PDA

View Full Version : 4 cylinder truck for pulling trailer???

S man
06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm looking at getting truck and found a immaculate condition 03 toyota tacoma 4 door with a 4 cylinder engine. Would I be able to pull a open trailer with about 1200 lbs of equipment on it(exmark lazer 46 and push mower)? Also the trailer is a 5X12. If it is too much would a smaller trailer for just the mower and put everything in the pickup work better? Advice is needed. Thanks!

BCSteel
06-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I think it should be fine. I used a little '94 nissan 4 cyl pickup for several years to tow around a walker and JD 21" push mower in a 5x10 tandem axle trailer. No problems for me.

S man
06-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Like I said this truck is awsome and is priced right!

S man
06-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Anyone else have advice on this?

tras
06-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Dont waste your money, get a real truck imo.

CFB
06-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Dont waste your money, get a real truck imo.

with gas prices the way the are? i think it'd be wasting money out the ears to get a full size.

Yater
06-01-2008, 01:09 AM
I pull a 5x10 single axle with a quick 36, 21", handhelds, etc on it with a v6 nissan frontier. The truck pulls it ok but strains more than I'd like. The mileage with the trailer is awful (under 15mpg) even with a v6. I'd get better mileage with an american v8 (although I'd hate to buy one). I'm considering an f150, dodge 1500, or chevy 1500 for my next truck. In short, I would not buy a 4 cylinder truck with towing in mind. You'd beat the crap out of that tranny if nothing else. Also, the difference in mileage would be negligible while towing.

tras
06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
with gas prices the way the are? i think it'd be wasting money out the ears to get a full size.

Just like the above post said...

Why buy a truck that is too small to pull the trailer? A 4 cyl. working its ass off to pull a trailer will do worse than a small V8 that cant even feel the trailer behind it. No, he doesnt need some big 3/4 ton truck but a decent 1/2 ton with a small V8 would be his best bet.

S man
06-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Okay. Thanks for the advice.

JDUtah
06-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Getting rid of the 1/2 ton... Too small. What happens when your customers start wanting mulch jobs, etc? The F150 is too small for us already. 1 ton here we come. I'm already talking trade with a couple guys out here that want to downsize their trucks. Man I wish I could find a well priced 1 ton dump bed!

Exact Rototilling
06-01-2008, 01:43 AM
It really depends where you realistically see your business 1 to 3 years down the road. Far too often I see signatures or Avatars here on lawnsite that show a new or newer full size 3/4 ton truck and they have fairly minimal working equipment. Meanwhile they are making major truck payments while their working equipment suffers. Personally I prefer to put the money into to working end of the tool part of the business.

I have an older 85 Toyota 4x4 with a 22r that barely cranks out 100 HP and it does pull my 6 x 12 enclosed down the road ok fully loaded - at well over 1700 ponds? Getting on the freeway requires full throttle to get up to speed. Some goes for my 91 4 runner with a V6. Puts out barely 150 HP with a bit more torque for around town. So what if my 4 runner only gets 11 or 12 mpg towing a trailer - it only gets 14 mpg running empty anyhow. Those big fat truck payments [that I don't have] can pay for gas.

One of my relatives was telling me I needed to get a real truck for this business. That would of been a tragic error to follow that advice. I have found that mowing is the least profitable of the services I offer and quite frankly I don't need a bigger truck or tow vehicle of any kind for those other non-mowing more profitable services I offer. My Toyotas work out just fine.

So why would I need a bigger truck? Bigger mowers requires a bigger trailer. At this point I don't see that happening. Too many mowing lowballers around my neck of the woods to justify a spendy ZTR of any sort. Maybe that will change with time but it seems to be a race to the bottom around here with the low-ballers. No thanks - they can swim down - I'll swim sideways.

I'm assuming the Tacoma has a 5 speed with the 4 banger. Just get the truck and be done with it already. You will get better mpg and performance than I get form my older Toyotas. "Oh what a feeling . . .Toyota" :cool2:

S man
06-01-2008, 01:48 AM
It really depends where you realistically see your business 1 to 3 years down the road. Far too often I see signatures or Avatars here on lawnsite that show a new or newer full size 3/4 ton truck and they have fairly minimal working equipment. Meanwhile they are making major truck payments while their working equipment suffers. Personally I prefer to put the money into to working end of the tool part of the business.

