PDA

View Full Version : Chevy owners-do you get the buzzzzzz...

MATTHEW
12-24-2001, 05:42 PM
Just wondering if any other Chevy owners get the loud buzz from the fuel pump when you turn the key on?

gene gls
12-24-2001, 11:37 PM
At least you know its working " if " it starts. I used to have a 57 chevy that ticked.

Gene

Pauls Mowing
12-25-2001, 08:14 AM
I had a '98 Z-71 which had the same problem. Dealer said it was normal. I've heard others with the same noise.

Paul

OBRYANMAINT
12-25-2001, 08:17 PM
i had an un reliable source tell me that the louder they are the closer they are to failing........i don't know how much of this is true but i have an 89 2500 that the fuel pump was loud for about three years before it failed and a 97 that went for around the same before failing and my new one makes virtually no noise at all

if i were you i wouldnt worry too much but as with any other replaceable part be ready to fix it whenever it does fail

thelawnguy
12-25-2001, 10:20 PM
There are isolators around the pump, if they are not installed just right (or missing-they are a PITA to install so sometimes they are left out :( ) the pump will be louder than say from an identical model.

Andy Miller
12-25-2001, 10:39 PM
My 1997 1/2 c-1500 lost it's fuel pump while under warrenty. It would have been expensive. New one sounds the same as the old one. I am an old Chevy fan. Even have a 68 stepside that I am hot rodding. But, I have to say this 1997 is the WORST truck I have ever owned. It is well maintained and never abused, but has left me standed 3 times. It is a lemon. Not a real truck in the true sense. My last Chevy (truck or Car). I am also a old Corvette owner. Chevy has lost me as a new car/truck purchaser. JUNK JUNK JUNK

smalltime
12-27-2001, 03:30 AM
My 2000 silverado makes the fuel pump noise. I don't recall my 98 making the noise like the 2000 though.

Sorry to hear about your situation Andy, I have never been stranded by a chevy new or old.

I am a die hard chevy fan. I have had a few. My first was a 79 nova with a 250 straight 6. Probably one of the best engines ever made by GM, as a matter of fact, I believe it is what is in the new Trail Blazer, if I'm not mistaken. I also had a 73 nova with a 350. Had a 72 corvette convertible, lots of fun, but the biggest pos I ever owned. Had a 92 Lumina, very reliable, hell on the brake pads though. Had a 91 S-10 with the 2.8 liter and a 5 speed, nice little truck. Had a 89 S-10 with a 4 cylinder and an auto; not very good when it came to gas mileage. Had an 89 beretta, bought for $2K, sold for $2.6K. Had the 98 K-1500 which was a regular cab, replaced with a 2000, K-1500, extended cab with 4 doors when the twin daughters came along.

The last two trucks have been the best. I love or loved them both. Both are indigo blue metalic.

Steve

MATTHEW
12-29-2001, 06:51 PM
When it comes to autos it seems the nicer they look, the less reliable they are.
I think Chrysler has the best looking cars, trucks for the most part
but you have to carry extra transmissions in the trunk.
Ford has nice ergonomics when you get inside, but its a rough ride being pulled by a tow truck.
Gm has the most lame looking vehicles of all (with the exception of the Corvettes and NEW Silverados) but they usually are mechanically reliable for a long time.
I have had Chryslers, Fords, and just switched to Chevy. We'll see

odin
12-29-2001, 08:27 PM
My first chevy was a 1955 pickup in got in 1964 when i was 16.
Only problem i ever had with a chevy truck was a 1977 the body rusted away but the motor and trans were fine.
Andy miller as a former gm employee i hate to here your disatifaction with your truck.
I hope chevy dont get to many lemons out there because those sales pay into my pension fund.

John DiMartino
12-30-2001, 02:02 AM
a lot of gm pumps are noisey,if you hear yours geting noisey,it may be one of 2 things,its getting ready to fail,or the filter is plugging up,when the filter plugs,the pump strains and works harder,this makes the pump noisey and in time will make it die early.IMO,90% of ffuel pumps fail because of lack of fuel filter maintance.My cousins 91 Chevy 1500 has 300k on it,original pump,and its quiet,he gets the filter changed twice a year,since new.Remember how a pump operates,the unused fuel is recirculated back to the tank,the constant flow is what cools the pump,especially when the tank is below 1/2,then the pump is exposed,and gets hotter,if the filter is plugging,even slightly,the returning fuel flow will trickle,or stop,so the pump will run hot because the fuel flow that cools it as it passes thru it,has slowed down at the same time,an extra load is being placed on the pump,making it run even hotter yet,and straining it.

bob
12-30-2001, 06:46 PM
My friend 1997 has the same noise. He said that its always done that. Also his driveshaft makes a noise, especially when its cold. He seems to think that an internal weld broke off.

