PDA

View Full Version : bent crankshaft

bohiaa
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
hay all:

MY DA helper today bent the crankshaft on my NEW snapper 21"

that mower cost 700.00 had it for about 3 weeks.

wondering if anyone knows if it can be fixed ? or shall I just trash it

thanks

BanvilleLawnCare
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
It can definetly be fixed, but it could be a pricey repair. It is just a matter of what it is worth to you to have it fixed. A small engine mechanic could tear down the engine and replace the crankshaft, but get a rough quote first because you could be better off just getting a new engine. If you want to you could grab the Northern Tool catalog and slap a $200 Briggs on there, then if your crazy employee breaks it again it's not as big a deal.

lawnspecialties
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
My local "one man shop" straightened the shaft on an old Deere I had a few years ago. It was a JS63. I hit a metal stob in the ground and bent it pretty badly. He had a machine just for straightening shafts and if I recall correctly, it cost me $40.

bohiaa
05-27-2008, 11:20 PM
thanks I'll see what I come up with this week....

But I think I'll fore the helper anyway....

I ask him sometimes what he's doing and why, and he doesnt even know.......

Drive me stright up a wall

bill8379
05-27-2008, 11:24 PM
By crank shaft, do you mean the spindle thing? I bent one of mine and my dealer put it on a press (if I remember right) and straightened it out. It cost me $60 but they also changed my oil. It was a Toro super recycler.

jkason
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Just to leteveryone know....

When a so-called "mechanic" straightens a shaft, he is doing so against the reccomendations of the manufaturer, and his liability coverage will have to take care of it should anything go wrong.
In other words, the repairer is accepting responsibility for the repair, and will receive no support from the maufacturer.

If you are getting your stuff fixed at a "fly-by-nighter" and something goes wrong, you could potentially be liable, also.

Just spend the extra money, and fix it right. (And charge your help for the repairs.)

K/B
05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Just to leteveryone know....

When a so-called "mechanic" straightens a shaft, he is doing so against the reccomendations of the manufaturer, and his liability coverage will have to take care of it should anything go wrong.
In other words, the repairer is accepting responsibility for the repair, and will receive no support from the maufacturer.

If you are getting your stuff fixed at a "fly-by-nighter" and something goes wrong, you could potentially be liable, also.

Just spend the extra money, and fix it right. (And charge your help for the repairs.)

Just because a shop will straighten crankshafts doesn't mean that they're fly-by-nighters:rolleyes: There is a special tool specifically designed to straighten bent cranks. I know of a shop that does it, but with the customer's understanding that it is not guaranteed, because once it's bent the area becomes weaker.

jkason
05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Just because a shop will straighten crankshafts doesn't mean that they're fly-by-nighters:rolleyes: There is a special tool specifically designed to straighten bent cranks. I know of a shop that does it, but with the customer's understanding that it is not guaranteed, because once it's bent the area becomes weaker.

Hence my warning about making sure your mechanic has liability insurance.

topsites
05-30-2008, 04:40 PM

I would also relieve the shop of any liability, considering if they were to do this they're doing us a big favor in the way of possibly saving a company hundreds of dollars. Granted it may fail later, but I will always have respect for the folks who know such economical fixes. Do away with them and we have ourselves an even worse problem than we already do.

jkason
05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I would also relieve the shop of any liability, considering if they were to do this they're doing us a big favor in the way of possibly saving a company hundreds of dollars. Granted it may fail later, but I will always have respect for the folks who know such economical fixes. Do away with them and we have ourselves an even worse problem than we already do.

Yeah. Doing the OWNER of the company a favor for HIS wallet, when there is no dealer loyalty.
And potentially removing someone's legs at the ankle.

The worse problem is that the dealer WILL complain when it fails, making us all look like dumb-@$$es.

FIX IT RIGHT, DAMN IT!!

KGR landscapeing
05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Umm your gonna unbend something that spins really fast.:hammerhead: replace either the whole crank which is like putting in a new heart to the whole engine. or just get a whole new engine. mine would be get a new one. keep this one for parts.

J&R
05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Go to Kmart buy one of those Murry push mowers about 150.00 take off Murry put on Snapper. Just make sure the crankshaft is the same.

bohiaa
05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
UPDATE :

when all else fails, Get the hammer....