I have an older 85 Toyota 4x4 with a 22r that barely cranks out 100 HP and it does pull my 6 x 12 enclosed down the road ok fully loaded - at well over 1700 ponds? Getting on the freeway requires full throttle to get up to speed. Some goes for my 91 4 runner with a V6. Puts out barely 150 HP with a bit more torque for around town. So what if my 4 runner only gets 11 or 12 mpg towing a trailer - it only gets 14 mpg running empty anyhow. Those big fat truck payments [that I don't have] can pay for gas.

One of my relatives was telling me I needed to get a real truck for this business. That would of been a tragic error to follow that advice. I have found that mowing is the least profitable of the services I offer and quite frankly I don't need a bigger truck or tow vehicle of any kind for those other non-mowing more profitable services I offer. My Toyotas work out just fine.

So why would I need a bigger truck? Bigger mowers requires a bigger trailer. At this point I don't see that happening. Too many mowing lowballers around my neck of the woods to justify a spendy ZTR of any sort. Maybe that will change with time but it seems to be a race to the bottom around here with the low-ballers. No thanks - they can swim down - I'll swim sideways.

I'm assuming the Tacoma has a 5 speed with the 4 banger. Just get the truck and be done with it already. You will get better mpg and performance than I get form my older Toyotas. "Oh what a feeling . . .Toyota" :cool2:

It's a 4 cylinder automatic that gets 19 city and 24 highway.

JDUtah
06-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Bigger mowers requires a bigger trailer. At this point I don't see that happening. Too many mowing lowballers around my neck of the woods to justify a spendy ZTR of any sort.

So the lowballers are deciding how much YOUR work is worth? And in turn what quality/speed equipment you buy? Hmm... thats usually happens if you are trying to swim in THEIR pool.

Grass Happens
06-01-2008, 02:36 AM
there is a guy in my town that pulls an odd 7x13 tandem with the smallest tires I have ever seen with a 4-popper s-10. My favorite is when he has his old l2000 something kubota, flail mower and some sort of riding vac on it. Of course this is all attached to the truck via bumper ball. He's been in business for 20 years...

Exact Rototilling
06-01-2008, 02:45 AM
So the lowballers are deciding how much YOUR work is worth? And in turn what quality/speed equipment you buy? Hmm... thats usually happens if you are trying to swim in THEIR pool.Actually it's the prospective client, well over 95% of them, who call expecting to get my premium detailed service, for the same low ball rate and then they suffer from sticker shock when they see my quote for weekly service.

I have been able to pick up a few mowing clients at the higher rate because all the low balers are swamped with mowing work for cheap.

DiyDave
06-01-2008, 05:58 AM
Get yourself an old ford 3/4 ton with a straight six and granny gear tranny, they are bombproof, AND you don't have to stop at the chicken coops and listen to the little men in brown uniforms take out their frustrations at being born of too slight a stature to become a real police officer!

AI Inc
06-01-2008, 06:08 AM
I have an 08 Ranger for a service truck 2.8 . I pulled a 2 place snowmobile trailer 1 weekend to see what it was like. Didnt like it at all, kept downshifting and probably used as much gas as a v8.

Lawn-Sharks
06-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I used a 95 chevy S-10 w/2.2 4cyl to pull my enclosed trailer while my full size was in the shop and the little truck did good i had to put overload springs and a hitch just to do the job but it worked fine, and it did great on fuel! it looked funny pulling a big trailer but it pulled it fine after the mods.

mnglocker
06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Get enough truck for the trailer. You don't want to be going around a bend needing to use your brakes hard, only to find that the trailer will push that little toy toy off the road. It's a matter of safety, a little truck can get the load moving, (probably not fast enough to get on the freeway with out getting creamed) but a little truck doesn't have the mass to hold that trailer in place when you need it to.

Right now I'm pulling my 7x12 open trailer @ 2100lbs GVW with my '04 Jeep WJ or my 99' Dakota r/t, the jeep is down right scarry to pull with, that trailer pushes it every wear and the 4.0 doesn't have enough nuts to merge with traffic. The jeep tips the scales at about 3500lbs, my dodge weighs about 4500lbs. I'm looking at offing the Jeep for a 1ton, not just for the extra towing capability, because it's cheaper to insure and it will take a plow and not complain.

S man
06-01-2008, 02:37 PM
hmmm. I guess I'll look for a tacoma 6 cylinder.

mnglocker
06-01-2008, 02:43 PM
One thing you'll never hear anybody say when it comes to tow rigs:

"I wish I had less power, less torque and smaller brakes"

BryceBentleyLCS
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
hmmm. I guess I'll look for a tacoma 6 cylinder.

