PDA

View Full Version : letting a customer go

grassmasterswilson
05-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I have a very "tight pocketed" customer who has been with me since the beginning. He has given me 4 -5 properties to cut. Every so often he wants to change from weekly to 10 days(complains about a price increase) or whines about the trash(picked up at cutting and not in between) and spraying the beds(done when there weather permitting). I tell him I will be glad to go inbetween cuttings for an additional charge but get no response.

most recently the weekly property was cut weekly for 45 and he said to go up to 10 days. So i charged him 55 cause the grass was much higher. He sent a note with the bill questioning the extra charge. Was he thinking I would cutt it every 10 days for 45? I must be stupid.

So a little long winded but I'm trying to think about letting him go, but on nice terms. How do you guys do it? Anyone have a nice form letter I could look at?

KrayzKajun
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
try and explain to him first. if tht doesnt work jus politly tell him, he needs to find sumone else to maintain his property

bohiaa
05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I Had a customer that was a high payer, We were making about 125.00 an hour.
weekly cut. it took about an hour....

I hated to dump her, But she would call and wanted to talk about this and that 3 to 4 times a week...

I just couldn't get her off the phone... So that Good pay turned out to be NOT so good.

I finley had to cut her loose, Because of to many phone calls.

Good luck

bill8379
05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
5 yards from one customer and a customer from the beginning.

If the grass is long go over it quickly if it looks like crap, leave it like that and tell him it's growing too quickly and has to be done weekly at least for the spring. I wouldn't spend extra time there for no extra money. I'd try and keep that customer depending how busy you are.

tacoma200
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
That's a decison you will have to make. If you have more work than you want you may let him go, if he has gotten you more customers in the past I may think twice. All of us in the service sector have to put up with this too some extent. What extent your are willing to put up with this is up to you. I let plenty go and keep some that are a pain sometimes because they pay well and on time. You will probably never have perfect customers. I have some that complained because I got some grass under the cooking grill cover when I was blowing it off. He made a big deal of it, but I just smiled and said it won't happen again and now he is one of my best and never complains.

DBL
05-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I Had a customer that was a high payer, We were making about 125.00 an hour.
weekly cut. it took about an hour....

I hated to dump her, But she would call and wanted to talk about this and that 3 to 4 times a week...

I just couldn't get her off the phone... So that Good pay turned out to be NOT so good.

I finley had to cut her loose, Because of to many phone calls.

Good luck

youre kidding right

larryinalabama
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I would keep him, even at 10 days on 5 propertys is 15 cuts at 45 thats 665$ per month.
Use his propertys as "fill" time, you may need a stronger mower

nobagger
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I had a customer almost exactly like yours, maybe they are brothers,lol. He was a decent enough guy but every spring and fall he bitched and questioned the bills. He had us cutting 3 properties all of which were just shy of being a slum yard. He tried to get us to cut it every 3 weeks!!!:hammerhead: This year he finally spent some money on one of his properties (a whoppin' 200 bucks) and complained it looked ok but not great. To make a long story short he called me and canceled services because we forgot him the first week of mowing and he was pissed because he left his phyco dog tied up for 3-4 hours. But it was like some one lifted a weight off my chest! It made room for 2 nicer properties that pay a few bucks more a week. He got some sucker to do it and one of the prop's. is a good acre if not pushing 2, and from what I saw he did it with a 21 incher!:laugh::laugh:

nobagger
05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
youre kidding right

Yeah seriously! I'll chit chat for a few minutes to a good customer any day!

MarcSmith
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah seriously! I'll chit chat for a few minutes to a good customer any day! there come a point though. Its one thing to stop in the middle of the day and shoot the breeze, while you have guys sitting in the truck watching the cash register "Kaching" every minute, and its another to get the phone calls at night...

If its a client who calls up 3-4 times a week to talk about nothing...it gets frustrating. Don't ge me wrong, I have no problems holding the customers hand and making sure they feel all arm and fuzzy inside, but there are days when the last thing you want to hear is some nonsensical blabbering....

XterraJohn
05-28-2008, 05:24 PM
So a little long winded but I'm trying to think about letting him go, but on nice terms. How do you guys do it? Anyone have a nice form letter I could look at?

