PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Pro-C Controller - Who Wants It?

JimLewis
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't like Hunter stuff so much. So we're working on this rather large project we'll be at for a month or two. And I didn't want to keep messing with the dang Hunter controller. I know the RB ones much better. So I talked the client into letting me replace their Hunter Pro-C with a RB controller. Now I have this basically new Hunter Pro-C controller and I was going to put it up on eBay. But I figured I'd see if any of you wanted to buy it from me first.

I figure it's gonna cost about $10.00 or so to ship it. And I have no idea what they sell for since all I buy is RB stuff.

It does have 2 additional modules already inside of it (for a total of 9 zones) and it's in perfect like-new condition. The only thing I don't have is the card that lists out the zones. That was written on and I think my crew threw it away anyway.

Make me an offer. If I don't get any, no big deal. I can just go with eBay.

Wet_Boots
05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Give it a ride in the microwave, then eBay it.

hoskm01
05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I offer -20 dollars, you pay shipping. Thats 20 bones youll have to pay me to take a hunk of schitt PRO-C. I like them as well as you, Jim. Whats your project (not to change the subj)

JimLewis
05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks. I think I'll pass on that deal.

Fortunately, we were able to land a HUGE job from some customers we've had for a few years. They just bought a new home (well, more like a mansion) and we're landscaping most of it. If not for these guys, business would be way off this year. Thanks to them, business is only a little off this year.

We're almost finished with the front yard. We did $19,000 worth of shrubs, perennials, and groundcovers. No trees - that was just $19,000 in small plants and shrubs. They already had the trees installed by someone else who they were not happy with. We seeded the front yard. Then we did about $6,000 in lighting, a few grand in irrigation (just adding onto the system). Then they wanted more plants, more lighting, more irrigation additions, and a lattice screen installed. So that was another $6,600. We finished all that stuff today. We're almost finished in the front yard, supposedly. But we are returning Friday for a few grand more of irrigation work, a little more planting, and finish off the front yard with barkmulch.

The back yard is the REALLY big part. Our designer just finished the design for that. It's so big he used 5 separate pieces of drafting paper to show all of the work to be done. 3 plan-view designs and 2 perspective-view designs to give them an idea of what certain areas would look like, once installed. So that's what I am up working on tonight (and probably the next 6 nights) - is the bid for the work in the back yard. There's 3100 sq. ft. of verious sized pavers in an ashlar pattern, $30,000 worth of excavation, big rock walls, and big rock steps (we sub that part out to our excavator guy), about 5K sq. ft. of new grass, probably 8-10 new irrigation zones, a large concrete fountain, play structure area, several pathways, dog run area, courtyard (seat) walls, a boat load of plants, trees, shrubs, etc., and a lot more lighting. Once I can finish the bid and they accept the proposal (which is just a formality, they love us and already said we have the job) then we'll be busy here for another probably month and a half implementing all this stuff.

It's just sweetness that we got the job because I was bidding against the largest landscape company in our state and the 27th largest in the country. Fortunately, my sales skills are improving and the other company's design wasn't quite as impressive.

Definitely the biggest job we've ever done so far. We had one last year that topped $50K. And another that came pretty close to that. But this one will top both of those put together when we're done. Which, again, is a God-send because the rest of business is quite a bit slower this year.

Below is a sample of one of the designs we did for the back yard.

londonrain
05-28-2008, 06:39 AM
I don't like Hunter stuff so much. So we're working on this rather large project we'll be at for a month or two. And I didn't want to keep messing with the dang Hunter controller. I know the RB ones much better. So I talked the client into letting me replace their Hunter Pro-C with a RB controller. Now I have this basically new Hunter Pro-C controller and I was going to put it up on eBay. But I figured I'd see if any of you wanted to buy it from me first.

I figure it's gonna cost about $10.00 or so to ship it. And I have no idea what they sell for since all I buy is RB stuff.

It does have 2 additional modules already inside of it (for a total of 9 zones) and it's in perfect like-new condition. The only thing I don't have is the card that lists out the zones. That was written on and I think my crew threw it away anyway.

Make me an offer. If I don't get any, no big deal. I can just go with eBay.
I save controllers like that for single moms... IE: here is a free controller....

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 07:19 AM
What's the gripe on the Pro-C?

DanaMac
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
I save controllers like that for single moms... IE: here is a free controller....

Me too. Or sell it at a cheap discount for someone complaining about price. Tell them no warranty, and they can figure out how to use on their own.

jimmyburg
05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
i'll take it :waving:

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Do Texans bid in units of brisket?

JimLewis
05-28-2008, 10:54 AM

That's messed up. What have you got against single moms???

JK.

No Rush
05-28-2008, 11:42 AM
i'll start my bid at $25; i've had no problems with that controller.

Wet_Boots
05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I've seen two Pro-C problems I can recall at the moment. Displays partially failing, and some incorrect displays of how many zones there are installed (ICC does this too) - The clock itself seems to work fine.

No Rush
05-29-2008, 11:00 PM
what about $30?

JimLewis
05-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Someone already bought it. $50 plus shipping. Thanks.

Tony Clifton
05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I actually think the PRO-C is a great controller. We have installed dozens each year for about 4 years now and no problems. The rain birds on the other hand seem to start failing after about 5 years...buttons get finicky, dial is touchy, etc. You can get it to do what you want but it may take a while. By the way, I use lots of rain bord products, but that had been my experience with one of their controllers (not sure of the model, but it is one of the good ones, not an el cheapo)

Mike Leary
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I use lots of rain bord products,

They work well with Lawn Genie & Orbit products.

Tony Clifton
05-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Actually now that I think about it, what the hell is rain bord?

BrandonV
05-30-2008, 08:02 PM
tony don't waste your time w/ mike, he's got a home depot gold card so most of his supplies come from there :-) just curious where you get you're hunter products? they're hard to find in NC unless you deal with JDL, which I used to but have since seen the light.

mowzum
05-30-2008, 08:32 PM
tony don't waste your time w/ mike, he's got a home depot gold card so most of his supplies come from there :-) just curious where you get you're hunter products? they're hard to find in NC unless you deal with JDL, which I used to but have since seen the light.http://hunterindustries.com/Support/Distributors/USA_DistributorFind.asp BTW JDL sux here also

Tony Clifton
05-30-2008, 08:39 PM

tony don't waste your time w/ mike, he's got a home depot gold card so most of his supplies come from there :-) just curious where you get you're hunter products? they're hard to find in NC unless you deal with JDL, which I used to but have since seen the light.

Atlantic Irrigation, don't think they have a location near you, but they are a great company to buy from. Used the other for years and switched to those guys this year. Let me know if you are interested, one of my good friends is branch manager closer to you, might be able to work something out...

JimLewis
05-31-2008, 02:21 AM

That was a low blow. Try to keep it above the belt! :)