I would not get a toyota tacoma. I pulled a 12' lawn trailer with 2 mowers and I could not stop the trailer. It would push the truck all around, I have slid through enter sections when a light changed. I had the tacoma for about 2 weeks, now I have a F-250 Powerstroke and I dont have to worry about that anymore. I feel safer when I pull a trailer and mulch. DONT GET A TOYOTA TACOMA!!!!!! It is a waste of time.:usflag:

BryceBentleyLCS
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
One thing you'll never hear anybody say when it comes to tow rigs:

"I wish I had less power, less torque and smaller brakes"

X2 :usflag:

nosparkplugs
06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Unless your planing on limited growth, playing around in this business? go for it, you should be fine; however realize your limiting your ability to tow "real weight". while gas prices are a great justification for this purchase, your limiting your growth from the start

Keith
06-01-2008, 03:55 PM
S-man, how about a V6 F150? You can pick up a brand new one for under $14k, used should be very reasonably priced.

I love my 4 cylinder Ranger, but I would not want to tow with it. I towed with a 1985 Toyota pickup for about a year and I never would want to go back there. Too many close calls, not to mention I could not keep engines in it.

mnglocker
06-01-2008, 04:18 PM
S-man, how about a V6 F150? You can pick up a brand new one for under $14k, used should be very reasonably priced.

I love my 4 cylinder Ranger, but I would not want to tow with it. I towed with a 1985 Toyota pickup for about a year and I never would want to go back there. Too many close calls, not to mention I could not keep engines in it.

You'll get the same millage from a V8 f150 with a lot longer engine life to boot. Get as much torque under the hood as available and you'll enjoy decent fuel economy with a longer vehicle life to boot.

I've got the 5.9 in my Dakota and I get 16mpg with my trailer, and about 22mpg on the freeway with out a trailer.

Keith
06-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm aware of the benefits of the Ford modular V8. It will tow better, get about the same mileage doing it, and in general be more enjoyable to own. But if fuel mileage is a concern, the V6 in that truck is going to do better when it doesn't have trailer hooked to it. It is available with a manual. And it also has a lower price on the front end.

J&R Landscaping
06-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Unless your planing on limited growth, playing around in this business? go for it, you should be fine; however realize your limiting your ability to tow "real weight". while gas prices are a great justification for this purchase, your limiting your growth from the start

Ditto! I agree

Garagedude
06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
You should look at how many miles your going to put on it. Also how hilly of country are you working in. On flat ground you could get by. I pull a 5x10 with 1100 lbs. on it with a Bronco II that has a 2.8 in it. I built the motor and its doing fine. Don't forget the stopping power will be better with a larger truck as well as handling. If its a real bargain I'd go for it, especially if money is tight, but otherwise look some more then decide.

Turf Commando
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
As you can see sometimes I use my Ranger V6...(prefer the F-150)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/joeaudio26/Joesdetailing134.jpg
I stay about 2 car lengths away from people but if an emergency arrives braking
could cause me some problems no matter how great the brakes are...Joe

Keith
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM

It's a good idea to stay two seconds back. But unfortunately around here when other drivers see more than one car link between you and the vehicle you are following, they assume that space is for them to squeeze into :hammerhead:

JDUtah
06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
It's a good idea to stay two seconds back. But unfortunately around here when other drivers see more than one car link between you and the vehicle you are following, they assume that space is for them to squeeze into :hammerhead:

Yup, even with my 150 I stay a good distance behind. And yup, regularly people think they get a whole 1 second faster by jumping in front of me. But still yup, the 150 was too small within one year.

BCSteel
06-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow, you guys must be bad drivers to have so many problems towing such small loads with smaller trucks. I never once had a problem with the nissan and stopping or accelerating and for sure never felt unsafe with the combination. My next truck after was a '94 f150 with a straight 6 in standard and that was plenty of truck for all of my needs including towing loads of +/- 6 yards of bark mulch.

I still say get the Tacoma unless your going to be doing a lot of highway driving and if your really concerned about the braking then put some brakes on your trailer.

Frontier-Lawn
06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
i had a 98 frontier with a 4cyl and it towed a 5x10 open with a a 42" JD 21" JD walk bh, and 2 trimmers 1 blower and one edger ant trash can. and it really sucked down gas. now my new truck sips gas compared to the frontier.

