. No worries about retracting.

You just found the noise to be relaxing.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
You just found the noise to be relaxing.click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Sorry. Never liked the R-50. The noise. The spray pattern - fanned out too wide when shortening the distance. Or having to adjust from below to match back up when some other schlep put in a different sized nozzle and didn't know wha he was doing.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Agreed on the pain-in-ass qualities of the R-50. Seems like all the most reliable heads had some hassles to them. Heck, the Safe-T-Lawn ball-drive-rotors didn't even have any bypass in them. There were several different models you'd buy, depending on distance and flow you wanted.

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Agreed on the pain-in-ass qualities of the R-50. Seems like all the most reliable heads had some hassles to them. Heck, the Safe-T-Lawn ball-drive-rotors didn't even have any bypass in them. There were several different models you'd buy, depending on distance and flow you wanted.

I have a few sites with those still in place. I told one guy I won't adjust them. Either rip em out, or let them hem spray the way they are. PITA heads. Barely get above grass. Unscrew the top to adjust. Then lose the screw for the top.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
They used to have captive screws, but they decided to economize. Those were sweet, sweet, heads, especially if you needed some low-angle watering.

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
They used to have captive screws, but they decided to economize. Those were sweet, sweet, heads, especially if you needed some low-angle watering.

Low angle, shmow angle. They are as bad as a 2" spray head. Barely get above grass after mowed. Especially since over the last 10 years everybody preaches about letting your grass grow longer to hold moisture and what not.

Never saw any with the captive screws

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Yeah, once the standard lawn heads gained some popup height, the STL was left behind, and the mfr didn't want to spend on new molds to redesign the head. But are there many heads of that era that are still operating, decades after installation?

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
The spray pattern - fanned out too wide when shortening the distance.

This is probably my biggest gripe with most rotors. Especially when the head is in the corner at the driveway and sidewalk. When I need to bring the throw down, it then sprays too much on the concrete to both sides.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
This is probably my biggest gripe with most rotors. Especially when the head is in the corner at the driveway and sidewalk. When I need to bring the throw down, it then sprays too much on the concrete to both sides.This may lead to the next possible pain-to-install head I'm curious about, the Toro TR-50. They have a model with adjustable trajectory, so you could bring down the distance while keeping the pattern intact. (not mentioning the V-1550 here)

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
(not mentioning the V-1550 here)

Was this the POS that had about 8-10 nozzles in a tall turret that could be adjusted for GPM and distance? I have one home that had those, and are now all PGPs. Stopped turning, and one or two would not adjust properly. Oh thaat's right, it's a Toro. :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Pity poor Toro. If they do come up with the next Great Thing, they'll have some customer resistance to deal with. I've used 1550 shrub heads, and they performed well so far.

hoskm01
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
You could be right, sorta, that 5000+ stainless 6" is working great.
How are you Matt?
Our commercial site with the RM Eagles has all stainless RB, but for the P/U's. Falcons and 5k's. It is a site to behold. When I have a while, I will take pics and post, this place is emaciating.

Life is awesome. Finally going home in 2.5 weeks to move up the household. Renting both places out, wait a few for the market to come around.

I found a frog sprinkler similar to that fish one there, in the yard at our new place. Best spray head ever with hose conn.