PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Design Help

Chris J
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
OK, here is some pictures of my yard that I was telling you about. As you can see, it is a blank slate and I really want to landscape it to the max. If any of you guys are willing to help out with some landscape design, I would appreciate it very much.
I don't know why the blue print at the bottom is coming out so small. I'll try to fix that and re post it.

Chris J
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
By the way, the small existing patio at the back door will soon be enlarged to cover the entire back of the house. It will be a 20' x 30' slab with a screen enclosure.

Mike M
05-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I think you need like a bird house on a pole, maybe some tomato plants. I'll start working on some sketches.

TXNSLighting
05-30-2008, 07:57 PM
well lets start with a pool, then add some palms on either side for a framing effect, wax myrtles, crape myrtles, and all that fun stuff then light the hell out of it! Done and done.

Chris J
06-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Although I'd like to have a pool right away, that is probably going to have to wait for a while. Right now, I want to create a plan that includes a pavered fire pit area, water feature with falls and possibly a gazeebo. The rest will be plants and trees for now. I'm thinking about an arbor to cover the patio insted of screen enclosure. There will also be a jacuzzi somewhere in this layout.

NightScenes
06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Save yourself a little trouble and include that jacuzzi and water feature in your future pool, that way you only do it once and it takes your pool to the next level.

Bill S
06-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I second that motion. Design should be based around pool/water feature(s)

Venturewest
06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
When you say water feature with a falls, do you want a pond at the bottom of the falls for fish, etc.? Or would your rather just have the effect of the falls?

I would do your complete site design revolving around the future pool, but still put in the elements you want to enjoy now if you feel the pool is too far off.

Tim is the man when it comes to water features and falls.

Here is the link to a pond, waterfalls and flagstone that I just completed. You might get a couple little ideas.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=228779

Chris J
06-01-2008, 07:46 PM
That water feature is awsome. I'd like to have something like this, just maybe not quite that large. A small version of it, perhaps, at the end of a nice stone or paver pathway. The pool is much too far off for me to wait. I'd rather create a plan now around a water feature of some sort, but the pool I'll eventually want is not in my budget at the moment and won't be for a couple of years.
I belive Tim offered to create a plan for me, but I'll have to wait too see who is willing to help a brotha out. I just need a layout that I can use as a guide so that I can do this step by step as time/money permits. Thanks again to everyone who is willing to help.
By the way, I think it's the effect of the falls and sound of the water that I am most interested in but I'm not ruling out the idea of a pond as well. I guess it just all depends on how it lays out in the overall design. I had a thought of a large boulder in the center of the patio area with water flowing from the top of it down into a pondless catch basin. I think something like that would be a nice conversation piece for the patio area, but I'm just thinking out loud right now. I really have no clue as this is not my area of expertise. I'm really hoping someone with a lot of experience with landscape design will give me a good plan. I'll return the favor somehow (with money if needed).

Lite4
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey Chris,
Been busy with installs and am just catching up on some entries. I will help you with the design, no problem. Is there a possibility of getting a plat of your house and property together. I will need an accurate measurement of something on it so I can scale it properly, (measurement of a wall length or something that I can transfer and scale into the CAD). Are you going to build the water feature yourself? I have built literally hundreds of these things and will tell you all the tricks and pitfalls to avoid when designing and installing these. They are a piece of cake though, you just need a strong back and a sharp, creative mind. (no weak minds here!)
PM me and let me know if you can email me a copy of your plan in a BMP or JPEG? I will call you and discuss some of your immediate and long term needs with your family so you can maximize the space accordingly in your design. Hey, I am working on another box of Kings for you. I have about 3/4 of a box so far. Should have that full pretty soon.

Chris J
06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey Chris,
Been busy with installs and am just catching up on some entries. I will help you with the design, no problem. Is there a possibility of getting a plat of your house and property together. I will need an accurate measurement of something on it so I can scale it properly, (measurement of a wall length or something that I can transfer and scale into the CAD). Are you going to build the water feature yourself? I have built literally hundreds of these things and will tell you all the tricks and pitfalls to avoid when designing and installing these. They are a piece of cake though, you just need a strong back and a sharp, creative mind. (no weak minds here!)
PM me and let me know if you can email me a copy of your plan in a BMP or JPEG? I will call you and discuss some of your immediate and long term needs with your family so you can maximize the space accordingly in your design. Hey, I am working on another box of Kings for you. I have about 3/4 of a box so far. Should have that full pretty soon.

Bring on the connectors Tim! And thanks for your assistance. There is a picture of the print at the bottom of the pictures posted above. I don't know if you can download it and make it bigger, but if not I'll try to scan it and send it via email. I'm planning on doing a lot of the work myself, but I will probably hire someone for the water feature in order to have it done right. I may take it on myself, but you'll have to convince me. I'm not scared of hard work, I just want it to be right and I usually leave it to a professional who knows what he's doing. You coming to Florida anytime soon?

Venturewest
06-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Chris, Wouldn't that be an awesome canvas to light up? I home to at least set up a demo sometime this summer.

Sounds like Tim has this one. I can't wait to see the design.

Chris J
06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Master Tim now has the plans and he is "at work" as we speak (when he finds the time to work on it). I can't wait to see the plans, and I also can't wait to share the final project with all of you! With Tim's expertise, this should be one hell of a nice yard to come home to. Thank you for your help Tim! You are the MAN!

Lite4
06-03-2008, 10:46 PM
My pleasure Brother. I will be pondering some different scenarios for the yard. My best inspiration seems to always come around 3-4 in the morning. Go figuire.

Mike M
06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Tim,

When I'm done with the tomato plant conceptual sketch, maybe you can merge it in. If Beefsteak is too much for a specimen plant, I could tone it down with maybe a Big Boy, or one of those oblong Italian tomatoes.

btw, how big should a circle be to rep a 3 gallon plant?

Chris J
06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Tim,

When I'm done with the tomato plant conceptual sketch, maybe you can merge it in. If Beefsteak is too much for a specimen plant, I could tone it down with maybe a Big Boy, or one of those oblong Italian tomatoes.

btw, how big should a circle be to rep a 3 gallon plant?

Bring it on Mike! I love tomatos, and I think I'll actually have a small garden hidden somewhere at some point. When you come to visit me, I'm gonna feed you tomato and mayonaise sandwiches. :)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Bring it on Mike! I love tomatos, and I think I'll actually have a small garden hidden somewhere at some point. When you come to visit me, I'm gonna feed you tomato and mayonaise sandwiches. :)

Watch out for those Tomatos guys.... while lying on the couch for the last 48 hours getting my ankle to heal I saw on CNN that there is a big issue with Salmonella in Tomatoes throughout the Central South and South West!

Now, if you were to get some local field tomatos, toast the bread, slather on the mayo and add a few strips of bacon, salt & pepper.... MMMMmmmmmm:)

Mike M
06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Hey, Chris;

Let Tim know about the translucent perenial tropicals, which look awesome illuminated, but die back each year. You could have two different scenes for seasons. Anyone doing your designs needs to know the plants which are or are not not deciduous, too. You can have something emerging/flowering/changing through each season, plus your steady reliable evergreen shrubs/trees/ground cover.

Why not make a list of plants you know go great with lighting and the specific info which goes with each, such as crepe's in the winter not headed back, and a breakdown of favorite tropicals, etc. Just keep it basic but informative based on what you run into in your growing region.

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey, Chris;

Let Tim know about the translucent perenial tropicals, which look awesome illuminated, but die back each year.

Sounds almost like the freakin bananna trees here everyone wants me to light up.

Chris J
06-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm not into yard maintenance, so I'm going to be more interested in things that don't need to be replanted each season. I'll be looking for more evergreens and hardy plants that thrive throughout the year.

Mike M
06-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Chris, the perennial trop's I refer to (like the bananas, and a bunch of cool stuff) come back every year.

As for the annual plants, I'll drive down to put in the tomatoes once a year. You kill a cow and we'll have burgers in the summer.

Hey seriously, get a raised bed for veggies. I am planning one with drip irrigation so I don't have to water it by hand (yeah, I'm lazy, too).

Lite4
06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Chris,
Do you want me to tuck in a veg area somewhere, or would you prefer to just buy your veggies at the store? I am playing with a couple of cool ideas for your patio area. Your yard is pretty flat but I am going to give you some elevation changes to break up spaces a bit. I will keep you posted.

Chris J
06-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Chris,
Do you want me to tuck in a veg area somewhere, or would you prefer to just buy your veggies at the store? I am playing with a couple of cool ideas for your patio area. Your yard is pretty flat but I am going to give you some elevation changes to break up spaces a bit. I will keep you posted.

Don't worry about the garden right now Tim. I'll worry about that later. The elevation changes sound great because the yard is flat as a pancake. I'm looking forward to seeing your plans.

