PDA

View Full Version : new truck lettering

JB926
05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
i havent even had a second to breath I've been so busy. I put a new truck on the road march 20th and still havent gotten a chance to get it lettered. I feel like a scrub driving around under cover. just needed to vent thanks. How much should I expect to pay for a 3500 quad cab all lettered up?

DanaMac
05-27-2008, 07:38 PM
I feel like a scrub driving around under cover.

Damn, guess I'm a scrub. 4 trucks, no lettering. :)

Part of it is we get contracted out by two larger companies. other part is I don't want every Tom, Dick, and Mike Leary calling us for work. :laugh: I hardly advertise at all.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Damn, guess I'm a scrub. 4 trucks, no lettering. :)

Part of it is we get contracted out by two larger companies. other part is I don't want every Tom, Dick, and Mike Leary calling us for work. :laugh: I hardly advertise at all.

HAAHHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

thats pure Jerry gold!

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Mike Leary calling us for work..

Your worst nightmare! I never had markers, either.

k911lowe
05-27-2008, 07:58 PM
trucks all lettered up are asking for trouble.been in business since 1971 and had lettering on all trucks at one time.took them all off after getting 95% bulls**t calls.that was about 3 weeks.haven't had any since

bobw
05-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I didn't get the current truck lettered up. I did get magnetic signs for it; they're sitting in my garage. The way I look at it, if I put signage on, people will call me, and all I'm going to do is tell them to go away, so no real point in it right now. My season was booked last fall, so no need for more work....

DanaMac
05-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I didn't get the current truck lettered up. I did get magnetic signs for it; they're sitting in my garage. The way I look at it, if I put signage on, people will call me, and all I'm going to do is tell them to go away, so no real point in it right now. My season was booked last fall, so no need for more work....

Kind of the same for me right now. Today alone I had over 12 new people that I sent away, booked out over 2.5 weeks, or sent to Tom Tom. My existing customers have been getting the shaft this year, so I am now putting new customers at least 2.5 weeks out. Usually scares them off anyway. :)

Wet_Boots
05-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Magnetic signs can be useful, since I sometimes use limited-access highways that commercial vehicles are not supposed to travel on. Peel off the signs, and drive in Stealth Mode.

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Plus, when you run the yellow or red, no signs to have someone turn you in.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Have to admit I have signs on my truck. ::::::SO EMBARRASSED::::: I feel people need to see you around town and they can look out the window and know who it is. Also I believe code around here requires business advertising on vehicles. I know they require LI #

Tom Tom
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Kind of the same for me right now. Today alone I had over 12 new people that I sent away, booked out over 2.5 weeks, or sent to Tom Tom. My existing customers have been getting the shaft this year, so I am now putting new customers at least 2.5 weeks out. Usually scares them off anyway. :)

Had 2 referral calls today from you. Thanks a bunch. Guess that 12 pack is now a case...........:drinkup:

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Gotta keep the ones that brought you to the dance. Question is, who's TT going to pass
them on to when he gets his client base?

johnnyaqua
05-27-2008, 09:35 PM
What is the logic behind not advertising your business?

Mike Leary
05-27-2008, 09:42 PM

'Cause you get tire-kickers, dorks, idiots," experts" & referrals from people like us.

DanaMac
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM

1. We can only handle so much work as it is
2. Can't keep up on existing customers
3. Can't find another tech to handle more business - not that I have looked very hard though
4. I don't want everybody calling for service, I want more quality systems to work on and I'm slowly getting it
5. I'd rather get more referrals from the companies that put in quality systems - because THEY can't find a service tech to keep on staff
6. Easy to get lost in the yellow pages
7. Cost too much for the yellow pages when you get lost with all the others
8. Putting out more advertising will get more calls for areas we are not currently servicing
9. I'd spend too much time returning calls saying cal Tom Tom :)
10. - and final - it is too easy to get work without advertising and paying for it, if you know what you're doing

Waterit
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
10. - and final - it is too easy to get work without advertising and paying for it, if you know what you're doing

Hear, hear. When I first started I had ads in Yella Pages, newspaper, placemats, etc., then figured out that we worked for the same contractors, builders, and HO's over and over and over. Also hear from people "I see your trucks all over town"...

Have to admit I have signs on my truck. ::::::SO EMBARRASSED::::: I feel people need to see you around town and they can look out the window and know who it is. Also I believe code around here requires business advertising on vehicles. I know they require LI #

We have to have license #'s displayed in ALL ads - even Yella Pages.

JimLewis
05-28-2008, 02:37 AM
I think there are good arguments FOR and AGAINST truck lettering. There are many variables that go into whether you should use lettering or not.

1) Are you always looking to grow your company?
2) Are you trying to persuade the general public to call your company?
3) Are you trying to establish (or keep established) brand-name recognition?
4) Are you wanting more residential work? (those who prefer to just do commercial wouldn't need lettering so much)
5) Is it important to you that people recognize who you are when they see you parked in front of their house?

A lot of guys here could honestly answer no to all of the above questions. So lettering wouldn't be necessary for them or maybe even create nuisance calls they would rather not handle. But for those who answered yes to some or most of these questions, then vehicle lettering is often a smart move.

I don't put a truck on the road without first lettering it up. Name recognition is key to our business format.

JimLewis
05-28-2008, 02:42 AM
One more photo..... :)

johnnyaqua
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Well, I agree there are arguments on both sides but I can only draw from my own experiences as to the success. We started in 1980 with 3 friends working together as service techs. Through an aggressive program of growth which included signs,truck wraps,billboards and sponserships of community events we have been able to build a successfull "irrigation only" company of 100 people with 50 trucks.Yes, there are a lot of people who "shop us" but there are a lot of those that become service customers.If they can't afford a quality install we let them buy cheap then charge them to fix "em later! We have 60% service and maintenance and 40% installation. Just my 2 cents for what ever that's worth.

AI Inc
05-28-2008, 07:58 AM
You must hate payday! 50 employees , thats a nut I wouldnt want to be covering.

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 08:43 AM
If I was going to (or able to) grow the company to a much larger outfit, I would probably advertise, or at least letter the trucks. But for the way my company is set up now, no need for it. And in cold weather states we still pay for the ad in the phone book during the winter.

I will admit, I do have one phone book ad. It is a smaller local community phone book for where I live. Tri Lakes phone book. Not the big yellow books. I think it was $400 for the year, two color. Only three guys have ads in there.

EagleLandscape
05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Peter, you need to get your F150 lettered!!!

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
You must hate payday! 50 employees , thats a nut I wouldnt want to be covering.That's 50 trucks, and a hundred employees, or were you just going to pay the vehicles?

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Peter, you need to get your F150 lettered!!!

We'll see. I like traveling incognito. Do need to get my LI# on it though and may get some magnets for those times I need my biz listed.

JimLewis
05-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, I agree there are arguments on both sides but I can only draw from my own experiences as to the success. We started in 1980 with 3 friends working together as service techs. Through an aggressive program of growth which included signs,truck wraps,billboards and sponserships of community events we have been able to build a successfull "irrigation only" company of 100 people with 50 trucks.Yes, there are a lot of people who "shop us" but there are a lot of those that become service customers.If they can't afford a quality install we let them buy cheap then charge them to fix "em later! We have 60% service and maintenance and 40% installation. Just my 2 cents for what ever that's worth.

That's awesome! Congratulations. My business is 1/5 that size. But that's inspiring, truly.