PDA

View Full Version : It's ALWAYS the sprinkler guy's fault

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 06:30 AM
To set a little background, some of you may remember my thread from last year of a flooded basement. Tech left the job he started up, flooded basement later that day. Turned out to not be due to us, but a manifold glue joint came apart later. Not installed by us, Looked to have no or limited glue inside. All agreed it wasn't our fault.

Got a call Thursday night from the guy that just had his manifold rebuilt by one of my guys, and I had posted about the difference in time to rebuild it compared to an easy one I had done the same day. Well the guy had water in his basement. So I go check it out myself.

Checked out all the manifold, dry. Check out all zones, no problem. Look over to hose spigot and asked the guy if anybody would have left it on. Nope, but the painters were cleaning their brushes yesterday using the sprayer on the end. OK, so I believe him. Check through zones again, nothing. Then it hits me!!! I turned on the spigot to the sprayer on the end of the hose. Water fills up, and BINGO!!! I hear water running in the wall. He froze the hose spigot within the wall. Probably left a hose hooked to it and it never drained. So when the handle was turned on to the sprayer, it was leaking in the wall and down to the basement. I cut out the siding (it obviously had been replaced before) pulled out the wet insulation. Turned it on and showed him the leak. Stood up with arms raised high and shouted "Not the Sprinkler Guys Fault" in a victory chant!! :clapping:

AI Inc
05-31-2008, 06:33 AM
And how long of unbillable time did you have to spend there instead of elsewhere ?
Ah screw it , bill him anyways.

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 06:36 AM
I'd (almost) want to not charge for a service call in exchange for the Victory Chant.

AI Inc
05-31-2008, 06:37 AM
I'd (almost) want to not charge for a service call in exchange for the Victory Chant.

ego dosnt buy food.

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 06:41 AM

Yeah, me too. I was there about 50 minutes. Not charging him, but he owes us about 500-600 for the rebuild :) And I get work every year from him. No biggie. Yesterday was my run-around-and-not-be-profitable-day. Taking care of little tings that really aren't my problem - quick adjust of outdoor controller because they can't figure why grass is now drying out, one where I told her to get plumber to replace PRV before the meter, drop off paychecks, stop buy Ewing.

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Sell the homeowner one of those fancy Woodford wall hydrants he can leave the hose connected to all winter.

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 06:43 AM
Sell the homeowner one of those fancy Woodford wall hydrants he can leave the hose connected to all winter.

It is a Woodford. It is one that is either 12" or 16", and is supposed to drain out. But he probably left the hose on it and it never drained.

Oh and I ain't replacin' it!!!

AI Inc
05-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah, me too. I was there about 50 minutes. Not charging him, but he owes us about 500-600 for the rebuild :) And I get work every year from him. No biggie. Yesterday was my run-around-and-not-be-profitable-day. Taking care of little tings that really aren't my problem - quick adjust of outdoor controller because they can't figure why grass is now drying out, one where I told her to get plumber to replace PRV before the meter, drop off paychecks, stop buy Ewing.

Where do you drop off paychecks? Ya didnt stop by my house.

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Where do you drop off paychecks? Ya didnt stop by my house.

I left it at the shop for ya. you didn't get it? One of the other guys must have taken it. I'll talk with them about that.

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 06:51 AM
It is a Woodford. It is one that is either 12" or 16", and is supposed to drain out. But he probably left the hose on it and it never drained.

Oh and I ain't replacin' it!!!Woodford makes a few models where the hose doesn't need to be removed, but you can still defeat them by having a trigger sprayer on the hose, and leaving the water on.

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 06:55 AM
I believe this is what he has

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/model-19.htm

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 07:06 AM
They also have a model where they use a double check instead of the vacuum breaker.

SprinklerGuy
05-31-2008, 08:29 AM
I always remember heading to these jobs.....in the front of my mind sure that I or my employee is right and the customer is nuts....in the back of my mind hoping that the customer isn't right and my employee is a POS......the victory chant was always well worth the time spent....and picking up a check on the spot was always nice....

Good for you Dana....

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey Boots, this house is also one that has the Safe-T Lawn heads. Older system. AVBs instead of PVBs, lots of tree roots, replaced controller two years ago. I think he had an Imperial.

Thanks Tony

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I just looked at an old Safe-T-Lawn system that the homeowner wanted some distance-reduction adjustments on, and I had to inform him that STL don't work that way.

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 09:01 AM
This house also has very high pressure to the system. The 205s spray a tiny bit of water when they shut off. I turned down the PRV a bit while there and he then says the heads aren't spraying as far. So I turned it back up. I think I will slowly turn it down over the next couple years. The heads spray fine with the lower pressure.

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
I never saw 205s do that 'shut-off squirt' - but I never used them with much more than 100 psi. I'd have a PRV in place with more than, say, 110 psi.

DanaMac
05-31-2008, 09:32 AM
I never saw 205s do that 'shut-off squirt' - but I never used them with much more than 100 psi. I'd have a PRV in place with more than, say, 110 psi.

This is somewhere around 100 psi. Does the squirt from between the bonnet and body

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 09:37 AM
I can see that on Silver Bullet valves, and they don't need to have 100 psi, either.

irrig8r
05-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Irritrol/ Hardie 700 series always seem to do that...

Wet_Boots
05-31-2008, 10:23 AM
The 700 series are also made of "glass-filled nylon" which has more flex than PVC or ABS.

Mike Leary
05-31-2008, 03:19 PM
I can see that on Silver Bullet valves, and they don't need to have 100 psi, either.

I've seen it too, those little dears slam shut right now with pressures above 80
& will spit. Still, a great valve, use the 21000 if the pressure is up there.

Tom Tom
06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

DanaMac
06-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn! Sorry I didn't call you back about golf. just kind of forgot with the million other things going on.

Tom Tom
06-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Damn! Sorry I didn't call you back about golf. just kind of forgot with the million other things going on.

No problemo, figured you were busy. 18 holes at cherokee ridge, sad day for the handicap.........if I had one.

Might try pine creek next week- I need a good arse kicking.