Grass Happens
06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Is that a 92?
I have an identical truck, but its turquoise with the 3.0 and a 5speed. I only have stopping problems when I'm hauling more then I know i should be anyways...

As you can see sometimes I use my Ranger V6...(prefer the F-150)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/joeaudio26/Joesdetailing134.jpg

Turf Commando
06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
It's a 91 Ranger 3.0 V6 (automatic trans) has seen better days previous owner towed 19' boat...
I can stop the truck decently, it just harder on the brakes. I use the ranger more than F-150 gas price plays significant role in choice ....

PushingupDaisies
06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
As my 1/2 ton is in the shop, I have been using a friends '95 Dakota 3.9 V6 Auto. Does fairly decently. I bag grass and by the end of the day, my bed is very full. I have to put my small equipment in the bed as my trailer doesn't have racks. It gets tight by the end. I believe that I am getting 15 fully loaded. V6 is pretty tough and pulls decently. I had to switch to my smaller trailer, as my horse trailer is WAY TOO HEAVY for that light truck, I;d be in serious trouble if I needed to do any emergency maneuvers. The Dakota is rated as a light 1/2 ton. I have thought of the 4 cylinder idea, but bagging grass would make going smaller impossible. I am looking forward to having my 1/2 ton larger bed and better towing back, but not the 10 mpg. If you don't bag or have a better setup on a trailer that is still light I would strongly recommend the Dakota V6.

PushingupDaisies
06-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Here is the only downside I have found. Payload. Had a small wall I was putting in and I picked up pea gravel fro the base. My full size would have carried more, and it would have been nice to have a little more.

If that isn't a big deal or you don't mind being a lowrider, stay small. These pics are with about 1/2 the gravel removed. I was seriously riding low on the way up.

KSgrassmaster
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
S man, that is a lot of weight for a truck that size. I used to work on public works plow trucks that were used in the winter. They ranged from a Chevy 1500 up to the Chevy HD3500. Just from pushing snow a lone destroyed the suspensions on the trucks. You will need least a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton truck. That is just my opinion. You make the descion. But you get what you paid for i guess.

Petr51488
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Like everyone else is saying, don't waste your money on a toy truck. Atleast buy a 1/2 ton. Anything less will fall apart on you and will cost you way more in the long run. Take my advice for what its worth. You will grow, and you will need more truck. Safety should be your #1 priority. Hmmm your life, your an extra 5mpg. That truck wont get that mileage towing. You can't change some peoples minds, but dont waste your money on a small cheap truck.

KSgrassmaster
06-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Like everyone else is saying, don't waste your money on a toy truck. Atleast buy a 1/2 ton. Anything less will fall apart on you and will cost you way more in the long run. Take my advice for what its worth. You will grow, and you will need more truck. Safety should be your #1 priority. Hmmm your life, your an extra 5mpg. That truck wont get that mileage towing. You can't change some peoples minds, but dont waste your money on a small cheap truck.
amen to that. If your gonna get a pick-up truck then you need to get at least a 1/2 ton up to a full 1 ton truck. F-150, Dodge 1500 or Chevy 1500HD.
Or go bigger with the F-250 or Dodge 2500 or Chevy 2500HD.

Exact Rototilling
06-19-2008, 01:53 AM
S man,

Did you ever buy the Tacoma?

I will chime in one last time. I do not own a heavier ZTR mower. The way things are going with the mowing part of the business I will probably never will. It's the least profitable service I offer but that's a topic for another thread. I own a Quick 36 and I sometime also carry a 21" mower depending on my 2 mowing routes. I don't see myself having a mower bigger than a 48" WB. It's just not profitable, IMHO, for my business model to go out an buy a full size truck and a bigger trailer. My 6 x 12 enclosed, with no brakes, is cramped I fully admit and I need to leave some equipment at home every day. I will probably never go beyond being a solo operator. My business focus is primarily in the niche areas where quite frankly the money is better than mowing at least in my area.

If you are wanting to buy a bigger and heavier mowers down the road then possibly you might be selling yourself short by getting the Tacoma.

For my business model my Toyota trucks are working just fine. :waving:

topsites
06-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I like my '95 D-2500, I paid 4000 for it and it's all mine.
Now I did have to fly to go get it, drive it back, fix it up, ttlir and inspection and all of that.
But it's a great truck, 4000 for all that and it's all paid for.
One payment, it hurt once and then it was done and over with.

Insurance is cheaper like that too, don't need full coverage if it's paid up.

Getting rid of the 1/2 ton... Too small. What happens when your customers start wanting mulch jobs, etc? The F150 is too small for us already. 1 ton here we come. I'm already talking trade with a couple guys out here that want to downsize their trucks. Man I wish I could find a well priced 1 ton dump bed!

I like the 3/4's myself, but how is a full ton 'bigger' than a 1/2?
Unless it's a dump, and maybe a crew cab...

PushingupDaisies
06-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Anyone using a CNG natural gas or bifuel truck? CNG is about $0.64 a gallon here in Utah. Was looking to find a fleet truck or something.

JacksonLawns
06-25-2008, 06:28 AM
I have an '04 Chevy Colorado crew cab with an inline 5 in it and pull a 6x10 trailer (1000lbs) with a 21" push mower and a 36" walk behind. I started out hauling the walk behind in the bed of the truck for two seasons and recently bought the trailer. I can certainly feel the trailer back there but the truck pulls it nice (starting and stopping). I would prefer a larger truck but was already driving this one. You can do it in a smaller truck (several of us are). If I didn't already have a smaller truck and was in the market for a truck, personally, I would look for a full size, especially if you plan on growing.

S man
06-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm thinking a toyota tacoma 6 clyinder would be fine if I don't add anymore equipment.

Exact Rototilling
06-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking a toyota tacoma 6 clyinder would be fine if I don't add anymore equipment.

This might be water under the bridge at this point but any way to propose a test drive out of the owner of the owner of the truck you where originally interested in with your current trailer in tow? Something to consider. This way you will know for future reference.

Petr51488
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I guess theres no changing your mind. I'm telling you, along with the rest of the guys that your wasting your money. Do as you wish.

CALandscapes
06-25-2008, 08:54 PM
S Man, didn't you say before that you're interested not only in mowing but also in "landscaping"?

My experience:

I started with a V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Several months later, I bought a V8 Tundra.

LESS THAN A YEAR LATER I was in a position to where I needed to upgrade, and purchased an F-250 Diesel.

Next truck I bought (still have the 250, as well) was a Dodge 2500 Diesel.

Additionally, both 3/4 tons are 4x4, just in case.

I refuse to be in a position where I don't have enough power..

I'm looking at getting another; if I don't get an NPR it'll be a Chevy 2500 6.0L gasser...

Don't buy too small, you're gonna limit yourself and be in the same position as me (losing big on trading the smaller truck on a bigger one)...

S man
06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
S Man, didn't you say before that you're interested not only in mowing but also in "landscaping"?

My experience:

I started with a V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Several months later, I bought a V8 Tundra.

LESS THAN A YEAR LATER I was in a position to where I needed to upgrade, and purchased an F-250 Diesel.

Next truck I bought (still have the 250, as well) was a Dodge 2500 Diesel.

Additionally, both 3/4 tons are 4x4, just in case.

I refuse to be in a position where I don't have enough power..

I'm looking at getting another; if I don't get an NPR it'll be a Chevy 2500 6.0L gasser...

Don't buy too small, you're gonna limit yourself and be in the same position as me (losing big on trading the smaller truck on a bigger one)...

Yes I intend to do landscaping also. I'm still saving my money and will look into a new or close to new truck at the end of the year. I really want toyota though. I wouldn't even consider dodge or chevy.

CALandscapes
06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Show me a Toyota that'll pull a large skid steer and I'll be sold...

Yeah, didn't think so.

JacksonLawns
06-26-2008, 05:13 AM
If you are "sold" on Toyota go with a Tundra then...you get your Toyota and a fullsize truck

JMLandscaping
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Show me a Toyota that'll pull a large skid steer and I'll be sold...

Yeah, didn't think so.

I'm pretty sure a tundra V8 would pull a skid steer no problem.

TXNSLighting
12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure a tundra V8 would pull a skid steer no problem.

but it would struggle.

GravelyGuy
12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
but it would struggle.

No it wouldn't...

ryry278
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
No it wouldn't...

yes it would...lol j/k i have no idea

TXNSLighting
12-31-2008, 05:51 PM
It would be like, O No! Get that off me! Ha fun times.

JMLandscaping
12-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Totota has came a long way but you need to know what your truck is. I have a 4cyl 2wd tacoma it is a small truck I can carry a bed full of mulch commercial mowers etc my atv no problem. It gets 28 mpg highway and 25 everyday.

