PDA

View Full Version : Don't Use Ethanol Fuel

GPDesign1
05-28-2008, 10:36 AM
In case nobody has mentioned it in the last five minutes, Ethanol-blended fuel is GARBAGE! Don't put it in any piece of equipment that you care about...

With (admittedly) NO consideration for the 600 million small engines operating in America, our illustrious idiots in Washington have shoved ethanol fuel down our throats. As if 10% content wasn't bad enough, they're getting ready to raise it to 20%. This stuff separates like milk, soaks up water like a sponge, corrodes everything it touches and can "eat" rubber seals, needle-valve tips, fuel hoses, diaphragms, etc. It's a scourge.

Although not any cheaper than "real gas", you can expect your fuel consumption to be 15-25% higher on Ethanol blend. Now there's a good deal, huh? :confused:

As any good farm-boy knows, corn takes a LOT out of the soil. It's gotta be rotated pretty often with other crops or one will leave fields essentially inert. I'm all for finding alternatives to achieve energy independence, but this is a dumb way to go about it.

Perhaps these boneheads in Washington need to decide which they enjoy more; eating or driving. :hammerhead:

Good article on the effects of Ethanol (taken from OPE SmartBrief):

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=f0f41ee8-5e11-41fc-82dd-e7cf6c8bddd4

gp

fool32696
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
completely agree

MJB
05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I aggree, but what choice do we really have in the gas. Also is there any additives that can protect the engine ? As if fuel is not expensive enough now we have to find an additive to undo the garbage they put in it. What a world!

ed2150
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I completely agree that ethanol blended fuels are bad for small engines, particularly 2 cycle.

I just don't have much choice; non-blended fuel has all but disappeared around here. I can't think of a single place I can go now to get fuel that isn't blended.

k911lowe
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
i do not think the govt takes fuel for small engines into consideration,along with a lot of other thing they do not think about when they do this kind of crap.i am sure somewhere there is a fuel additive that will fix this that they do not want us to know about.

topsites
05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Look this whole thing with the petrol and the corn oil is just more ways the government has of subsidizing certain things while taking from others, farmers are the ones usually taking a beating, so now they get a bonus while we pay for it...

Now I didn't hear anyone complaining on the consumer end when it was the farmers taking it,
but they have to run the fuel also and either way what choice do we have?

GPDesign1
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Just for the record, we don't sell or make a penny off of StaBil products, although we do give away a free sample with each new Quick mower.

We may however start offering this in the near future:

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/stabil_marine.htm

gp

Lawn Enforcer
05-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I agree. Ethanol is not all its cracked up to be. Yeah, we are to use it in our cars. It does damage to the engine, kills mileage, and you need to put additives into it in order to prevent damage. The gov't wants us to use alternative fuels, then develop engines that are made to run on ethanol. Brazil is completely oil independent because they make ethanol with sugarcane. If we can do that, it would be incredible. I remember seeing a guy use it in his sprint car engine, and he had no power whatsoever, and it always overheated, unlike methanol, which most sprint cars use, that burns cool.

topsites
05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree. Ethanol is not all its cracked up to be. Yeah, we are to use it in our cars. It does damage to the engine, kills mileage, and you need to put additives into it in order to prevent damage. The gov't wants us to use alternative fuels, then develop engines that are made to run on ethanol. Brazil is completely oil independent because they make ethanol with sugarcane. If we can do that, it would be incredible. I remember seeing a guy use it in his sprint car engine, and he had no power whatsoever, and it always overheated, unlike methanol, which most sprint cars use, that burns cool.

Right, once again no problem from the consumer end but Brazil's sugarcane harvest is anything but green either. First they burn the fields to make it easier to harvest which creates a ton of pollution, but nobody says a word about that. Then the fields are harvested via manual labor, with machetes, in a tropical country.
Dirty little secrets, but nobody rides for free and sugarcane is far from being a peachy solution too.
Brazil did what they had to do, but their standard of living is different from ours as well.

doubleedge
05-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Open up the coast and Alaska for oil drilling, and the gas prices will drop signifigantly (the one in alaska is one of the largest oil reserves in the world). Remember that when you vote this year.

Lawn Enforcer
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Right, once again no problem from the consumer end but Brazil's sugarcane harvest is anything but green either. First they burn the fields to make it easier to harvest which creates a ton of pollution, but nobody says a word about that. Then the fields are harvested via manual labor, with machetes, in a tropical country.
Dirty little secrets, but nobody rides for free and sugarcane is far from being a peachy solution too.
Brazil did what they had to do, but their standard of living is different from ours as well.

I never really thought about that end of it, good thinking.

Lawn Enforcer
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Open up the coast and Alaska for oil drilling, and the gas prices will drop signifigantly (the one in alaska is one of the largest oil reserves in the world). Remember that when you vote this year.

