PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on lightfair 08

Lite4
05-30-2008, 08:47 AM
So, I was talking to Tommy yesterday. He was at lightfair and I was wiring a fuseblock. (He was having more fun). I got a little bit of the skinny on some of the products and vendors down there. Anybody find anything new of or improved that they noticed? How was the turnout?

NightScenes
05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
It is a pretty good show with a lot to see. I spent two days looking around and could probably spend several more hours looking around.

James, I was surprised to see that the LEDs that you were showing (you weren't there when I came by) were not even on. How can someone see what these things can do if they won't even show them illuminated. I asked the guy who was there about this and he told me to buy some to see what they look like. How stupid is that?? This guy paid, I don't know how much to be in this show and then doesn't even really show is stuff. I sure won't pay to buy something that the owner won't even show at an event like Lightfair!! I my opinion it must be something that he doesn't want to show off.

There were some very interesting fixtures and LEDs from all of the usual suspects but I was surprised that Hadco and some other major manufacturers were not here. It's always nice to visit with Hiroshi of HK and he has some really cool stuff out at a very reasonable price.

More later, I'm off again,

irrig8r
05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Kumho? That's the brand name? Most search engine results I can find under that name are tires (or tyres).

NightScenes
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
That's what I thought too Gregg, I thought they made tires.

irrig8r
05-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Looked like the Kumho parent company also own an airline and a rental car business... and into construction, etc., but I didn't see anything about lighting.

Maybe a different Kumho?

Ahhh found something...

Basic Information
Company Name: Kumho Electric, INC.
Business Type: Manufacturer
Product/Service: LED
Number of Employees: Above 1000 People
Trade & Market
Main Markets: North America
South America
Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Eastern Asia
Southeast Asia
Mid East
Africa
Oceania
Total Annual Sales Volume: Above US$100 Million

Kumho Electric Inc. became a household name in Korea for its ubiquitous brand of 'Bongaepyo' lighting bulbs which were pioneered by us and expected to lead the future lighting industry of Korea and abroad in the new millennium.

Kumho Electric Inc. established as a hydro-measuring equipment manufacturer in 1935, began a large-scale production of electric lighting inventions focusing on incandescent lamps which obtained the first-governmental certification of Korean Industrial Standard (KS).

The successful pioneering and marketing of Kumho lighting products in Korean market have been underpinned by the company's strenuous efforts in the research and development to provide the top quality lamps satisfying the diverse range of needs of ever demanding customers.

Kumho Electric Inc. in recent years has undergone a successful restructuring which saw a diversification and improvement of their traditional products and advancing into such state-of-the-art products as CCFL which represents a key element of the worldwide TFT-LCD industry.

We sincerely hope that this homepage will serve our customers as an effective and useful window of communication between the customers and the company. Serving the customers to meet their demands has been our primary business goal for the last six decades of the company history and will continue to be so in the future.

Thank you for your keen interest in our products and visiting this website for further information on us.

The Lighting Geek
05-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I had a great time and had a chance to meet everyone who attended from here. It was definitely an LED show. Some of the landscape lighting manufacturers where there: Unique, Kitchler, Focus, SPJ, and a lot of knockoff companies. I noticed some missing as well: Cast, Hadco, Nightscaping to name a few. Mostly it was interior and municipal type lighting. The few LEDs MR16 I saw from Ushio, Kumho, and one more but I can't remember the name, were much better than I expected in color rendition, and were very good if you want a 20 BAB. I feel they lacked lumen output if you wanted a 35w FMW for example. I'm sure they are just around the corner. They are relatively new although James said the Kumho was already tested in some jobs in canada. The cost of one of these babies is still around 35-40 buckeroos. GE is about 2 years away from having an LED. Definitely the Kumho was cooler, I was able to see it operate.

irrig8r
05-31-2008, 02:51 PM
GE is about 2 years away from having an LED.

GE has LEDs out right now... just not an MR-16 equiv. I like the "plug and play" nature of their chips (no soldering necessary). Not sure if anyone is using them in outdoor fixtures yet, but the numbers look good.

http://www.lumination.com/product.php?id=56

Looks like very good possibilities for path and step lights at least.

The Lighting Geek
05-31-2008, 05:32 PM
GE has LEDs out right now... just not an MR-16 equiv.

I am referring specifically to MR16 for replacements. Also I don't see a future in fixtures built around LEDs, LED integrated fixtures. Replacements are going to drive the market once they are a little more refined.

msouthard
06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Just fyi, I talked to the USHIO sales manager and the MR 16 LED will cost north of $60 to the contractor. I am not sure what the MR 16 that James is promoting will cost.

It was good seeing and meeting many of you at the show....James is right this show is really geared toward the engineers and lighting designers focused mostly on commercial business with residential being a minority. That is why you never see Nighscaping at this show and probably why Cast did not attend. I was suprised as well as Paul that Hadco was not there.

Mike Southard
Kichler

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Mike, since you brought it up....

The MSRP on the Kumho Luxxo LED MR16 Lamp that I am behind is $55. I offer a significant NET discount off of that to any registered contractor, distributor or trade professional. I also can set up Lighting Manufacturers and OEMs with direct links to the parent company. (Maybe even Kichler would like a meeting?)

The new USHIO LED MR16 lamp does use the same Nichia LED "chips" that the Kumho does, however the Kumho product is available in more formats and optics. Also, the Kumho Luxxo Lamp is the only LED MR16 lamp on the market that can be powered with both magnetic and electronic transformers (The ET series). This makes it a remarkably versatile drop in replacement lamp.

Any more information about LED MR16s, PARs, or other lamp formats? Don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day.

msouthard
06-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks James, the price on the KUHMO is much less than the Ushio....could be worth us looking into. Please send info.

Mike Southard
Kichler

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I am really surprised that people who just do landscape lighting would incur the cost of going to Light fair. Maybe its just an excuse. Feeback i got about Light Fair was that it was so far behind the Hamburg show it was embarassing. I guess I'm going to Hamburg next year. I thought it was a good show though.

Met some great people, had some great food, not a fan of Vegas though, yuck! I did spend a few hours with the guys who designed most of the retail spot in Palazzo and some of the Wynn though. We had a bit to eat then toured the retail site evaluating the set ups. Talk about blowing my mind, wow...lots of thought behind every single fixture.

I, though, am not sure if this show is for people who mostly do landscape lighting especially if you are 90% residential. The bang for your buck would be at the irrigation show I think.

Can't wait to see the LED cobra heads I researched while I was there in action along my security concern areas.

Cool stuff.

JoeyD
06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Price is secondary on these lamps right now (LED). First I want to see an entire job done with them that looks good, and I want to see it last and hold up. As we have been saying for many years, LED's in the landscape are still a few years away. Although they are here and are being used, to find a comparable job done in LED is hard to come by.

I was impressed at the ammount of LED's at LightFair but was not surprised. I too would have liked to have seen the Kumho lamps lit, but I will wait for our order to come in for testing. I am really excited about the Ushio lamp, although availability is still up in the air. I think Rus told me July before I could get a few cases for testing.

The import knockofs were in full swing, one even claimed he made lights for us...LOL.....heard another knockoff that never has a booth at any show was cruising around passing out catalogs. I think next year we need to bring and display our patent plaques.

I too was surprised some of the other manufacturers was not in attendance? It was nice to see Mike S. of Kichler and I did get a chance to see Steve P. of CAST cruising around. Nice to finally meet you face to face Steve! Stan from Focus is always a gentleman and very nice to speak with.

Our new Dynasty Series of fixtures was recieved very well and we are really excited to be getting such rave responses from the specification market. Our new PVD finishes and lenses are really going to ensure the succes of the Dynasty line. I was a little bummed that are booth was as cookie cutter as it was, although it was confortable. I cant wait to see what our new booth looks like for next year in New York. Should be more eye catching and on par with the bigger lines in attendance.

IMHO the nicest lights on hand (besides ours) was the HK Line. Hiroshi ( I think thats how it is spelled) is such a nice man and his designs are still the cleanest around. Sleek and robust the HK fixtures are a show stopper!

I had a great time at dinner on thursday night with all the AOLP boys and girls. It was awesome having all of you who came by the booth sit and hang out with us. We really enjoyed all of your company. Even yours Billy!!!

msouthard
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Joey,

I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but very soon you will be seeing an entire Kichler LED job that was done by Kichler and one of our distributors in conjunction with a charity. I am sure everyone will be impressed. PR is going out now.:)

Doug, good to see you and glad to hear your enjoying your new career.......

Mike Southard
Kichler

JoeyD
06-02-2008, 12:54 PM
In all sincerity I really do look forward to seeing it Mike!! Keep up the great work!

NightScenes
06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I am planning a full LED project for a green sub division in my area. I will be lighting 1000 fountains along with a bunch of other things and it will all be done in LED. This should be pretty cool and green.

steveparrott
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Joey,

It was good to see you and Kyle at the show. Onward and upward!

NightScenes
06-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry I missed you Steve, it's been quite a while that we have been communicating and have never met face to face. Maybe some time down the road.

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I had a great time and had a chance to meet everyone who attended from here. It was definitely an LED show. Some of the landscape lighting manufacturers where there: Unique, Kitchler, Focus, SPJ, and a lot of knockoff companies. I noticed some missing as well: Cast, Hadco, Nightscaping to name a few. Mostly it was interior and municipal type lighting. The few LEDs MR16 I saw from Ushio, Kumho, and one more but I can't remember the name, were much better than I expected in color rendition, and were very good if you want a 20 BAB. I feel they lacked lumen output if you wanted a 35w FMW for example. I'm sure they are just around the corner. They are relatively new although James said the Kumho was already tested in some jobs in canada. The cost of one of these babies is still around 35-40 buckeroos. GE is about 2 years away from having an LED. Definitely the Kumho was cooler, I was able to see it operate.

The one thing I did like about the Ushio is that when dimmed it maintained its color and didnt get the warm orange halogens do. Outstanding. Not sure how other units perform like this but Ushio was pretty impressive. Yes the cost is still high. We were also pretty impressed by the lamina lamps. Very nice output as well and we will await more info on thoes and avalibility.I was also disapointed the Kumho was unlit. There were a ton of LED's there for a fraction of the price but most looked kinda cheesy when it came to color or output... one we looked at was HOT to the touch. That cant last long thats for sure.

Paul is right... HK had some neat looking stuff and you gotta admire how cool Mr Hiroshi is. Very nice guy. Uniques new finish is a love/hate but im sure some guys will love it. We still preffer the natural or antiques finishes.

Hard to say on the Kichler LED's with all the ambient light in there. They really should of shut off the main lighting in the convention center and allowed manufactures to light things up.

We made many new friends and some new contacts for materials and will definatly be kicking things up a notch in the imediate future.

We really admired some of the hand crafted lighting fixtures that were there as well

Thanks to all who were there and shared thier experiences with us.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Here's my sum up of Light fair...great place to meet with a bunch of people and situate alot of things in 2 days. I dealt with alot of warranty issue, custom make requests, etc...

Overall though when you have a few mfrs with people like this it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Doug "Hey can you make this to hold a CFL?"
Vendor "CFL?"
Doug "A compact fluoresent or even just a medium base socket so I can use my own screw-in CFL...I rather have it with a plug in though so when the lamp goes bad I dont have to dispose of the control gear"
Vendor "Well they are pretty compact already!"
Doug "See you later"

:hammerhead:

NightScenes
06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
At least you got a good laugh out of it Doug. I did notice that several of the people manning the booths didn't know what they were doing or didn't know about their products.

JoeyD
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Here's my sum up of Light fair...great place to meet with a bunch of people and situate alot of things in 2 days. I dealt with alot of warranty issue, custom make requests, etc...

