PDA

View Full Version : Any way to fix a pinhole leak without replacing the fitting?

bcg
05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a T connection with a pinhole leak in the inside corner of the T. Where it's at is going to be a real PITA to replace teh fitting, is there anyway to repair the small leak without replacing the fitting? I think probably no but figured it's worth asking.

No Rush
05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.dawnindustries.com/

look at the kwickrepair fittings; they make a T slipfix.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
look at the kwickrepair fittings; they make a T slipfix.

Have you used those? I always wondered & worried about o-rings failing,
which is why I went to 90s or 45s. I have seen pinholes "fixed" with a screw,
a ton of glue & electrical tape: never saw one that worked.

slowleak1
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
JB Weld FTW

bcg
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I considered a screw but didn't want to jerry-rig it and didn't really think it'd work anyway.

Where it's at, there are 2 valves placed so closely together that the T and L are touching each other so a slip fix isn't going to work either. I think I'm going to just have to cut it out and do it right, I just thought I'd see if there might be something that could be injected into a hole that I didn't know about.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry man. I feel your pain.

WalkGood
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM

There is no o-rings with kwik-repair. All glued. Think of a stopless coupler for copper pipe. Better yet, click on that link and take a look.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
There was a product, never used it...like fiberglass tape that could be wrapped around
the leak, water-activated..sorry, can't remember where I saw it, some speciality supply
catalog that sold plumbing supplies.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Better yet, click on that link and take a look.

I did, looked pretty neat, thanks.

WalkGood
05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I did, looked pretty neat, thanks.

Had to use one on a PVC line once (mostly poly around here except for commercial) - sidewalk repair guys used a 10-foot wide bucket to dig a 3 foot wide sidewalk!!! They broke the 2" PVC mainline in the grass area 4 feet from the sidewalk. Anyway that "slip" feature sure makes it easy to repair solid pipe like PVC without digging 9 feet on either side.

WalkGood
05-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I considered a screw but didn't want to jerry-rig it and didn't really think it'd work anyway.

Where it's at, there are 2 valves placed so closely together that the T and L are touching each other so a slip fix isn't going to work either. I think I'm going to just have to cut it out and do it right, I just thought I'd see if there might be something that could be injected into a hole that I didn't know about.

Even if something held the pinhole..... the rest of that t-fitting might have other faults and blow apart too. Cut out what you need to fix and redo but use a kwik-repair slip coupler (non-tee) on the ends.

EagleLandscape
05-29-2008, 06:19 PM
just dig a big hole and get to work:) only way to do it. i hate using slip fixes and compression fittings if i absolutely dont have to. I'd rather use glue anytime i can.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
just dig a big hole and get to work:) only way to do it. i hate using slip fixes and compression fittings if i absolutely dont have to. I'd rather use glue anytime i can.

I just drove by you at the PO:waving:

Shipping some "tails.

WalkGood
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM

This slip fitting mentioned is all glue..... no o-rings, no compression fittings. Just glue.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=FIMCO-MEISTER;2346821]I just drove by you at the PO:waving:[/QUOTE

You Texans sure have a lot of fun.

k911lowe
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM

dirt always clogs pinhole leaks.which side of the valve is it on.

bcg
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
dirt always clogs pinhole leaks.which side of the valve is it on.

The main line side, of course. I'd never have noticed it if it was on the sprinkler side.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Rip it out, k911lowe shops at the wrong store.

k911lowe
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
if its a pinhole and you are using well water the dirt should clog it soon.

WalkGood
05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
if its a pinhole and you are using well water the dirt should clog it soon.

Or....... the whole fitting has a good chance of cracking open due to the flaw that made the pinhole in the fitting.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Or....... the whole fitting has a good chance of cracking open due to the flaw that made the pinhole in the fitting.

Water, the best abrasive in the world.

WalkGood
05-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Water, the best abrasive in the world.

Yep. Ever see a CNC machine use high pressure water to cut the holes in printed circuit boards? Dustless too.

Industrial and huge marine steam pipes are checked for pinhole leaks not with a hand....... not because the steam is hot but because the steam can slice off your hand/fingers in an instant.

EagleLandscape
05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I just drove by you at the PO:waving:

Shipping some "tails.

I was PISSED. I stood behind 3 overweight moronic women for 20 minutes while they tried to figure out how to mail items using the Automactic Postal Machine. To only find that when it was my turn, the machine was all out of booklets of stamps!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Oh!!!! was that you in your white f150 that pulled in when I was pulling out the wrong way! I saw you look at me, but couldnt tell who it was. Tinted windows?

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Oh!!!! was that you in your white f150 that pulled in when I was pulling out the wrong way! I saw you look at me, but couldnt tell who it was. Tinted windows?

You guys need strobe lights, cone markers & decorative graphics.

irrig8r
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
There was a product, never used it...like fiberglass tape that could be wrapped around
the leak, water-activated..sorry, can't remember where I saw it, some speciality supply
catalog that sold plumbing supplies.

Christy sold/ sells one. I used it, and it didn't work.

Followed the directions precisely. Ended up with one small pinhole leak where before there were five or six before, but a leak is still a leak.

It was a long time in the bag in the truck before I used it, but everything was in a sealed pouch so it should have been fine.

Pretty much a waste of time and money.

Mike Leary
05-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Pretty much a waste of time and money.

If it seems too good....I always wondered. Thanks Gregg.

Dirty Water
05-29-2008, 08:06 PM

Dawns Qwik fittings don't use any o-rings.

You glue each side and they do not move after being glued. Actually really cool concept. They will send you a sample one.

mowzum
05-29-2008, 08:12 PM
catalog that sold plumbing supplies.My irrigation supplier used to sell that stuff was a 50/50 chance haven't used it for about the last 5 years was only about $ 6-7 dollars per app. You can find it here http://www.plumbingsupply.com/repairkit.html

EagleLandscape
05-29-2008, 08:12 PM

got a whelen hide away strobe kit in my f250, got cones in the trailer, and im all lettered up:)

eagle irrigation
05-29-2008, 08:46 PM
hose clamp and a piece of rubber.

Waterit
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Another reason for truck-marking referred to in another thread - so we can identify each other:laugh:

hoskm01
05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
This glue works?

www.thisglueworks.com

Still have the sample, havent tested yet. Claims to be the schitt.

bobw
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I used my first KwikRepair fitting yesterday. I had a 2" T to deal with that had a glue failure. The fitting was tucked nicely between a sidewalk and a concrete drainage swale in a 1 foot gap. I was cursing a lot in my head trying to figure out how I was going to get a decent repair done when I remembered that a rep had handed me a 2" Kwikrepair T last season. Dug around the misc bin on my trailer and found it.

In all honesty, I was surprised how well the repair went. I did have the big mofo channel locks with me to help pull the collars and twist to get a good seal. I don't do many PVC repairs, but I'll probably buy another couple of those to have in the trailer should I need them again.

edited to add: Is it my imagination or has Dawn been on a good run lately? The Kwikrepair, the kwik tap saddles.the very good ORANGE swing elbows...

No Rush
05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
If you haven't seen how KwikRepairs are installed/work watch the video and read the brochure.

advanced irrigation
06-06-2008, 03:52 PM
anyone ever heard of pvc welding? using a hot iron and a pvc "welding rod". never seen one but i figured the only way it would work is if there is no water on the backside to cool it so it can heat all the way through. southern engineering at its best

advanced irrigation
06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.plasticsmag.com/welding.asp?fIssue=May/Jun-02&aid=3517