PDA

View Full Version : When to take the ZTR plunge

dmk395
12-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Right now I have 2 Exmark, 48" walkbehinds. Just wondering when some of u guys decided to pluck down 8 grand or so and go for the ZTR? I am thinking about it for next year, just have a hard time justifying that much of an expenditure.

Randy Scott
12-26-2001, 05:53 PM
First and foremost, do your properties warrant the advantages of a ZTR? Secondly, the sooner the better. I think most would agree, if your properties will accomodate a ZTR, then get one as soon as you can afford. Also, if they don't accomodate a ZTR, then you can now pursue those types of properties. I think it has been stated enough that a ZTR will earn it's keep quite quickly and effectively. Go for it!

mdb landscaping
12-26-2001, 06:12 PM
i took the plunge my second season mowing. i dont know how i did without one. i started with a scag 48 inch walkbehind, and by spring i decided it was time for a rider. you will become much more productive providing your properties warrant that size machine.

lawrence stone
12-26-2001, 06:31 PM
A ZTR would be a waste for most parts of Mass unless you are mowing acreage. Add toro t-bars and stand on sulkies to the exmarks and you will have two 48" zero turn stand on mowers.

lee b
12-26-2001, 07:22 PM
If your properties can handle a z, do it now. Save one of your walk behinds for a spare and watch the dust cover it. If you can use a z, you won't have much use for anything else.:D

Richard Martin
12-26-2001, 07:23 PM
I took the ZTR plunge when my days cutting grass were starting to get too long. I was using a 50" Gravely but it is nothing compared to my Dixie Chopper 60". I shaved off 167 hours over the course of the season and cut more grass while doing it.

MATTHEW
12-26-2001, 07:47 PM
Exactly how large are your lawns? I have one 30,000, but the rest are 3-7,000 so I would not benefit much from a Z.
Like you said, you have to justify the cost. It is hundreds per month.

cantoo
12-27-2001, 12:03 AM
I read here of guys who charge anywhere from $40 to $200 per hour, at those rates it's only a couple of hours a month to make payments.

65hoss
12-27-2001, 07:56 PM
I'll attack this question from another angle. Your wear and tear on your body. If your properties can handle a Z and you can buy it straight out, then now. The easier you make this career on your body the happier you will be. Not to mention make more $$$. My opinion is if you want to upgrade, do it when you can afford to pay for it. Don't continue being in debt. As a former financial consultant, I was accustom to seeing people pay high interest rates, then at the paid off point they had to buy another machine to replace the one they just used up while paying for. Now they are in for another loan and paying the bank again.

Just my 2 pennies.

bob
12-27-2001, 09:48 PM
Do it as soon as possible. I waited 6 years before I bought my first ZTR. If you can swing the payments , get one. One ZTR equals 2 of you walkbehinds. Some dealers will also offer special financing in the spring, like 3 or 4 months deferred payments. With a more productive piece of equipment, you can take on more and larger jobs. Also, you won't be as tired at the end of the dy.

HOMER
12-28-2001, 01:29 AM
I'm still plungin'.:blob3:

Never done anything different.