PDA

View Full Version : Bad Valve/ Soloniod (spelling)?

lawnstriper23
05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Alright, I am Joe Homeowner and I need some assistance with my irragation system. Earlier today I turned my irragation system on to check all the heads for operation. I went into the basement and turned the water on to the irragation system, went to the control box in the garage and set each zone for 4 minutes and when I turned the dial to run the first zone kicked on. After about 10 seconds all the air was out of the line and we were in business (so I thought). After the 4 minutes on zone one the system started to activate zone two, but zone one was still going strong and the heads on zone two would not pop up even though water was coming out of the heads. WTF? So I turned the system off at the control box, but zone one was still going strong. The only way to turn the system off was to turn off the valve in the basement that feeds to the irragation system.
So if you are still with me and I haven't confused you too much, do you think this is a bad valve/ solonoid (spelling)? I appreciate any input you guys can give me. Is this repair something Joe Homeowner can fix or should I call in the pros?

nylan8888
05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Yes, you are right on both points. It is a bad valve and bad spelling

GreatOutdoorsContracting
05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
valve could possibly be rebuilt if the body isn't cracked could also be debris in the valve causing it to stick open. What kinda valve is it?

Az Gardener
05-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Its always better to just replace the whole bonnet IMHO this way you replace all the moving parts. You just need to be able to line up the screws and gasket when you put the new one on. You will also need to make a new wire connection. It does not matter which wire you connect to which. If you screw it up you can still call in the pro's

advancedlawnsolutions
05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I have seen this happen many times w/ the DV. When you glued the outgoing side of the valve, you probably used too much glue. There is a small hole that goes from the solenoid to the outgoing side of the valve. That hole was probably clogged with extra glue causing it not to open. To fix the valve you can take the solenoid off and stick a paper clip in the hole to unjam the clogged hole.

Check out a thread titled Bad DV 100 valve

Keith
05-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Find the valve and make sure the manual bleed screw is not a little open. I run across this every now and then, especially on Irritrols.

DanaMac
05-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Just so you know - it is sol(e)noid, and irr(i)gation.

Either clogged ports, debris in valve, damaged diaphragm, stuck plunger in solenoid, solenoid or manual bleed left open.

AI Inc
05-30-2008, 05:53 AM
If it is a RB dv valve , try opening the bleeder and the solonoid at the same time. That will flush it. Works 80% of the time. Murphys law makes it not work when changing it will be a PITA.

lawnstriper23
05-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys and for the spelling lesson :laugh: Guess I never noticed the SPELL CHECK feature when making a post. I will keep you posted on this fix....

Mike Leary
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Guess I never noticed the SPELL CHECK feature when making a post.

You came very close to meeting the spelling nazi.

hoskm01
05-30-2008, 11:17 PM
You came very close to meeting the spelling nazi.
U've ben spuradick at best, lateley.

Mike Leary
05-31-2008, 09:56 AM
U've ben spuradick at best, lateley.

Getting a little more tolerant in my golden years. :waving:

lawnstriper23
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Well, haven't had a chance to check this out yet, plus the wife wants me to call in the irrigation company that blew out our system last Fall to have them look at it. WTF, couldn't be that difficult to fix this issue. She works late tomorrow so I will mess with it then :rolleyes: Oh BTW, the valve is a Hunter SRV. Any other input as to what I should look for?

DanaMac
06-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, haven't had a chance to check this out yet, plus the wife wants me to call in the irrigation company that blew out our system last Fall to have them look at it. WTF, couldn't be that difficult to fix this issue. She works late tomorrow so I will mess with it then :rolleyes: Oh BTW, the valve is a Hunter SRV. Any other input as to what I should look for?

Either a bad solenoid - Hunter SRVs in the early days had crappy solenoids that kept the valve open or didn't allow to open. They've since redesigned the solenoids.

OR - the contractor may have left the solenoids part way open when winterizing. Try hand tightening the solenoid at the valve. Twist clockwise until snug.