PDA

View Full Version : Im in the Wrong Biz-Pool Guys get 800 an Hr!

4 seasons lawn&land
05-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Hows 800 an hour sound? I thought the money in lawn & landscape was good before it took our pool company 15 minutes to do our $200 dollar pool opening.;)

1MajorTom
05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't even see how that would be possible. We have an inground pool and after a long hard winter, it takes more than 15 minutes to open the pool.
Suction off all the water from the tarp, remove water bags, clean the tarp, clean the water bags, get the pump going (we have a sand pump), clean the white coping all around the pool, clean the pool, add chemicals, get the solar cover out... i don't know. unless they had 6 guys on the job, then they are paying all their help out of the 200 bucks... then there is the cost of their chemicals that comes out of that 200.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't even see how that would be possible. We have an inground pool and after a long hard winter, it takes more than 15 minutes to open the pool.
Suction off all the water from the tarp, remove water bags, clean the tarp, clean the water bags, get the pump going (we have a sand pump), clean the white coping all around the pool, clean the pool, add chemicals, get the solar cover out... i don't know. unless they had 6 guys on the job, then they are paying all their help out of the 200 bucks... then there is the cost of their chemicals that comes out of that 200.

lol, now i feel even worse.

suction water off tarp-we did it

remove water bags-we did it

clean the tarp-we did it

empty water bags-we did it

get equipment going (we have sand too)-they did it

clean the coping-ya right

clean pool-well, waters still green so.....

add chemicals- we have to do all that

solar cover-yup, we did that too

1MajorTom
05-27-2008, 08:02 PM
oh wow, you did too much. I wonder if they would have done it all, would they have charged even more? Don't know if you live in a cold area for the winter, but if that company is incompetent, don't use them to close the pool. You don't want them leaving water in the lines. We take special care when we close the pool to make sure we blow all the water out before adding the pool antifreeze.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-27-2008, 08:20 PM
No, we only got a partial opening. Here is their description of a partial,

cover folded and left poolside (not removed or cleaned)
ladder and rail installed (4 bolts total)
chemicals added (they did do that, i didnt realize that)
filtration system started
start heater
visualy inspect pool for problems

regardless it took 15 minutes, 2 guys.

Im in NY, this company is the biggest, most well known in the area, (very large area)

topsites
05-27-2008, 08:34 PM
You might want to ask around, because...

For example if I treat my home for pests and then I call a large Co. to do it they charge me for it too, but they also go around and do it again, even if it's already done... Or at least they should, it's like taking a squeaky clean car to a car wash, they still wash it... But if there's a cover on a pool and you took it off, that can change things, still it may or may not change their estimated cost, I don't know.

In the case of the Chemical guys that walking around with a sprayer takes 10 minutes and I think they charge $140, but don't forget the chemical they use costs 90 dollars a QUART! So I don't know, but I dare say they probably didn't rip you off, still anytime I feel like that I do a little asking around, usually I feel better later.

AL Inc
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
When I was starting my landscaping business, I worked part time on Sat/Sun for a pool company. I also agree that the opening you got was quick, I remember us doing maybe 6-8 openings in a 12 hour day, just me and the owner. But my boss got top dollar for everything, and I do remember him telling me he was clearing 1K a day.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
im always amazed when i hear about boss' telling their employees that stuff. wouldnt catch me telling my workers that if i was making that kind of money.

razor1
05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Why not do it yourself. payup