When I was considering this, I did some searching of the old posts and found what I consider to be a GREAT letter from another member. Unfortunately, I don't remember that person's username, but I saved the letter and just modified it ever so slightly:

##############

Dear ,

It is very difficult for me to write this letter. I have to regretfully inform you that we will no longer be able to provide our service for you.

We have been going through a very serious evaluation process of the company. We have made some decisions concerning the direction in which our company is heading. One of the scenarios we had to face was our inability to provide our service for all of our existing customers.

In order to continue growing and offering the highest quality service in the area, we had to cut back on some of the areas and kinds of services we offer. Please recognize that this was not a personal or easy decision to make.

Iím sure you understand that ultimately we have to make the decisions that will have the most positive impact on our business.

I want to personally thank you for allowing us to provide our services for you over the last year.

Sincerely,

lostmdboy
05-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Is that not what caller ID is for????

lawnwizards
05-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Is that not what caller ID is for????

thats what i was thinking.

bohiaa
05-28-2008, 06:31 PM
there come a point though. Its one thing to stop in the middle of the day and shoot the breeze, while you have guys sitting in the truck watching the cash register "Kaching" every minute, and its another to get the phone calls at night...

If its a client who calls up 3-4 times a week to talk about nothing...it gets frustrating. Don't ge me wrong, I have no problems holding the customers hand and making sure they feel all arm and fuzzy inside, but there are days when the last thing you want to hear is some nonsensical blabbering....

YOu Got it. do you think it will rain ? do you think gas will go to 3.00 ? do you think this that the other.... After several nice polite warnings. I had to let her go. I simply cant sit and listen to someone blabble on 3 to 4 hrs a week simply because I'm the " LAWN GUY "

it was taking 6 to 7 hrs a week... simply because I cut the lawn.... that costed me 8 to 9 hes a week.....

I even explaned to her. I have a little over 85 customers. could you figure what would happen if everyone of them called me EACH DAY and wanted 1 to 2 hrs of my time.............

you do the math

AWR
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
is it worth it, that's up to you. i would do it every 10 days let it fly and if he doesn't like it "OH WELL' i sounds like him getting your work is becoming more of a pain in the ass. i have a customer in a 1.5 million dollar house basically looking over manhatten. but it is a small peice of property, can you beleive she as somthing to say every week . now i charge her 30 a cut and when i tell you 10 minutes i mean 10 minutes and i,m out anyway this year she had ask for a mulch estimate, now mind you standing in her driveway with 3 mercades in the garage i got the OH WE CANT A AFFORD THAT.why is you price so hi.(like 80 a yard about 5 yards) so she continues to complain so finally i say, listen do you really think i'm as dumb as i look? what i will do for you is ,you can come live in my appartment and me my wife and daughter can come live here.hows that? well the look i got..just because we have this house and cars doesnt mean we're rich.. mean while she lives around the block from eddie murphy and chris rock and who know who else...but anyway now evey time she complains i simply say GET SOMEONE ELSE I WONT BE MAD..

deadheadbill
05-28-2008, 11:03 PM
YOu Got it. do you think it will rain ? do you think gas will go to 3.00 ? do you think this that the other.... After several nice polite warnings. I had to let her go. I simply cant sit and listen to someone blabble on 3 to 4 hrs a week simply because I'm the " LAWN GUY "

it was taking 6 to 7 hrs a week... simply because I cut the lawn.... that costed me 8 to 9 hes a week.....

I even explaned to her. I have a little over 85 customers. could you figure what would happen if everyone of them called me EACH DAY and wanted 1 to 2 hrs of my time.............

you do the math

I've got customers like that, I just check the caller id and let it go to voicemail.

ALC-GregH
05-28-2008, 11:32 PM

you do the math
I'd make good use of the caller ID feature on my phone. or you could use the excuse that you had the :headphones: on.....

gravedigger5
05-29-2008, 12:14 AM

I just let several customers go because I was downsizing my geographical area. I was just honest with them and that it was a business decision, nothing personal, and for nice terms I offered to mow for them a couple more times until they could get someone else instead of just leaving them hanging.

larryinalabama
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM

you do the math

She wants your BODY