Overall though when you have a few mfrs with people like this it leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Doug "Hey can you make this to hold a CFL?"
Vendor "CFL?"
Doug "A compact fluoresent or even just a medium base socket so I can use my own screw-in CFL...I rather have it with a plug in though so when the lamp goes bad I dont have to dispose of the control gear"
Vendor "Well they are pretty compact already!"
Doug "See you later"

:hammerhead:

LOL:laugh:

Doug: "Hey can you make this to hold a CFL?"
Unique: "Why the hell do you want to do that?"
Doug: "Because where I vacation errr...I mean work all we have is CFL's.."
Unique: Ahh...well NO, but I will come out to any Sandal resort to consult with you!!!!!!!! :drinkup:

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
its not all we use...we use incads alot heavily dimmed of course and very good halogens...CFLs only where we can without losing effect. We are evry attentive to efficience and efficant...thats not spelled right it is.

JoeyD
06-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Dont worry Doug, I am the last guy to point the finger at poor grammer and spelling!!!

Pro-Scapes
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Even to someone who has been in the industry only a few years I noticed many didnt know what they were talking about.

I was blown away by the poor quality of some booths and lack of product in some at such a high profile show. Others had very nice displays. Unique gets my vote for the most comfortable low voltage booth.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I was amused at how many booths employed the use of models and 'hotties' to meet, greet and hand out information. It was funny to see throngs of people surrounding some of these booths, clearly it is a way to attract attention. Not quite the "Peppermint Rhino" experience, but it did help to break up the day a bit. :)

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
They Were Great As Long As They Didnt Talk...lol...

The Girl In J And J Electronics Was Smokin!!!! And She Didnt Pretend To Know Lighting, She Just Smiled...lol

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-04-2008, 11:29 AM
They Were Great As Long As They Didnt Talk...lol...

The Girl In J And J Electronics Was Smokin!!!! And She Didnt Pretend To Know Lighting, She Just Smiled...lol

Wast that the small corner booth located near the back of the hall? (2700 or so) If so, "smokin!!!!" is the understatement of the month. Whoa.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
no J & J was right next to Nexxus...which was weird becaue J & J just steals all of Savi and Nexxus ideas and introduces a slightly less expensive model...

I have to say, the one girl at BQL kept me in their pathetic booth...sorry Joey...she had a few things you didn't...and I'm talkingt he blonde, but the brunett with the clear eyes and the accent...oh crap...

I do have to give myself the award for husband of the year after that trip though...i was in bed early every night, never gambled one cent, and never picked up one of those magazines or pimp cards...what a weird temptation filled place...

JoeyD
06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Dont apologize Doug. They need to have some hot looking chicks in their booth to disguise the reality of their products. Ooops did I say that? There goes that unprofessional Unique guy again! :nono::laugh:

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
you had good couches...which I really needed to use Thursday. I cant tell you how many miles i walked last week...I can run marathons but walking kills me...I never once took a cab except to go to Ghost Bar and to the airport

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I meant to say...I'm not talking the blonde but the brunette...sorry trying to do way too much this morning.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
The walking and standing nearly did me in too... Everything in Vegas looks like it is just a block away, then you find out that block is two miles long!

Belfer had a nice booth, as always.... great decor, music and a non-stop host bar! Not a light fixture, lamp or tech item in sight which is a refreshing change.

I had to laugh at the guy who had the 4 or 5 "Nascar themed cheerleaders" doing his promo handouts... His product line was nothing to write home about, but the booth was consistantly full of spectators.

Pro-Scapes
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I think that was the oracle booth james. He was also passing out adult beverages which kept his booth very active along with the hood ornaments he has bopping around in thoes racing suits

NightScenes
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes, the Oracle booth did have some pretty sweet eye candy and adult beverages but there was nothing there that I could use as far as lighting goes.;)

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Did they even have lights?

Yes Belfer was great for the coffee...it was decaf starbucks whihc hit the spot...

and the while outfits did the girls well...but coffee and while carpet and chairs, I was just nervous the whole time...