Andy Miller
12-30-2001, 09:44 PM
I think 1997 may have been a vodoo year for Chevy. My transmission had a major hard part failure just out of warrenty. I always change the oil myself, the dealer said that they may have fixed my transmission had I had routine maintenance performed at their dealership. What does engine oil have to do with the transmission? The only thing worst than car salesman are the service people. Maybe Ford does build a better truck. :cry:

John DiMartino
12-31-2001, 09:30 AM
Andy,no matter how bad the Chevy,it s stilll better than a Ford as far as breakdowns,and durability.I agree ,Ford trucks are heavier,and they have much more models,and a better diesel than Chevy,but thats where it ends,the Chevy's have been very durable,mine,my familys,and the customers that come in the shop,the Chevys seem to hold up better,from what ive seen.Especially the front ends,tranny,oil leaks,wiring problems.

odin
12-31-2001, 06:29 PM
John
I dont know to much about that ford diesel being that much better the duramax i got is pretty good
But you comments make an old gm worker smile:D

John DiMartino
01-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Thanks Odin, I was reffering to the 6.5,(which is not a bad motor,in many cases)the D-max is to new to for any comparisons to a proven engine like the powerstroke,its got 8 yrs of production.

MATTHEW
01-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Back to the pump- are there 2 pumps or just the one in the tank?

John DiMartino
01-03-2002, 09:24 PM
Mathew,there is one pump,it is in the tank.When ever i want to access the pump on a Gm C/K pickup,I pull the bed off the truck,without a lift,it is much easier to do the job right this way,and it doesnt take to long.I have a chain fall,back under it,I have air tools,in 10-15 minutes(if you have a factory hitch),the bed is ready to come off,8 18mm bolts,you can get all of them with an 18mm impact socket,and 12" extension,1/2 " dr impact gun.Then there is one 10 mm ground bolt holding the fuel tank ground to the bed,unhook it,3 7mm bolts,to the fuel filler neck,open the fuel door,remove them.At the rear of the bed,pop off the 2 connectors,for the tailights,and licnse plate lights,then one ground strap,The bed simply lifts off,after that,i use 4 short straps to each corner of the bed,lift it with chain fall or 4 strong guys,once its off.it is a cake job,and its easy to pressure wasn the entir frame,check the fuel brake lines for rust,and do all the work it needs now,shocks are a breeze to change now,so is exhaust,diff service,adding load boosters,or air bags,add a leafs .it is all easy to d with the bed off.The fuel pump is so easy to pull and change now.After powerwashing it,I repaint,or under coat the entire frame,and brake lines,then use plenty of never seize on all the bolts to the bed when you reinstall them.

mdb landscaping
01-04-2002, 07:17 PM
i had a 98 silverado z71, that made the noise. it dont think its a problem, but just a characteristic of that seris truck that year.

MountaineerTom
01-28-2002, 12:56 AM
My '99 new body style Silverado makes that noise everynow and then. Of course the dealer can't duplicate it when I've taken it in. Hasn't given me any problems thought. :)

Ray&Christine
01-29-2002, 11:42 PM
My original fuel pump just went about a month ago on my 94 k1500 with 300000km on it. The original pump was silent but the new one is loud. My dad has a 97 S-10 his fuel pump is very loud. Some are noisy some are not.

Ray

yorkpaddy
02-11-2002, 06:02 PM
I have an 88 chevy 1500, for the past 2 months I have been getting really good gas mileage, 16 mpg. Then last week, my fuel pump went. Its at a garage now. They want $500 for the sending unit + labor. I think I can do the work myself if I have too. The gm dealer wants $400 for the sending unit, + $70 for the pump. Trak auto wants $50 for the pump, same as pep boys. The good year service area mentioned the possibilty that my sending unit had corroded off and fallen into the tank, neccesitating a whole sending unit instead of just the pump. Pep boys wants $240 for just the pump and labor to replace it. How hard is it to do this work myself? what special tools do I have to use? And how hard will it be to make the fuel connections?

John DiMartino
02-11-2002, 06:57 PM
You can do it if you have basic mechanical skills,and a good tools set.Pull the bed off,it is easier,to do that way.The sending unit lines are all rotted out by now,replace it,and all the lines right up to where they turn into braided stainless under the cab,after the filter.,also this is a good time to replace the brake line to the rear brakes,wiht the bed off,its easy,the line rots out along side the fueltank every time.if you do it,you'll need an 18mm 1/2 dr socker,and long extension,to get the 8 bed bolts off. PM me if you need more info,or help.Good luck

1grnlwn
03-09-2002, 01:50 AM
I have an 88 chevy 1500, for the past 2 months I have been getting really good gas mileage, 16 mpg. Then last week, my fuel pump went.

Thats interesting. What do you want to bet you have been running lean for two months because your fuel pump was self destructing. My 2000 2500 sounds like you are standing next to F-16.

MATTHEW
03-09-2002, 10:27 PM
I sold my "dirty work" Ford truck and the Chevy is getting daily use now. The "buzz" has now progressed to a distinctive whining sound. :(