PDA

View Full Version : So I get a new customer today.....

JeffNY
05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
"It hasn't been done yet this year"

If we didn't know the people, I would have walked away, but it'll be a nice account for us.
I walked through the yard today, looks like it'll take a good hour at normal level, but this is knee high, and its not even grass, its weeds. I don't even know if the Cub can get through it, we'll find out.
What other options are there? no way we're weed-eating the entire yard. I was thinking charge about double for the first mow, seeing how we'll probably have to go over it twice for it to start to look like a lawn.

Throw some suggestive #'s at me, so I have an idea what im doing. So far im doing good this year at not charging enough.

http://jeff98.com/images/CLS/location10.JPG

lawnwizards
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
i'd rent a bushhog and charge them 50 bucks per hour plus rental fees. then put them on a normal cutting schedule.

KrayzKajun
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Bout $200 for the first cut. $75/every week

bohiaa
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
yup Charge about 1.5 over what you would charge to cut it....

kind of hard to tell frome this pic. But are you sure it would take about 1 hr.

remember to "try " to keep your price around 1.00 a minute.

Good luck

hole in one lco
05-27-2008, 10:01 PM
id go hourly for the 1st cut youll be all day the first time

JeffNY
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
ok, maybe more than an hour. I was thinking $85 weekly, and $125 for the first run. I wasn't too far off.

Thanks for the replies.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-27-2008, 10:09 PM
you want AT LEAST 75/hr for that!

Roger
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Your description has no dimensions, and your description has no area or dimensions either. Without any information, how can anybody supply times or prices?

4 seasons, ... at lot of people want a lot of things!

JeffNY
05-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Figured you could get a rough idea by the conversion van in the driveway, its roughly 75y x 50y

A-Land
05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Here is what you do. Tell them that this kind of work can vary in how long it takes.... sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it takes less time. Charge them an hourly rate for the first mow (let them know what it is and give them a range of how long you think it will take (say $120/hr, 2-3 hours). Then you get paid, no surprises for them, and it doesn't become a PITA.

You should be able to figure out your price for a weekly mow..........

billslawn89
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
you say its knee high, how thick is the lawn/weeds? it would most likely be a double cut to make it look good. cut once at a higher level to knock down, then cut at normal height on second mowing. i would also charge double the first time around. looks like more then an hour to me...

lawnspecialties
05-27-2008, 10:59 PM
What I've done in these situations...

Raise my typical price I'd normally charge them "per cut". If I'd thought $100/cut, I'd probably go $120/cut. Then tell them I'll mow the overgrown at no extra charge. Usually, they'll be so impressed, they'll say "great" and you get to work. You get hit hard the first time but make extra throughout the rest of the season.

topsites
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
The proper procedure is to windrow the entire yard and pick up all of the clippings and haul them away. Otherwise it's just going from bad to worse because that WILL clump and unless the resulting clumps are picked up it will be so heavy that it will smother and kill the little turf that's left.

Thus here is my price:
$240.

JeffNY
05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
you say its knee high, how thick is the lawn/weeds? it would most likely be a double cut to make it look good. cut once at a higher level to knock down, then cut at normal height on second mowing. i would also charge double the first time around. looks like more then an hour to me...

Double or triple cut I was thinking. The weeds in the front yard aren't real thick, but the back yard is pretty heavy. Its that stuff that looks almost like wheat, its usually on the edge of fields.

ALC-GregH
05-28-2008, 08:27 AM
thats just grass that is way over grown.

larryinalabama
05-28-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a 26" brush mower and could knock that down in 45 minutes unless theres a lot of trash to pick up. I charge 60$ per hour 1 hr mininum. For that job I would charge 70 per week and just run the brush mower over it the first week and mow regular after that. Trying to cut it low the first time you will be bailing hay. For a 1 time mow I like Topsites 240$.

ALC-GregH
05-28-2008, 09:04 AM
I'd charge $125 to knock it down and make it look good, then $60 weekly after that. I think I could have it done within a hour.

JeffNY
05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
problem solved, just called the rental place, they have a tow-behind hog for $100/day, I think im going to rent that and drive it around with my 4 wheeler (don't worry about looking professional at this place, its a special case)

$95/weekly $240/first mow

ALC-GregH
05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
man if you can get that, your doing something...... personally, I'd feel like I'm ripping them off at your price. Maybe it's the area....

JeffNY
05-28-2008, 09:57 AM
man if you can get that, your doing something...... personally, I'd feel like I'm ripping them off at your price. Maybe it's the area....

Its a weird situation, I'd never charge anyone else that price. Money isn't really coming out of their pockets, and its no issue for them. Weekly mowing is only about $20 higher than normal, plus the job is 10 miles away, so its not TOO out of line.

MJB
05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I would side discharge it in the transport mode to knock it down then, drop it another 1" and just run over it 1 or 2 more times. If it's not wet you can mow that without renting anything if you have a decnt mower to start out with. What equipment do you intend to use each week?

JeffNY
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
its not really too good of a mower, but its a start for us.
Cub Zforce 50"

Next year we'll justify the eXmark.

wheels910
05-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Just my opinion.

From the picture, it looks like you need to talk to them about scalping, aerating, and overseeding this fall or spring. Whichever season is appropriate for you.

Pretty badly worn areas around the house.

JeffNY
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Just my opinion.

From the picture, it looks like you need to talk to them about scalping, aerating, and overseeding this fall or spring. Whichever season is appropriate for you.

Pretty badly worn areas around the house.

Its that sandy stuff, and these folks don't really GAF what it looks like, long as its cut.

k911lowe
05-28-2008, 10:44 AM
just remember ,time is money.you have to think how long it will take you for everything,i.e.
cut,cleanup,dump etc and get your price by figuring how much an hour you need to charge
to make a fair profit.thats on any yard or work you do.