PDA

View Full Version : back pages

Mike M
05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Okay, I just made it today to the pool store for lubricant, like Chris J said I should. Is the teflon stuff better, same or worse?? I think the flash or smoke point is 425. Anyone use this stuff? I bought one tube of regular silicone (I think that's what the regular one is) and one with the teflon.

Also, which size conduit fits the typical larger knockout in a trans? I'm just about through with the flex and I'm sick of pulling the CAST #10 through it.

Chris J
05-29-2008, 08:42 AM
To be honest, I never noticed that there was two different varieties and I don't know which I used. For the past several months, I've switched to the Truck Lite brand of corrosion preventative compound. The silicone works fine, but I've noticed that it dries up around the o-rings pretty quickly. Joey mentioned a die-electric grease vendor that they use for there fixtures. I've been trying to find that post so I could get the product number again. Any help Joey?
The large knock-out is 1 3/4 "

The Lighting Geek
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM

I think you meant 1 1/4"

irrig8r
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
To be honest, I never noticed that there was two different varieties and I don't know which I used. For the past several months, I've switched to the Truck Lite brand of corrosion preventative compound. The silicone works fine, but I've noticed that it dries up around the o-rings pretty quickly. Joey mentioned a die-electric grease vendor that they use for there fixtures. I've been trying to find that post so I could get the product number again. Any help Joey?

Here ya go Chris:

We use NovaGard G661 on EVERYTHING. We used to use NO-Lox and Ox-Guard but found out that both of those do not have real good properties when exposed to heat over time. They tend to harden where the NovaGard Silicone Compound works not only as a Dielectric Compound but it also is a Rubber and Plastic lubricant, it has excellent vacume capabilities so when you push your wires into a wire nut you can actually hear it pop and suck the wire in and coat it. It has very good water resistance and has temp ratings from -40deg F to 400deg F.

For additional information or where to purchase you can call NovaGard Solutions at 1-800-380-0138. It is a very good product. we use it on all sockets, lamps, and connections. Agin the part number is G661.

Lite4
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
depends on the trans. Unique is a 1 1/4, and Vista is a 1 1/2. Which one are you using Mike?

Chris J
05-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info Greg! Mike, I'll have to go measure it to be sure, but the Kichler MDL's state that it's 1 3/4" in the catalog. This could very well be a typo though. I'll look at it and get back to you.

Mike M
05-29-2008, 11:03 PM
thanks guys, went to Lowes and bought the housing/end part for a couple sizes (forgot the plate in my truck and was too lazy to go back out to get it).

The 1.25 was it for my trans.

Chris, Billy, and those discussing going under walks; I got the product you glue on the conduit and hook up to a hose. Holy Lord, only took a minute after I dug the holes. The walk area was about five feet.

Chris J
05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Glad you like the method, but there is no need for glue. Just buy a hose adaptor that has a female threaded end for the hose, and a slip connection for the 3/4" or 1/2" sleeve. You can reuse it probably 100 times. If your doing these by yourself, you can get a ball valve connector for the hose end and turn it on/off when you are ready.
Your next task should be to do it under a 12-16' driveway. As long as you dig your holes correctly, and make sure you are level and true, you will be amazed at how it only takes another 30 seconds to do this.
Just make sure you never do this on driveways that are pavers!

Mike M
05-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Chris,

How do you get the pvc level for a straight shot across? It keeps wanting to go deeper from the angle, even though I am trying to bend it straight. Are you digging a wide trench to the side of the drive? Do you use two people? I would imagine the hole would have to be wide enough to work the pipe.

irrig8r
05-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Chris,

How do you get the pvc level for a straight shot across? It keeps wanting to go deeper from the angle, even though I am trying to bend it straight. Are you digging a wide trench to the side of the drive? Do you use two people? I would imagine the hole would have to be wide enough to work the pipe.

Let me know when you figure that one out... it's all in the angle of the dangle... hit any obstacle and the pipe/ conduit tends to angle downward...

Chris J
05-30-2008, 12:07 AM
For longer jets, you need a longer starting box. I usually dig my box about 4-5 feet long by 6" wide, so I don't have to bend the pipe so much. I also do it by "eye" and I don't use any level. Your ending box, on longer jets should be about 1.5' x 1'. This is not hard, you just have to eyeball it in. Just remember your thrid girlfriend. By then, I hope you knew how to aim!

Chris J
05-30-2008, 12:10 AM
You have to line everything up straight from the beginning. You will not have success with this if you don't have a good eye. I used to be a pool player and that's why I think this is so easy for me.

Chris J
05-30-2008, 12:25 AM
On another note, there are times when the pipe will veer off like Gregg suggested. If this happens, it's a good idea to have a 521 locator available, which I have. You can simply push a conductor through your pipe to the end, then use your locator to find out where it came out. This has happened, so I didn't want to forget to mention it.

Mike M
05-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks, Chris. A long box at the beginning makes sense.

So, you've found it unnecessary to glue the nozzle? Also, are you using a coupling for the one inch pipe, and not gluing that either?

Thanks again,

Mike

irrig8r
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
This is not hard, you just have to eyeball it in. Just remember your third girlfriend. By then, I hope you knew how to aim!

That was funny!

Chris J
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Chris. A long box at the beginning makes sense.

So, you've found it unnecessary to glue the nozzle? Also, are you using a coupling for the one inch pipe, and not gluing that either?

Thanks again,

Mike

Coupling? Do you mean to make the sleeve longer as needed? I purchase PVC in 20' lengths and I normally use 3/4". On occasion, I'll glue some short, leftover pieces together. But yes, you absolutly need to glue the conduit pieces together. No need to glue the nozzle on though.