Check out the link in my sig. I think oil should be drilled there. If we can get the prices down and keep them there until we can find a better and cleaner alternative fuel. If we do drill there, we can't forget about alternative fuels, the oil will run out someday (200 or more years), but at least there would be plenty of time to develop alternative fuels, and it wouldn't hurt everyone's wallet.

doubleedge
05-28-2008, 01:11 PM
In 200 years, we went from crappin in the woods to what we have now, so I think that should be plenty of time :).

bill8379
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Around here, Premium gas is pure gas but they charge a premium for it. 87 gas is already $5.90 a gallon here in Canada Premium would be close to $6.30 I believe.

Lawn Enforcer
05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
In 200 years, we went from crappin in the woods to what we have now, so I think that should be plenty of time :).

Yeah, we can develop something spectacular in 200 years time.

tamadrummer
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Here in Zephyrhills I am faced with the fact that every gas station I buy gas from has 10% ethanol in it. There is no other gas available to me.

I was driving all over to get gas from non-e10 stations and then the stickers showed up on their pumps too.

I always put stabil in my fuel but I don't think it will help with ethanol will it? There is another additive made specfically to keep the ethanol in solution and I lost the link to the stuff but it is not cheap!!

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM

What good does it do to remember that when voting?

We've had both parts in power at different times during the last several years, and NONE of them managed to open up drilling. Apparently, even when we elected Republicans to both the Senate AND the House, and then elected a Republican to the White House, the Democrats still managed to be running the show and preventing domestic drilling.

jkilov
05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
OK, I hate to spoil the bandwagon. I just don't feel the same.

I don't blame the government for putting more booze into gas. We must do something and it's a step forward. Going back is not an option.

There are issues with the fuel but this is the 21st century and I'm confident the industry will or has come up with solutions. My only concern is that they'll fix up the auto industry whilst leaving us small engine users bone-dry.

It has less caloric value so sure we'll get less MPGs. Yes it's a water magnet and destroys rubber and stuff. For now don't leave fuel in your tanks even if it's only for 2 days and use additives like someone posted. Did you know ethanol has an octane rating over 110 ? Allows higher compression ratio, power, somewhat lower mpgs, etc if the engine is designed to make use of it's advantages.

So there are some farming questions. Well oil is great is'nt it ??? Oil tanker disasters, refinery toxic waste, pollution, dependence and all that stuff does'nt seem to bother anyone , right ?? Just my 0.02$

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't blame the government for putting more booze into gas. We must do something and it's a step forward. Going back is not an option.

[snip]

Well oil is great is'nt it ??? Oil tanker disasters, refinery toxic waste, pollution, dependence and all that stuff does'nt seem to bother anyone , right ?? Just my 0.02$

Should we just go ahead and IGNORE those studies that show that it takes more than a gallon of "well oil" to produce a gallon of "booze"?

Partsguru1
05-28-2008, 06:11 PM

I cannot say it loud enough!! AMEN BROTHER! Damn Democrats will have us in a mess such as never seen before if they keep in lockstep with the tree hugging environmentalists and never allow us to drill for the oil we have.

:usflag:"Drill Today, Pay Less Tommorrow" :usflag:

'Guru

jkilov
05-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Should we just go ahead and IGNORE those studies that show that it takes more than a gallon of "well oil" to produce a gallon of "booze"?

I somehow have disbelief in some studies. They once stated it takes more than a gallon of oil to produce a gall. of biodiesel but that turned out to be false.

Lets just use simple logics. If it takes more than a gallon of oil to make a gallon of ethanol + cost of gran then === the price of ethanol should be significantly more expensive than gas, right ??

But it's not. Am I missing something?

ponyboy
05-28-2008, 06:39 PM
just a quick pointer redmax 2 cycle you have to use 89 or higher the ethnol is eating up the engines. so i put 87 in my trucks and mowers but now have to go to 89 for 2 stroke this is crap

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I somehow have disbelief in some studies. They once stated it takes more than a gallon of oil to produce a gall. of biodiesel but that turned out to be false.

Lets just use simple logics. If it takes more than a gallon of oil to make a gallon of ethanol + cost of gran then === the price of ethanol should be significantly more expensive than gas, right ??

But it's not. Am I missing something?

I thought that corn was subsidized. Is this incorrect? If not, it seems like that would lower the price quite a bit, as I imagine that the growing and harvesting the corn is a lot of the expense (and fuel usage) in the production of ethanol.

Bill M
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
just a quick pointer redmax 2 cycle you have to use 89 or higher the ethnol is eating up the engines. so i put 87 in my trucks and mowers but now have to go to 89 for 2 stroke this is crapI use Sunoco GT-100 octane unleaded in my 2 cycles, they have never run better. No bogging and start much easier. I have a 2 gallon gas can for my lawnmower, I mix 1 gallon of 100 octane, and 1 gallon of 89 octane, it cuts down on the ethonol.