PDA

View Full Version : Bid Quiz....!!!

cleancut
12-24-2001, 12:42 PM
Hey guys and gals...Here's a little test of your vast knowledge..Let's see who gets closest to the winning bid.
This job calls for:
30 flats of 4" begonias (12 per flat)
10 flats of marigolds (36 per flat)
20 flats of impatients (18 per flat)
15 flats of 6" Chrysanthimums (10 per flat)
38 flats of Pansies (36 per flat)

Your price needs to include plants, bed prep., application of dry slow release fert., weekly inspection, and replacement of dead flowers at your expense. What would you charge to do this??? Keep in mind, it's one part of a total maintenance contract.. I'll post my bid after I get some responses...The winner will receive absolutely nothing...Thanks....Derrick

LoneStarLawn
12-24-2001, 03:14 PM
Location makes a big difference....since cost of living does play a major part in the bidding process. In this case how can this "contest" be done with an "correct" bid and all of us being all over the country and even the globe?

If you were to take this line out..
Originally posted by cleancut
Hey guys and gals...Here's a little test of your vast knowledge..Let's see who gets closest to the winning bid.
...then I can understand that you are just looking to see what others charge.

65hoss
12-24-2001, 04:10 PM
So how is the winning bid determined? There is no real correct answer. Just a thought anyway.

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-24-2001, 04:44 PM
$1043.27

strickdad
12-24-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by chicks-dig-lawn-guys
$1043.27 YOURE HIRED!!

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-24-2001, 08:39 PM
aight I'll drive to NC to pick up the check

cleancut
12-24-2001, 11:53 PM
God guys lighten up just a hair....There are no real winners, it's just a little quiz to have some fun and see where everybody stands...These flowers are pretty common and there shouldn't be a big difference in price and if there is you can still make a bid...You guys need to loosen up a little....So let's start rolling in some estimates....Thanks for the one and only bid, chicks...Derrick

lawncare
12-25-2001, 07:29 AM
Down south i do it 4 1200 even plus tax

Pauls Mowing
12-25-2001, 09:39 AM
While this is certainly not my area of work, looks like to me the bid is $0. No bid. Customer want me to buy and replace dead flowers at my expense? I don't think so, Tim....Looks like a really good deal to the customer, though.

Paul

LoneStarLawn
12-25-2001, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by cleancut
God guys lighten up just a hair....There are no real winners, it's just a little quiz to have some fun and see where everybody stands...These flowers are pretty common and there shouldn't be a big difference in price and if there is you can still make a bid...You guys need to loosen up a little....So let's start rolling in some estimates....Thanks for the one and only bid, chicks...Derrick

It is funny how people read into things on here. No one is upset about anything that you posted. My post was meant to inform people, who may not have a clue on how things work, that your post may be misleading if a "correct" quote is given. Some people may see the "winning bid" and think they need to adjust there price to that bid though other factors play a big part in each bid for each company.

theplantdoctor
12-25-2001, 04:31 PM
30 flats of 4" begonias (12 per flat)
10 flats of marigolds (36 per flat)
20 flats of impatients (18 per flat)
15 flats of 6" Chrysanthimums (10 per flat)
38 flats of Pansies (36 per flat)

Your price needs to include plants, bed prep., application of dry slow release fert., weekly inspection, and replacement of dead flowers at your expense. What would you charge to do this??

---One of the motels that we maintain uses numbers pretty much like this.
Cost to install (including flowers) is about $2000.00 CDN.
Fertilizer for these beds is about $60.00.
Inspection occurs every time we show up to water the flowers, which is as often as required, $35.00 per visit, one person. Watering is open ended and I would not negotiate a fixed rate. I have tried that, YOU LOSE! As far as "replace at your expense", NOT A CHANCE! Too many factors involved, so why should you take the hit.
We have maintained this property since it opened 5 years ago and the owners are very happy with the arrangement. I guess the 3 big awards we got them has something to do with it, too! I treat them like gold and they keep sending the money and spin off work!
Ken

Pauls Mowing
12-25-2001, 05:13 PM
I'm curious Chicks and Lawncare:

All the flowers died. You now have to replace them. Where did the profit go? How much did you have to dig out of your pocket to fullfill the terms of the contract?

Paul

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-25-2001, 10:14 PM
Well I haven't signed anything yet so therefore I am not intitled to do anything....you just have dead flowers

lawncare
12-26-2001, 08:55 AM
if they dont ask about warrenty on the flowers which most i deal with dont. then i dont open my mouth if they ask what happen to them then ill tell them were they went wrong. i do tell them how to water them for starters.

kris
12-26-2001, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by lawncare
Down south i do it 4 1200 even plus tax

Are you sure you could even buy the flowers for that amount?

Without giving this too much thought at all ... sounds like around $30 a flat installed. plus plus plus .

cleancut
12-26-2001, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the bids everybody...My bid for this project is $3,468.50. It wouldn't have been this high if they didn't want the 4" begonias and 6" Chrysanthimums..Also, I added extra since I'm responsible for any dead flowers.. If some die, then I'm covered and if they don't, then I've made more of a profit..After labor and expenses, my profit should be around $1500 to $1700. The flowers are going to cost me about $1400 to $1600. Derrick