PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes in gas tanks now

nosparkplugs
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
It must be getting bad now, national trend thieves are now drilling holes in gas tanks to drain you dry. The higher the vehicle the faster it's done, was on CNN today. Its "catching On" CNN said, the media needs to be muzzled giving out these Ideas to folks

G.M.Landscaping
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM
I seen that also. It's as bad as stealing the catalytic converters

DeereHauler
06-01-2008, 12:01 AM
It must be getting bad now, national trend thieves are now drilling holes in gas tanks to drain you dry. The higher the vehicle the faster it's done, was on CNN today. Its "catching On" CNN said, the media needs to be muzzled giving out these Ideas to folks

haha, next they will be discussing what are the best tools, and equipment used to perform this theft.....stupid media.

the catalytic converter theft has hit the scranton/wilkes barre area hard. they stole dozens of them in a week or 2.

Dunn's
06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
If you guys haven't noticed some hardware store are starting to put syphon pumps on the front page of their ads. Peices of s#!t. They figure they will make money of anything they can. One week it even had a pair of blot cutters right next to it on the page.

jim163
06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
If I ever caught someone drilling a hole in my tank it would be a very sh!tty day for him.

CrewKut
06-05-2008, 01:46 AM
If you see it happening, Just throw matches at them. Draining gas that way has got to be very messy. :laugh:

Dan

nosparkplugs
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
If you see it happening, Just throw matches at them. Draining gas that way has got to be very messy. :laugh:

Dan

sadistic, but effective; would that be murder

CrewKut
06-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Actually, with the price of gas, I think that the theft of gas could be considered suicide. :)

Dan

scholzee
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Most gasoline powered cars and trucks from the about 1996 and up you cannot siphon gas from the filler tube. There is a check ball which if the vehicle rolls over seals gas from leaking out the filler tube. This same ball prevents a siphon tube from going down the filler tube, so don't buy a locking gas cap either you do not need it. That is why they are drilling holes in the tanks because they cannot siphon like the old days.

bill8379
06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
haha, next they will be discussing what are the best tools, and equipment used to perform this theft.....stupid media.

At one store where I buy my locks and chains they have bolt cutters right next to them:laugh:

hosejockey2002
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
In my full time job (fire dept.) I've been to a number of incidents caused by theives drilling gas tanks. They're not the brightest bulbs on the tree, one rocket surgeon drilled a hole in a van's gas tank and then realized that his bucket to drain the gas into wouldn't fit underneath. 20 gallons on the ground. Eventually one of these bozos will get a nasty surprise when a spark from his drill motor ignites the gas as it starts to drain from the tank.

GravelyNut
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Shoot, they're even stealing veggy oil/fats from eateries.

kdkg
06-07-2008, 01:35 AM
At one store where I buy my locks and chains they have bolt cutters right next to them:laugh:

I bought locking caps for all my vehicles the other night. The siphon hoses were on the same shelf, right next to the gas caps.

fixer67
06-07-2008, 02:51 AM
sadistic, but effective; would that be murder

No. I would call it suicide

Chilehead
06-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Dan

That's just my style!! I am totally into the "let's-make-a-homemade-bomb" sort of thing when it comes to revenge. I am so TOTALLY a pyromaniac!!!:blob2::blob2:

caterpillarcat
06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
this stealing of fuel has gotten out of line and drilling holes and cutting seems pretty dangerous in my book. all it would take is a spark or something to light the place up. but then again if that did happen to one of these thiefs i can't say i would feel to bad for them.

Lawn-Sharks
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
My truck has 2 tanks and the other morning i went to the truck and to my suprise i found the front tank was missing the cap and half the fuel that was in it! I know times are hard but come on, people in my neighborhood know this is my business and that im not a large company that take hits like this.

Varsity L&G
06-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I stopped the other night at the store we get all our fuel. There were firetrucks and the gas pumper truck was there.

The lady in the store told me while he was filling the underground tanks, one of the neon's flickered and ignited the fumes.

