PDA

View Full Version : Gravely

Allen's LS
05-29-2008, 12:01 AM
OK, Here goes. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Gravely walk behind. I was looking at the Pro 1536H. Previously I was thinking about a floating deck, but the dealer says that I should go with a fixed deck. He states that there is more to go wrong with a floating deck and it costs more to fix than a fixed deck. Is this true? Does a fixed deck cut as good as a floating deck? What about scalping? Also is $4500 aprox. a good price for this particular unit? I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I need to know before I hand over that kind of cash.

tb8100
05-29-2008, 12:40 AM
OK, Here goes. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Gravely walk behind. I was looking at the Pro 1536H. Previously I was thinking about a floating deck, but the dealer says that I should go with a fixed deck. He states that there is more to go wrong with a floating deck and it costs more to fix than a fixed deck. Is this true? Does a fixed deck cut as good as a floating deck? What about scalping? Also is $4500 aprox. a good price for this particular unit? I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I need to know before I hand over that kind of cash.

How much does a Pro Stance cost? Aren't they close to that price?

Allen's LS
05-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Bump......

lawnspecialties
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Two things I've noticed here. But first, let me say the only walk-behind I've ever owned was a Quick36 Samurai.

To me (in my "not too smart" opinion), it sounds like the dealer has a fixed deck he needs to get rid of. I didn't know floating decks were even prone to problems.

Like tb said, have you looked at the Pro-Stance? Since switching to Gravely, I've considered getting one as well.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me please chime in.

John Gamba
05-29-2008, 07:48 PM

I got Quoted 4800 for a Fixed deck 48" hydro. this was in Massachusetts. I think the 36" is a hard to adjust fixed deck??? If you need to change your height often it could be a problem. see if its the 4 pin type fixed deck. As for more problems??? does the dealer have the fixed one on the floor???? find out how much more for the Floating deck then decide.

Let us know.

freshprince94
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Two things I've noticed here. But first, let me say the only walk-behind I've ever owned was a Quick36 Samurai.

To me (in my "not too smart" opinion), it sounds like the dealer has a fixed deck he needs to get rid of. I didn't know floating decks were even prone to problems.
Like tb said, have you looked at the Pro-Stance? Since switching to Gravely, I've considered getting one as well.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me please chime in.

That's what it sounds like to me. But the Gravely w/b s are nice, I use one regularly at my job. Get a Velke if you can though.

Allen's LS
05-31-2008, 01:53 AM
I have talked with a few other LCO's in my are and they say to get the floating deck... I think you guys are right about the dealer wanting to get rid of a fixed deck on the floor...

delphied
05-31-2008, 06:46 AM
I was thinking about a stand on myself but I think Im gonna go with a WB and Proslide because it would be more versatile. I could mow inclines and odd places easier with a WB I think. Im trying to figure out if Hydro is worth the cost. I think floating is the way to go. MR Gamba, could you please comment? THX

John Gamba
05-31-2008, 07:28 AM
I was thinking about a stand on myself but I think Im gonna go with a WB and Proslide because it would be more versatile. I could mow inclines and odd places easier with a WB I think. Im trying to figure out if Hydro is worth the cost. I think floating is the way to go. MR Gamba, could you please comment? THX

Hydro all the way.The gravely hydro has 18" rear tires and can go up to 8.5 Mph:cool2:

ProStreetCamaro
05-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Wooo wooo wooo hold on a minute. Your looking at a 36" machine correct? If thats correct there is NO need in the world for a floating deck plain and simple. Its so narrow there is no worry about scalping with a 36" machine. Before we started useing ZTR's back in the late 90's we ran a 52", 50" and 2 36" WB's and all of them were fixed decks and belt driven. Even with the bigger decks we never had any issues with scalping and we also never had any issues with the belt drives and every one of these machines had a velky on them.

People have gone over board with the floating deck and hydro drive walk behinds in my oppinion. It simply not needed. Now I can see somebody wanting the hydro if your looking for a little extra speed but other than that there is no need for hydro.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I have to agree here with Prostreet, weve never had any issuse with scalping with a 36 inch deck W.B. or even decks up to 52 inches. Hydros are nice if your looking for more speed .They also in my opinion are better when its wet outside from rain. There easier on the Hands If its going to be a primary mower all day use i'd get a fixed deck Hydro 36 if thats the size your lookin at. The Garvely is a sweet Machine .I had the opertunity to play around with the Prosteer hydro ,it was very comfortable and responsive. $ 4500 is way to high for a 1536 hydro. My dealer quoted me $5400 for there 1952 Prosteer hydro there top WB.

John Gamba
05-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Wooo wooo wooo hold on a minute. Your looking at a 36" machine correct? If thats correct there is NO need in the world for a floating deck plain and simple. Its so narrow there is no worry about scalping with a 36" machine. Before we started useing ZTR's back in the late 90's we ran a 52", 50" and 2 36" WB's and all of them were fixed decks and belt driven. Even with the bigger decks we never had any issues with scalping and we also never had any issues with the belt drives and every one of these machines had a velky on them.

People have gone over board with the floating deck and hydro drive walk behinds in my oppinion. It simply not needed. Now I can see somebody wanting the hydro if your looking for a little extra speed but other than that there is no need for hydro.