It cannot pull a 16' trailer 3 ztrs bobcats excavators etc. I bought it for what I need a daily driver to school and a work truck on the side.

the tundras now are real badazz and can hold their own they beat out any f150 or 1500 on the market!

TXNSLighting
01-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Totota has came a long way but you need to know what your truck is. I have a 4cyl 2wd tacoma it is a small truck I can carry a bed full of mulch commercial mowers etc my atv no problem. It gets 28 mpg highway and 25 everyday.

It cannot pull a 16' trailer 3 ztrs bobcats excavators etc. I bought it for what I need a daily driver to school and a work truck on the side.

the tundras now are real badazz and can hold their own they beat out any f150 or 1500 on the market!

No they wont beat out any half ton on the market. That new dodge will give it a run for its money.

Green Pastures
01-01-2009, 02:15 PM
What ever happened to the 4 or 6 cylinder diesel that Ford was supposed to come out with for the F-150?

Waz that a big fat internet rumor?

TXNSLighting
01-01-2009, 02:20 PM
What ever happened to the 4 or 6 cylinder diesel that Ford was supposed to come out with for the F-150?

Its going to be a 4.4L V8. It will be out next year. Probably September.

nosparkplugs
01-01-2009, 02:37 PM

gotta wait till:cry:

2010 2010 2010

All three GM Ford & Dodge will be offering a 6 cylinder diesel option in 2010

GM baby D-max
Dodge baby-Cummins
Ford will use their own diesel for the first time:confused:

TomberLawn
01-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I've heard/read all the rumors about diesel half-tons. They waited a long time to come out with them because they would kill 3/4 ton sales. How many people do you see driving a diesel truck who really needs a 3/4 ton truck? Probably not that many, but people want the efficiency, power, and longevity of a diesel engine, so they buy a bigger truck than they need. Also, emissions requirements keep getting tougher every couple of years, so the Big 3 are probably waiting it out until the standard stays the same for more than 2 years. One year from today, Jan. 1, 2010, is when the next emissions requirement goes into effect. I think that will be one of the last for a while, unless the Obama administration keeps lightening the collar, so the manufacturers have been waiting it out for the last increment.

Here's something to look forward to. I just found this today and started a thread about it. Diesel Mahindra mid-size truck, 30-35mpg. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2672852#post2672852

JMLandscaping
01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
power and torque the tundra beats aout 150 and the 1500s

If any manufacture came out with a half ton diesel I would buy one. the cummins 4 cyl diesel will smoke a v8 gas and will get around 35mpg in the rigt truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9sMxVVVpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yLIQ0pRcM

this last one pisses me off the are suppose to be new truck un abused thats why most buy new truck so they are not beat on!!

nosparkplugs
01-01-2009, 04:38 PM

If any manufacture came out with a half ton diesel I would buy one. the cummins 4 cyl diesel will smoke a v8 gas and will get around 35mpg in the rigt truck

this last one pisses me off the are suppose to be new truck un abused thats why most buy new truck so they are not beat on!!

Like I have been preaching those doubting diesel technology as the renewable sustainable fuel,are always the first to jump off the ship or jump back on.

Gm,Ford, Cummins are more profitable in the euro market especially in the diesel market. The Ford scorpian diesel is a top euro seller.

Were the only country who continues to think gasoline power is the future. Were arse backwards with gas over diesel, and our ULSD is not as potent in BTU's as euro diesel,

TXNSLighting
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Like I have been preaching those doubting diesel technology as the renewable sustainable fuel,are always the first to jump off the ship or jump back on.

Gm,Ford, Cummins are more profitable in the euro market especially in the diesel market. The Ford scorpian diesel is a top euro seller.

Were the only country who continues to think gasoline power is the future. Were arse backwards with gas over diesel, and our ULSD is not as potent in BTU's as euro diesel,

Exactly right!!

TXNSLighting
01-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Proof reading would help..

Lakewlc
01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Its going to be a 4.4L V8. It will be out next year. Probably September.

september of 2009 or 2010?

TXNSLighting
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
september of 2009 or 2010?

09. This coming year. It will be a 2010 Model. Altho, Theres a chance it will be jan 2010 as an '11.

dura to the max
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Get yourself an old ford 3/4 ton with a straight six and granny gear tranny, they are bombproof, AND you don't have to stop at the chicken coops and listen to the little men in brown uniforms take out their frustrations at being born of too slight a stature to become a real police officer!

you know S man aint gonna have anything that aint shiny, new and pretty...also it has to be something that he can sell easily since he wont keep but a couple months anyway.