She said it was a huge fireball that went out as fast as it ignited but she still had to call the fire department.

What a sight that must have been. I would have crapped my pants.

The had thrown the breaker on the offending neon and the next morning the repair guys started working on it.

TheKingOfLawns
06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
What the hell do they do with a stolen, used catalitic convertor????

k911lowe
06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
got dogs?cheapest protection you can get.

CrewKut
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
The converters contain platinum and the thieves get quick cash for them at recycling centers. I've heard $40 - $100 each, I don't know if those numbers are correct though.

Dan

JohnnyRoyale
06-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Around here they're pulling into gas stations with tankers, and stealing the fuel from the underground storage tanks.

fool32696
07-06-2008, 04:46 AM
I got a locking fuel cap. Not sure if it will help with thieves, but it will keep DOT from dipping my tank while parked somewhere if I'm not around.

punt66
07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
this stealing of fuel has gotten out of line and drilling holes and cutting seems pretty dangerous in my book. all it would take is a spark or something to light the place up. but then again if that did happen to one of these thiefs i can't say i would feel to bad for them.

Most all tanks now are plastic.

topsites
07-13-2008, 01:17 AM
That is so stupid, some folks must watch too much Cheech and Chong.

kobelcosk35
07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
i was talking with a truck driver the other day who drives for a fuel company and now a days the full tanker has more value then a loaded brinks there for there taking massive safety procedure's and are thinking of putting two drivers in the truck for a trip.....

LHSlawnman86
07-20-2008, 01:53 AM
The converters contain platinum and the thieves get quick cash for them at recycling centers. I've heard $40 - $100 each, I don't know if those numbers are correct though.

Dan

For a converter from a large American car you can get up to $125 a piece here in Cincinnati.

Mike

fixer67
07-20-2008, 03:31 AM
i was talking with a truck driver the other day who drives for a fuel company and now a days the full tanker has more value then a loaded brinks there for there taking massive safety procedure's and are thinking of putting two drivers in the truck for a trip.....

And they will be a day coming that they will be armed. I see a day when machine guns will be mounted on fuel tankers. They will be just like armed cars driving up to the bank.

Bull
07-20-2008, 11:18 AM
A buddy of mine just had the converter stolen off of his Toyota pickup this week while at work and during the daytime. It probably doesn't take long using a Dewalt reciprocating saw. These crooks stealing gas, converters, equipment and the such need to get Shawn to start them up a website like LawnSite. I can see the categories now: Close calls at getting caught, Best tools of the trade, Equipment I've stolen, Equipment for sale and yes they could even have a thread for Calendar Girls.

zz4guy
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Seems like that would take a while to steal a converter plus make a ton of noise. They should just save some time and steal the whole darn truck.

44DCNF
07-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Most all tanks now are plastic.

It's the sparks of the drill motor that would be there demise. They may be using push drills or brace and bit to get around that.

ovalracer44
07-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Im in the car crushing business part time. I buy cars and trucks for anywhere from 125 to 150 each. The catalytic converters are worth on minimum for domestics 80 dollars. Some foreign get up over 300 each.

i can almost half pay for a car with the amount of gas I pump out of them.

punt66
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
It's the sparks of the drill motor that would be there demise. They may be using push drills or brace and bit to get around that.

good point. cordless drills i believe dont make sparks though. And i doubt they are asking to plug into an outlet. But your right, push drill best for that.

punt66
07-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Seems like that would take a while to steal a converter plus make a ton of noise. They should just save some time and steal the whole darn truck.

they are probably using a chain cutter, ctes in a few seconds with no noise.

LawnMan883
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
The drills do spark. The brushes in the electric motor will. My brother works in a facility where they crash-test cars and apperantly just started working in the area where they drain out the fluids and a coworker told him it would be faster to just drill the tank rather then siphoning it so he did and the drill ignited and his hands got it pretty bad. It also caught the 55 gal drum he was draining into. The fluid they fill the tank with during the test is not quite as flammable as gasoline, but apperantly it still burns...