Chris J
06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Tim, got any plans yet? Not trying to be pushy cause I really appreciate the help, just getting excited to start on it. I'm really getting sick of looking at this yard. My last home had a bit more going on, so this new home w/ no landscape is kind of killing my spirit. I don't even feel like going outside at night cause there isn't even any lighting yet.
Anyway, whenever you have something let me know. I'm anxiously awaiting.

Thanks again,

Lite4
06-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Sorry Chris,
Got in late, I am trying to finish up a rewiring project tomorrow night so I can go golfing on Friday. I will have a rough hardscape plan outlined for you by the first of the week. I will email it to you on Monday for your review. I can make some changes from there.

Chris J
06-12-2008, 01:31 AM
No rush Tim. I was just checking in. I know you have a lot going on, so just fit it in when you can. For what it's worth, I'd rather wait until you've finished the entire thing than get it in parts. I plan on hanging the plan on my wall and go at it one step at a time.
But whatever works for you is fine with me!

Lite4
06-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Well I will usually have you review after hardscape to ensure the bones and placements are where we want them for space utilization. Flushing out with plants is premature until that is established and you like the direction of the plan.

Chris J
06-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Cool with me!

Lite4
06-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Chris,
Here is a sample of what you can expect. This is a very simple drawing.

Chris J
06-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Very cool! I'll be more patient.

JoeyD
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Chris do you know what this would cost you normally? Tim should be your hero for many years to come!! I forsee some seruious favorite beer buying from Chris to Tim!

I say when this is all done Chris we all fly out to Jacksonville for a fight night BBQ at you rnew pimpin pad!!!!! What do you say?

Chris J
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Sounds good to me! And believe me, I am forever in Tim's debt for doing this for me. I could have gotten someone local to do it for a trade, but I didn't know anyone I trusted or who had the qualifications. Having seen some of Tim's work on here, I was confident that he was the man to help me out. As I mentioned, I want this place to be the BOMB! My house is priced in the middle range of the neighborhood right now. When I'm done with this and ready to sell, I expect this place to be among the highest valued homes in here simply based on aesthetics. It might take me a while to do everything I want to do, but when I'm done it will be exceptional to say the least.
You guys don't have to wait till it's done though! Come on down and let's have a BBQ!!!!

Chris J
06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
I had a meeting with a distributor yesterday that also carried the Aqua Scape water feature line. I'm thinking about adding this service to my business, but still don't know much about it. Any suggestions on manus? I'm also considering taking on the project for my own home. I believe if I do this, I'll save some serious bucks and learn a little about it in the process. Doing it myself, I'm thinking HUGE water feature due to the savings on labor by using my guys.
On another note, I ran into a guy today that had a great deal on trees. Apparantly he over-ordered for a big job and the nursury won't take it back. He had Washingtonian, Canary and Queen palms all around 8' tall. $100 each. Does that sound like a good price? I thought it was very reasonable so I jumped in and bought 10 of them. I need to install them soon, so I'm hoping that Tim will have a break in his schedule so he can finish up the design. I'm really looking forward to this project. It's going to be sooo nice to have a sweet yard again!

Lite4
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Chris,
I'll try to get the rough layout done tonight and emailed to you.

Chris J
06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
No problem Tim. I know your busy, so take your time. Whenever you can get to it is fine, but I am anxious to get started.

Thanks again!

Chris J
06-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Well Tim, I guess it wasn't tonight. I've been sitting here and it's now 1:15 AM. No worries. I've got patience. Nighty Night.

Venturewest
06-25-2008, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=Chris J;2389160]I had a meeting with a distributor yesterday that also carried the Aqua Scape water feature line. I'm thinking about adding this service to my business, but still don't know much about it. Any suggestions on manus? I'm also considering taking on the project for my own home. I believe if I do this, I'll save some serious bucks and learn a little about it in the process. Doing it myself, I'm thinking HUGE water feature due to the savings on labor by using my guys.
QUOTE]

Hey Chris, Aquascape is really good with their sales support. They are also definitely higher priced than other manus with products that are equal or better quality. The water feature industry is a lot like lighting in that you will find products you prefer from every manu. I really like Savio products so far. If you are thinking about adding this service, go to http://howgoodcanyouget.com
That is Savio's contractor website. There is a list of pond free waterfall builds around the country. My skill went to a whole new level when I attended these. On your own dissappearing waterfall, you can make your own "vault" that your pump is accessible in down in your hidden catch basin. Tim has posted some showing the details. I bet he will be responding.

Water features are also like lighting in the respect that there are not that many people building really nice ones. There are a lot of really, really crappy ones out there.