If you change your height often? you need the floater.

lickliss
05-31-2008, 01:09 PM
I run a Gravely 32" non-hydro unit. I tried a few other hydros, they are very heavy, the non hydro Gravely machines weigh a ton too, but save you a pound or two. I went 32" to have a better chance through a gate. I am a big Gravely fan and the durability and cut quality is excellent. I would demo the stander before I passed judgement. You may find you can handle so much terrain you didn't think you could cover, that you can merely trim excessively steep areas with a good 21". Dollar for dollar the stand on's are an excellent value and the enhanced productivity translates into more money in your pocket. Above all consider the dealer. You should be able to demo any item you are considering. Even if you only drive the stander around the parking lot, try everything. My 32 has the 4 pin adjust, like anything the more you do it the easier the procedure becomes. Unless you cannot physically accomplish the deck adjust without concern for injury then it would be a secondary consideration for me.

ProStreetCamaro
05-31-2008, 05:28 PM
If you change your height often? you need the floater.

Not with the 4 pin design that gravely uses. I assume the 36 has that feature also?

John Gamba
05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
:hammerhead:Not with the 4 pin design that gravely uses. I assume the 36 has that feature also?

I think the 36 is like my new scag.let me look. ok the 32 & 34 are. the 36 is pinned.

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 04:07 PM
OK, I am going to look at, and maybe by this machine. I'll let ya know. :drinkup:

John Gamba
06-06-2008, 04:15 PM
OK, I am going to look at, and maybe by this machine. I'll let ya know. :drinkup:

Cool:):):)

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Well I went and done it now. I better get used to this machine (Slight learning curve) and get some more accounts. LOL... :clapping:

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Second Pic...

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Third Pic...

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Fourth Pic...

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Fifth Pic...

Allen's LS
06-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Sixth Pic...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-06-2008, 11:57 PM
That's the floating deck, right? Lemme know how it does. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these.

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:04 AM
No this is the fixed deck. I talked with a lot of people and for a 36" I can get a way with a fixed deck. If I go bigger I will go with a floating deck. :drinkup:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-07-2008, 12:05 AM
That's the floating deck, right? Lemme know how it does. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these.

You'll like it ! Very comfortable handles. Get the proslide ,its very fast ! You dont need a floater deck on a 36

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:06 AM
No this is the fixed deck. I talked with a lot of people and for a 36" I can get a way with a fixed deck. If I go bigger I will go with a floating deck. :drinkup:

Hmmm, doesn't look like the fixed deck on their website.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:07 AM
What did you end up paying?

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Hmmm, doesn't look like the fixed deck on their website.

I think they use a lot of the same pics on the website. I was looking at them before I bought and noticed that.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I think they use a lot of the same pics on the website. I was looking at them before I bought and noticed that.

So you can adjust the deck height on this one from the sides?

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:09 AM
What did you end up paying?

Including tax, a metal bag, and the first service $4173.00 out the door.

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
So you can adjust the deck height on this one from the sides?

Yeah. there are four pins. Its really easy to adjust.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Right on. I was just quoted $4150, but then they want a delivery fee, tax, and probably more for a bag...

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah. there are four pins. Its really easy to adjust.

Thats one of the things i liked about the gravely ,no more caster spacers ! Its pretty easy to adjust ,i agree.

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Thats one of the things i liked about the gravely ,no more caster spacers ! Its pretty easy to adjust ,i agree.

My youngest son was watching me and asking how hard it was. I said lets see. It was as simple as my 21" Honda. I was really surprised.:clapping:

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I hope my wife is reading this thread...

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-07-2008, 12:18 AM

Buy her one too :laugh:

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:20 AM

Well if you have as much property as I have been reading about. Your gonna need something bigger than a 36" I would get into a WAM or a 72 Zero turn.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Well if you have as much property as I have been reading about. Your gonna need something bigger than a 36" I would get into a WAM or a 72 Zero turn.

Most of my land will remain pasture. I'm gonna buy cows to teach my 4 little boys some good old fashioned work ethic and responsibility.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:23 AM

And anything bigger than a 36" out here won't fit in half the gates and will scalp the living crap out of all the goofy, hilly landscaping... And a Z can't handle 'em, either.

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Most of my land will remain pasture. I'm gonna buy cows to teach my 4 little boys some good old fashioned work ethic and responsibility.

If your getting cows. Pleeeease tell me your gonna your boys how to go Cow Tipping... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:28 AM
If your getting cows. Pleeeease tell me your gonna your boys how to go Cow Tipping... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have 4 boys! Any and all mischief will be experienced with or without my help over the next decade or so. :cry:

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I have 4 boys! Any and all mischief will be experienced with or without my help over the next decade or so. :cry:

And believe me there will be a lot of it... LOL... Mine keep me on my toes all the time. I'm just glad they aren't doing what I was doing...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:31 AM
...I'm just glad they aren't doing what I was doing...

You think so? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Well maybe I'm turning a blind eye to some things. But they don't have the space around here that I had when i was a kid. And they bust you for even the smallest of things nowadays... :hammerhead:

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Well maybe I'm turning a blind eye to some things. But they don't have the space around here that I had when i was a kid. And they bust you for even the smallest of things nowadays... :hammerhead:

We live down a long dead-end road surrounded by farmland. I'm hoping this will limit their options.

Allen's LS
06-07-2008, 12:51 AM
We live down a long dead-end road surrounded by farmland. I'm hoping this will limit their options.

See where you live was kinda how I grew up, and the fact that my best friends dad had a big shop and owned an Excavation company only encouraged my options... Farmland, Cows, Dead end road, and open space. Your in for a lot of fun my friend. :cry::laugh::hammerhead: