PDA

View Full Version : easy fuse job, not

mudter
05-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Looking for some help in trouble shooting a service call for a blown 1.5 fuse, the lady has already opened the controller (esp-8) but it did not look that disturbed. I replaced the fuse set the clock and manually start zone 1, zone 1 starts. I manually start zone two, it starts without an issue. I manually start zone 3 and zone 1 starts then the fuse pops. Replace fuse and start over, I make it to zone 5 and zone 2 starts just before the fuse pops again. I want to eliminate the issue so I disconnect the common and zone 1; I connect my 24 and get an open green light but no water. I try zone two, green light no water. I try all 7 zones and no water. Puzzled I looked at the controller again and there was not a wire for a mv. I connect the controller again and go back to the same process new fuse, zone 1 starts, blah, blah, fuse pops. Even more puzzled until I notice a stripped wire in the multi strand when three others are not striped. I connect the 24 to the open line and the common and get an open red light. This starts to eliminate a mv, correct? So why would the valves not open when the 24 was giving me a green light and the zones would open by the controller with out a mv connected? The clock output test was good on all 7 zones. Could there be a short in the multi strand and if so should it not show up as a short red light on the 24??????

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Resistance measurements?

Mike Leary
05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Resistance measurements?

Ditto, OHM it out first, you get too deep into head scratching otherwise.

AI Inc
06-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Do you know if system has a master valve? If not connect common to 1 of the 24 v. Touch other wires to other 24 v 1 at a time. If zones dont come up its a wire / solonoid issue. If they come up its a clock issue. If it has an MV connect that to 24v that you are touching wires to first.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Looking for some help in trouble shooting a service call for a blown 1.5 fuse, the lady has already opened the controller (esp-8) but it did not look that disturbed. I replaced the fuse set the clock and manually start zone 1, zone 1 starts. I manually start zone two, it starts without an issue. I manually start zone 3 and zone 1 starts then the fuse pops. Replace fuse and start over, I make it to zone 5 and zone 2 starts just before the fuse pops again. I want to eliminate the issue so I disconnect the common and zone 1; I connect my 24 and get an open green light but no water. I try zone two, green light no water. I try all 7 zones and no water. Puzzled I looked at the controller again and there was not a wire for a mv. I connect the controller again and go back to the same process new fuse, zone 1 starts, blah, blah, fuse pops. Even more puzzled until I notice a stripped wire in the multi strand when three others are not striped. I connect the 24 to the open line and the common and get an open red light. This starts to eliminate a mv, correct? So why would the valves not open when the 24 was giving me a green light and the zones would open by the controller with out a mv connected? The clock output test was good on all 7 zones. Could there be a short in the multi strand and if so should it not show up as a short red light on the 24??????

Did this post give anybody tired head beside me?

Mike Leary
06-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Ditto, the guy was in so deep that even four-wheel drive & mud chains would have helped. All of us should have a critical path method of troubleshooting.

mudter
06-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Resistance measurements?

was not in the service truck, so I did not have multi meter with me. that is the first thing on list monday morning

mudter
06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Do you know if system has a master valve? If not connect common to 1 of the 24 v. Touch other wires to other 24 v 1 at a time. If zones dont come up its a wire / solonoid issue. If they come up its a clock issue. If it has an MV connect that to 24v that you are touching wires to first.

Don't know if there is a master valve. I did try to activate each one of the valves with the 24 and got a green light but not water. This would lead me to believe that there is a master valve but there is no mv wire connected at the controller.

mudter
06-01-2008, 01:34 PM

sorry for the long tread, just trying to explain path of trouble shooting that I did. next time I will try to be like some of the other donkies with their short questions like...... "How much per zone?"

Wet_Boots
06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
(it still helps to edit for clarity - break up into an extra paragraph or two. A bit of extra work, to make up for the readers not being able to hear one describe the problem in spoken words)

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
(it still helps to edit for clarity - break up into an extra paragraph or two. A bit of extra work, to make up for the readers not being able to hear one describe the problem in spoken words)

Ditto... had nothing to do with thread length but clarity. I don't need to know you were puzzled.

Mike Leary
06-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Ditto, the guy was in so deep that even four-wheel drive & mud chains would not have helped.

When you check the clock, make sure that it's not on the same circuit as
a garage door opener, freezer, etc. Those RB clocks are very "sensitive"
to surges. Good luck, let us know. :)

mudter
06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Ditto... had nothing to do with thread length but clarity. I don't need to know you were puzzled.

clarity is not my strong suit with large amounts of budweiser in me. :laugh:

Mike Leary
06-01-2008, 03:17 PM
clarity is not my strong suit with large amounts of budweiser in me. :laugh:

Keep the bud away from the keyboard! Spilling causes irreversible monetary damage. :drinkup:

AI Inc
06-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Don't know if there is a master valve. I did try to activate each one of the valves with the 24 and got a green light but not water. This would lead me to believe that there is a master valve but there is no mv wire connected at the controller.

was there a wire connected to the MV/P tap?

WalkGood
06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Rain sensor? Either connected in the controller or connected only at the valve box interrupting the commons (I hate this).

AI Inc
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Rain sensor? Either connected in the controller or connected only at the valve box interrupting the commons (I hate this).

That is a pita , contractors that do that should be shot!

AI Inc
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Dont wire em together at the clock, the purpose is to bypass the clock altogther. If there is an MV it should be within a couple of ft of your POC. Backflow if there is one.

txgrassguy
06-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I have had a boat load of multi-strand shorts lately.
Getting to the point of running the 16 awg all the way to the modules and avoid yet another connection issue.
The one tool that is with me always is a good multi-meter. I'd say it's gotten humorous but even my secretary reminds me each morning "Do you have your multi-meter today?"'.

Mike Leary
06-02-2008, 08:29 PM
"Do you have your multi "'.

My wife asks me that question every evening.