Lakewlc
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
09. This coming year. It will be a 2010 Model. Altho, Theres a chance it will be jan 2010 as an '11.

the sooner the better. whats the story with the dodge half ton diesel?

The Elements Group
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
if you are serious about this business and are in it for a duration, then look into something you can grow into. Look into the dodge 2500 with the cummins diesel. i have a 4wd , lwb, 4dr that gets us 20 mpg empty and 17 when towing no matter what im towing . its a 6 cylinder so more efficient and a little less on insurance . good luck

TXNSLighting
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
the sooner the better. whats the story with the dodge half ton diesel?

aw a V8 Cummins. Isnt that what we all wanted?? :hammerhead:

Thats dodges half ton diesel. Comin out the same time along with the new D-max. V8 Cummins...eww...

Lakewlc
01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
anyone know the base price for these things? i read that they are all gonna come loaded

dishboy
01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I have considered a Tacoma also. IMO the only model to get would be the 2wd 2.7L 5 speed regular cab.Any other configuration and your weight/mileage will drop into shortbox f150 4L 5 speed range which is 16 mpg hauling a 6X10 with a 36"wb and two 21's and all the hand tools. If you are only hauling two mowers with a light trailer w trailer brakes it would work OK and I suspect 18 MPG would be attainable. Now if you have money to invest a narrow 5X10 aluminum trailer with a Quik 36 and a new light LB commercial you might be able to squeeze 19 ought of the deal.

JMLandscaping
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I have considered a Tacoma also. IMO the only model to get would be the 2wd 2.7L 5 speed regular cab.Any other configuration and your weight/mileage will drop into shortbox f150 4L 5 speed range which is 16 mpg hauling a 6X10 with a 36"wb and two 21's and all the hand tools. If you are only hauling two mowers with a light trailer w trailer brakes it would work OK and I suspect 18 MPG would be attainable. Now if you have money to invest a narrow 5X10 aluminum trailer with a Quik 36 and a new light LB commercial you might be able to squeeze 19 ought of the deal.

Right ON! I would say go with the extended cab I have an extra cab 2wd 2.4

28 mpg highway 24 everyday if you get a v6 or 4x4 just get a half ton same mileage!

Tacoma are nice capable trucks but you need to know what your getting dont get a small truck that thinks its big!

mowerman87
01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
The truck may struggle at times, but you can definitely pull 1200 lbs. I started mowing with a 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier and 5X10 trailer. If the price is right I would go for it. There is a huge lco in the Dallas area (Just Mow It or something like that) and they only use Ford Rangers, but they're only using 21" mowers so it may be too small for your work. However, it may be ideal to pick up this little truck now and invest in a larger truck after you have saved up more. Then you have a different truck for a different job.

JMLandscaping
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I agree I can pull a walk behind a 21 all the handhelds etc for a solo operation. When I haul mulch and other material I use my f150. I am saving up for a 1 ton diesel for a dump trailer etc but I will still keep my toyota, why drive to the grocery store with a 1 ton unless its all you got. If all you do is landscape everyday than a large truck only will be fine. but I have my taco to commute to college as well as run my PART time buisness.

just my 2 cents!

lawnboy dan
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
you dont want any truck with a manual trans for towing

TXNSLighting
01-06-2009, 10:23 PM

wha???????!!!!!?????!!! Are you kidding??

JMLandscaping
01-07-2009, 09:44 AM

I hope your kidding! the only decent tranny for pulling is the torque shift and the alison 6 speed. But when you think about it, the "amazing" things these trannies do are simple actions with a stick shift! ie. downshifting with a load down hills etc.

I will NEVER buy an automatic after I here all my buddy's with autos replacing, rebuilding them etc

loupiscopolandscaping
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
go big or go home lol

Lakewlc
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
go big or go home lol

your right hahaha

ALarsh
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I have an 04 Tacoma 4 cylinder... I probably would look for atleast a 1/2 ton. Not towing they are great trucks but are only really comfortable with a couple hundred pounds in the back (not made for mowing business day in and day out). The 4 cylinders are great though, 24 mpg and they have a timing chain... no expensive repairs. Run forever :)

Get a 1/2 ton work truck ford/chevy/toyota and be much better off.