PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS450 Brushcutter vibration

Dogberry
05-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys
Im looking at the Kawasaki KBH43A and the Sthil FS450 brush cutters at the moment, the Kawasaki is $400 cheaper in the UK compared to the Stihl FS450. Anyone have any experience of the anti vibration quality of the Stihl, is it worth an extra $400 to buy Stihl? Hell the Kawasaki is a good price, but they must save the money somewhere.

Any views appreciated.

johnnybravo8802
05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
I am the biggest Stihl fan out there. However, I did branch out and buy a Husky 240R clearing saw in 98' and that thing is a beast. It will take down 4 inch trees in a split second and nothing else will do what a clearing saw will do. With a weedeater head, it's like the biggest weedeater you can find on steroids and slings stuff 30 feet-literally(Invest in a helmet with ear protection and a screen-best $50 you could spend). As far as vibration, I did manage to do some damage to the internals of my shaft and it vibrates more now. My mistake was swinging it like an axe into a tree. That's a mistake-you have to let it eat like a chainsaw or you'll do damage. I plan to purchase a Stihl FS 350,450,or 550 as my next machine. I didn't even know kawi made anything to compare. My money is on the Stihl. Good luck and let me know how it does. :drinkup:

Dogberry
05-29-2008, 05:29 AM
I didn't even know kawi made anything to compare. My money is on the Stihl. Good luck and let me know how it does. :drinkup:

Thanks JB

Kawa is pushing the stuff very competitively here in the UK, one word Ive heard is getting parts is difficult.

The Stihl FS450 is almost $1000 here, mind you we do pay $12 a gallon for petrol.

Dogberry

johnnybravo8802
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey Dogberry, do they sell Husky's where you are at? They still make th 240R which is what I have and I paid $650 for mine-lot less than $1000. I've had it since 98' and I couldn't imagine needing anymore than that in a clearing saw. Get the N45 head for it and you're set. Just a thought.

Dogberry
06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey Dogberry, do they sell Husky's where you are at? They still make th 240R which is what I have and I paid $650 for mine-lot less than $1000. I've had it since 98' and I couldn't imagine needing anymore than that in a clearing saw. Get the N45 head for it and you're set. Just a thought.

Hi jb

Yes they do have Huskys here in the UK, however the Stihl dealerships and spares back up is outstanding.

In the end I bought an FS480, the thing is a monster bags of power. I use a mowing head with it at the moment. People have said the 450 is heavy but I dont find it so. The lack of vibration through the handle bars means you can go 5-6 hours without getting the buzzing feeling in your hands. In the time I have had it I dont think Ive ever had it revving flat out. In the end the 480 was about $20(US) more than the 450, so I thought well what the hell. The place I bought it off had never sold a 480, they said they had call for 400, 450 or the FS500. I dont notice the fuel consumption being that heavy, well compared to a 44cc brush cutter. To achieve a real cut in fuel consumption I guess you would need a 4 stroke engine. In the end its tools for the job and the customer pays.

The FS480 is a great tool and I would buy it if asked a second time.

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Good deal! I don't think they have that model here in the US. I will probably go with a Stihl next time. When you need that kind of power, nothing else will do.