PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! Whacked in the face by too many branches!

iamthelawnbarber
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I have many clients who have trees with low hanging branches, weeping willows, and whatnot. I am having trouble mowing around them, and when I use my rider I end up getting whacked in the face & arms and have the scars to prove it. Do I send out a memo to these clients to cut back their trees? If so, how do I do it without causing any offense to the customer? Do I offer to trim back the trees? Do I charge to do it? Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks!

AndyTblc
05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I just did this to a tree on my neighbors and mines property and I asked him if I can trim some of the stuff up and he helped me do it, and at 2 other spots, I just went ahead and trimmed them up, I'd rather take a few extra minutes trimming some branches and stuff then having a living a life with my face scarred up.

k911lowe
05-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I have many clients who have trees with low hanging branches, weeping willows, and whatnot. I am having trouble mowing around them, and when I use my rider I end up getting whacked in the face & arms and have the scars to prove it. Do I send out a memo to these clients to cut back their trees? If so, how do I do it without causing any offense to the customer? Do I offer to trim back the trees? Do I charge to do it? Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks!

grin and bear it.its part of the job.a lot of customers like their trees like that and would rather get rid of you than have their trees trimmed.

DuallyVette
05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
1) a memo will take too long for a response. And doesn't give you a chance to sell your idea and or service.
2)Offending the customer: If you knock on the door and say "YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR G** d*M TREE LIMBS" you'll probably offend them. If you tell them that the lower limbs on the trees make it difficult to mow (safely). Then offer them a price for elevating the trees, or If you don't have the capability to remove the lower limbs ask them to contact a tree service.

The customer may like the low limbs (privacy). I would act surprised" Really ??? "I like the open airy feel of a lawn with the limbs elevated."

Then you have to decide ...do you want the mowing job or not...think about it so that you'll be ready to decide if you want to walk away.

k911lowe
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
1) a memo will take too long for a response. And doesn't give you a chance to sell your idea and or service.
2)Offending the customer: If you knock on the door and say "YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR G** d*M TREE LIMBS" you'll probably offend them. If you tell them that the lower limbs on the trees make it difficult to mow (safely). Then offer them a price for elevating the trees, or If you don't have the capability to remove the lower limbs ask them to contact a tree service.

The customer may like the low limbs (privacy). I would act surprised" Really ??? "I like the open airy feel of a lawn with the limbs elevated."

Then you have to decide ...do you want the mowing job or not...think about it so that you'll be ready to decide if you want to walk away.

don't u think they would be trimmed if the customer didnt like them that way?

tb8100
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
don't u think they would be trimmed if the customer didnt like them that way?

not if they didn't know about them. If they never cut their own lawn and nobody ever said anything, it would never enter the minds of most consumers.

Precision Lawns
05-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Not necessarily, some people are just plain lazy, don't care or don't pay attention. I have a bunch of customers who don't even think about the outside of their house until I bring it up. Just be ready for a price if they want the service, a line if they don't and have a decision made if they just won't let you trim them.

gene gls
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Low hanging limbs is a safty issue, for you and your customer plus any of thier friends that walk the lawn. Every business has to address safty issues for insurance purpoese. A customers property is no different than the business where your customer works. I have a couple customers that are against cutting limbs. Simple solution, change the lawn configureation so that area does not need mowing. For most of my properties I carry hand pruners and clip anything that gets in my face on a weekly basis. If its time for a major cut back then I let the customer know that when I do the yearly trimming ,I will be cutting the limbs that are in my face when mowing.

BanvilleLawnCare
05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Unless the trees are really overgrown and actually do need to be trimmed you are just gonna have to deal with it. I take some pretty good beatings from some of my customers trees and bushes. I have one customer with a long row of prickly holly bushes that I have to trim around:dizzy: Another customer used to have a bird house hanging from a low branch that would bash me in the face every week. But the very worst is when I have to trim around trees and I get so focused on making a nice line that I forget to look up and I get hit right on the coconut with a thick branch. Not good:laugh:

billslawn89
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I just did this to a tree on my neighbors and mines property and I asked him if I can trim some of the stuff up and he helped me do it, and at 2 other spots, I just went ahead and trimmed them up, I'd rather take a few extra minutes trimming some branches and stuff then having a living a life with my face scarred up.

yep. same here. i would either ask the client about trimming the branches or just trim them myself. at any rate, i spend alittle extra time that day and every other visit will be easier and faster since your not ducking or getting poked in the head, and of course i tell the client its no charge. then they go for that! :dancing: