PDA

View Full Version : Do you check the interior plumbing prior to the job?

Ramairfreak98ss
05-30-2008, 12:28 AM
I mean prior to quotes and all.

We did a 20 head job this week that all went smoothly until the homeowner came home finally around 4pm which i expected.

The ONLY place we could position the valvebox was the back right side of the house, left/front/back all has patio/walkways, hardscaping and gardens.

The water comes into the very front left corner :(

I get all copper parts to run to other end of the house, then find out its PVC , shiat.

Not only that, but 85% of their basement is finished, has a lot of stuff down there, makes for pita work space.

Tonight, i go back again, with every pvc fitting possible, 3/4" , 1", couplers, Tees, elbows you name it.

Cut the existing pipe i swore was only 3/4" comming into the house, its not, its 1", but 1" EXTERIOR dia. Everything schedule 40 is measured by the interior flow opening :/

Now ive done electrical work, plumbing with pvc, copper you name it. Ive never yet seen this cpvc besides at a home depot.

So now that their water line is cut open, i run to the store, they have nothing 1" or larger... I found 1" coupler slip fittings i could use temporarily.

Install them, turn on water, blows off in 2 minutes :/ Do it again, same deal.

I put a 2nd one on, so now there are two of these pieces in line with a pipe thats 5" long in between, works for 4 minutes, bows out, blows off. Poor freking people, left em with no water for tonight.

This whole situation has turned into a huge mess because of something so simple, i need to get fittings and valve control to go from this 1" cpvc to normal pvc pipe so i can finally hook up the new irrigation system.

advancedlawnsolutions
05-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Holy crap! ! That's freaking crazy. I've had days where everything seemed to go wrong.
I do check my tie in point (house water supply) usually from the meter to see what size pipe I'm dealing with ahead of time. I run 1" sch 20 for the system. So I usually get an extend-a-coupling and bushings or whatever I need to make the tie-in. I've had to tie in to copper only once though and that was a big learning experience. But I don't know if I've ever seen 1" CPVC. I thought CPVC was for Hot water only?

DanaMac
05-30-2008, 05:19 AM
I have seen CPVC in a bunch of homes. Not very often though. On the few trailer homes, it had been CPVC. You might have been able to use a compression fitting for temp repair, but I'm not an expert on suing that pipe.

Yes I ALWAYS checked interior before giving a a bid. I've turned down installs due to home being 100% finished, and no way to plumb out without damaging drywall.

AI Inc
05-30-2008, 05:24 AM
CPVC is getting more popular as the price of copper goes up. One we did yesterday was new construction , tie in was done by the plumber who plumbed the house.Lucky for me he also did the PVB.
Always have to look beforehand, that can be the worst part of the job on some sites.

DanaMac
05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
CPVC is getting more popular as the price of copper goes up. One we did yesterday was new construction , tie in was done by the plumber who plumbed the house.Lucky for me he also did the PVB.
Always have to look beforehand, that can be the worst part of the job on some sites.

Look before you leap!!

Flow Control
05-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Number 1 rule of Irrigation Club:

Check and verify POC

Number 2 rule of Irrigation Club

Check and verify POC

Wet_Boots
05-30-2008, 07:26 AM
A good waterworks-quality compression fitting(s) could handle any POC - get them where you shop for fire hydrants.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-30-2008, 07:35 AM

Check and verify POC

Check and verify POC

DITTO.... Tie ins can be a huge variable. Gotta know just to bid it properly.

SprinklerGuy
05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
CPVC glue may or may not be different than the glue you are attempting to use....

I really have a hard time believing that a PRO would find himself in this situation...no offense intended, but those poor homeowners have been shortchanged....in 19 years of irrigation, I never left a house w/out water...ever.

Mike Leary
05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
One of my mentors once told me, "as goes the tie-in, goes the whole job."

WalkGood
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Sounds like the OP shouldn't have been doing the "tap" for the irrigation. Lack of license and/or lack of knowledge.

:hammerhead:

AI Inc
05-30-2008, 04:33 PM

So true, Ive had some that the tie in was more work then the rest of the system.

FIMCO-MEISTER
05-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure we've driven our point home yet.

hoskm01
05-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure we've driven our point home yet.
Was there a point?

I was going to mention that perhaps he should have checked the POC, before hacking away at it.

RedWingsDet
05-31-2008, 12:30 AM
I am no expert 10 year sprinkler guru (YET), but.... please tell me this question is/was a joke?

I thought this was common sense.

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Maybe he used slow-set glue. :)

Without A Drought
05-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Was there a point?

Yes, always check the POINT of connection.

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 06:33 AM
We need photos.

hoskm01
06-01-2008, 12:48 AM
We need photos.
Please. Photos. Soon.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Yes, always check the POINT of connection.

Ditto.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Ditto.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Check and verify POC

Check and verify POC

Ditto.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Ditto.......

Still think we need to work on driving:gmctruck: our point home.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes the CPVC is usually used for hot water apps. It also uses a specific yellow adhesive glue and not the standard primer/cement.

The compression coupler fittings that were used intially for a temporary repair would not hold the ~50+psi of pressure comming in. They would allow the pipe to move "vertically" and blow the fitting apart every time. It did not leak, yet the cpvc would allow the rubber ring fitting to slide, and enough to seperate from each other.

Spinkler, One day, we will be "PRO" too lol. This was our 6th install since late last year and due to lack of experience in different situations such as this, i find out things i should have checked on prior. We are well prepared, but not prepared enough for everything we may encounter. I have many spare pvc fittings that we may need as well as copper. Since i am not a plumber by trade nor have i ever even seen CPVC before, my assumption of it being "dirty "or discolored standard pvc would be what most people would come to as their conclusion.

Thanks for bashing me to no end for some simple crap too, were working on this womans house from 8pm-10:30pm because they work during the day and to gain access to the home, theyre home by 7pm or after, so if i am without a specific fitting, especially in this case, there are NO stores open anywhere besides a lowes or home depot, which dont have much in this department.

We have also never ran into a situation, until now, where the whole left/back side of the house was gardens and hardscaping. My judgement of choosing the right side of the house because the utilities and gas line that went in there was bad to start. It was a shock to find out the water was the only thing that came in at the far front left of the house :/

This was also the first that had a finished basement and it didnt help that it was finished on the side we needed to work above to run all the piping... So yes, it has taken us longer to do the tie in and setup of that portion than the entire irrigation system.

To make matters worse, although i did all of the pvc work, none of my other guys, somehow two "standard" pvc fittings leak/drip very slowly, right at the T ball valve comming in off the main line downstairs, and the 90 elbow going out of the exterior wall and up to the backflow preventer :/ Sucks for us this job has taken about as much of my time as the last 3 combined

Wet_Boots
06-01-2008, 09:59 PM
You picked a fight with Murphy, and got schooled. Despite anything you have ever observed in prior homes you have worked in. CPVC is what you will find when a rigid plastic pipe is used for home pressure plumbing. Ordinary PVC is not permitted. You are obligated to be prepared for the work you undertake.

As for adhesive glue only for CPVC, you might want to pass that golden nugget of info to the manufacturers of primers and cleaners and cements for CPVC pipe and fittings. I happen to make use of a cement that works for both PVC and CPVC. No biggie if you have the tools for the job. The proper 'waterworks' compression tee would have made the pipe material immaterial. Good luck finding them at Home Depot.

What if the basement had been entirely finished? Or the house built on a slab, with the water meter in a central closet? You will always check the plumbing out before you submit a bid on a job.

Mike Leary
06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
You picked a fight with Murphy, and got schooled. I happen to make use of a cement that works for both PVC and CPVC..

Well, whoopie do, thanks for the link. :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, woopie do, thanks for the link. :hammerhead:What CPVC do you have to glue anyway? T'ain't hard to find, but be warned that PVC practicioners generally can't stand the fumes.

Mike Leary
06-01-2008, 10:16 PM
What CPVC do you have to glue anyway? T'ain't hard to find, but be warned that PVC practitioners generally can't stand the fumes.

Brain damage is what we were after, chromosome damage is gravey.