PDA

View Full Version : Plumber license to install irrigation in florida?

Lawn-Sharks
05-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I was talking to some of LCO's in my area about irrigation installs and i asked them if they needed to have a different license then what we alread have for our businesses in order to install complete irrigation systems their answer was NO! not for the installs but maybe for the well pumps in which they sub out to a local well drilling company, but i seem to think i have read somewhere that a plumber license was needed to run these the lines for these systems??? thanks for any help on this matter.

Mike Leary
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
It's required to have a pump guy with a specialty electrical license here, also required
to have certified plumbers install backflow preventers inside the premises. Some states
(Illinois, I believe) require a plumber to supervise the installation of piping & backflow outdoors.
A specialty electrical license is required to install low voltage lighting. Some of this stuff
borders on the absurd. Check your local codes, though.

johnnyaqua
05-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I was talking to some of LCO's in my area about irrigation installs and i asked them if they needed to have a different license then what we alread have for our businesses in order to install complete irrigation systems their answer was NO! not for the installs but maybe for the well pumps in which they sub out to a local well drilling company, but i seem to think i have read somewhere that a plumber license was needed to run these the lines for these systems??? thanks for any help on this matter.

You have to take the Irrigation contractors test and be licensed by the state.
Some municipalities in FL let you install the backflow but it has to be certified by a plumber or backflow certified irrigation contractor. As far as well drilling...that is a completely different set of licenses.

Waterit
05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
What he said ^.

Lawn-Sharks
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info, the irrigation systems around here are ran off a well pump and the houses are fed by city water, i was just asking because the other LCO's that i was talking to seemed a little under knowledged about the hole irrigation license thing but yet their doing them (i dont). I personaly dont have the "want" to do complete installs i feel the money is in the service call to repair them. Thanks again for all the help!

Eileenc
08-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Whats the licensing requirements for the Nasau County, New York area for installation and repairs of irrigation systems as well as installing and repairing backflow devices for domestic or irrigation service lines?

Waterit
08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Whats the licensing requirements for the Nasau County, New York area for installation and repairs of irrigation systems as well as installing and repairing backflow devices for domestic or irrigation service lines?

Call the local Building Inspection department, they'll know.

WaterGuru
08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Each county is different. I hold licenses in Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Pasco, Hillsboro and Hernando counties. There is no "state" irrigation license, (the Florida Irrigation Society has been working to get one for 5 years now) If a county requires you to hold a license as most do (the only county I have found that does not is Manatee county) it is called a specialty plumbers license, some add lawn sprinklers and some add irrigation o the end of it. Some cities require you to have a license on top of the one the county requires (Tampa is like this)
I also know from experience that is a county requires you to have a license to install irrigation, they also require the same license to do any type of maintenance. Palm Beach county is a real hard a s s when it comes to working on irrigation with out a license. You can't even change a nozzle without it. Connecting to water meters and pumps and hooking up electric all require their respective licenses.