I took the big hammer took the blade off and rotated the shaft to a point where it was bent and WACK WACK WACK...... rotated it around a bit and WACK WACK... put the blade back on and tried it....

I did this 6 times and I was amazed at how easy it was to bend. anywhy it's now in good working order...

we used it on 3 lawns today... No problem....

I never thought this would work... But it did...

Thanks everyone

lawnspecialties
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah. Doing the OWNER of the company a favor for HIS wallet, when there is no dealer loyalty.

The worse problem is that the dealer WILL complain when it fails, making us all look like dumb-@$$es.

FIX IT RIGHT, DAMN IT!!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!:dizzy:

Lighten up, Francis.

CrewKut
05-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Glad you were able to get it working again. Just be sure to keep checking the oil religiously and watch for leaks that may develop around the crank under the mower. If it is running a little out of round, the seal may fail prematurely. And because it is under the mower where grass builds up, it might be hard to detect.

Dan

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I ask him sometimes what he's doing and why, and he doesnt even know.......

Drive me stright up a wall

Maybe its time for a new employee :rolleyes:

ed2hess
05-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Lighten up, Francis.

That is funny....seen that movie. but forgot the title but that statement really stuck with me.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-31-2008, 08:00 PM
That is funny....seen that movie. but forgot the title but that statement really stuck with me.

Come on Ed !! boom chagaluga boom chaguluga The movie Was Stripes with Bill Murry !! and John Candy :laugh:

huskres
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
My favorite movie ever!

K/B
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM

FIX IT RIGHT, DAMN IT!!

What is your problem? You should go take a cold shower, and have a good night's sleep. I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning. :D

lawnspecialties
05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!:dizzy:

Lighten up, Francis.

Come on Ed !! boom chagaluga boom chaguluga The movie Was Stripes with Bill Murry !! and John Candy :laugh:

My favorite movie ever!

We're showing our age, fellas. :laugh:

I'm sure some of these young whippersnappers have absolutely no clue what we're talking about. :)

jkason
06-03-2008, 02:38 PM
UPDATE :

when all else fails, Get the hammer....

I took the big hammer took the blade off and rotated the shaft to a point where it was bent and WACK WACK WACK...... rotated it around a bit and WACK WACK... put the blade back on and tried it....

I did this 6 times and I was amazed at how easy it was to bend. anywhy it's now in good working order...

we used it on 3 lawns today... No problem....

I never thought this would work... But it did...

Thanks everyone

Remind me to NEVER hire you....

jkason
06-03-2008, 02:43 PM
What is your problem? You should go take a cold shower, and have a good night's sleep. I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning. :D

All I'm saying is that you should CYA, and potentially fracturing a shaft that spins at 3600 rpm is NOT a good idea....

It's not a good business practice, and should anything go wrong, you can BET your local ambulance chaser has more time on his hands to research the law than you do.

Tharrell
06-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I was going to say, I've seen one fixed with a hammer but I wouldn't use it. My lil snapper has a bent crank right now. The seal is a little worn and it uses some oil but I'm just gonna get a new engine when ever I get the time. I hardly ever use the lil fart but, I like to keep my stuff up. btw-I think it takes a special engine because it has to drive the tranny also. Tony

bohiaa
06-03-2008, 06:26 PM
WOW you guys surprise me....

Machine shops reline these all the time. I even visited a shop that weld on Crankshafts.

however Living around the shipping chanels. Where we have barges and tons of ships comming with oil this is No Surprise that we have Co's here that do this type of Speciality work.
Kind of makes me wonder about some of you. I suppose some people dont get around much....

strightening a shaft is really No big deal. But from reading some post I guess this would be quite a task. seeing as how some here need help getting a lawnmower blade on right side up.....

ed2hess
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
WOW you guys surprise me....
. I suppose some people dont get around much....

funny thread...really enjoying this one.....oh by the way I bend a couple back myself. When I worked on a farm we "jury rigged" a lot of stuff. Had some other words for it but can't put them on lawnsite.

johnnywill08
06-04-2008, 12:09 PM
when you say it could fail, do you mean break and the blade could separate from the machine? idf so, i'd have it done right, unless you want to change your name to eileen (i lean, get it? god i'm good)