PDA

View Full Version : velke ?

grassyfras
12-26-2001, 05:22 PM
I have an exmarkmetro hp 36". I just got a 2 wheel velke and on the back of my mower there are no center holes to attach the velke on. There are holes to the right and left of the back of the mower. Do i have to get an atachment from my dealer or from the manfuture or can I drill my own holes? How hard is it to drill the holes and can i mess anything up?

MATTHEW
12-26-2001, 07:49 PM
Go ahead and drill as long as you stay 1/2" or more away from the other holes. Plan on yearly tranny work. (still worth it, though)

mowerconsultant
12-26-2001, 09:52 PM
Center it and drill your holes
Caution !!!
Place a steel plate behind so if you go through the steel to fast you will not hit the belt......
Been there done that !!!!

Later
Pj

Shady Brook
12-27-2001, 12:52 AM
Yep, follow those fellas advice, and yes be careful of the belt directly behind where you are drilling. I think you may get alot of life out of your trany with the velke. I have one machine with nearly 1300 hours, all velke, and am only on my second trans. In any event, they are worth every penny!:p
Jay

LAWNGODFATHER
12-27-2001, 01:09 AM
At the weight Mr. Fras weighs, I don't for see any tranni problems.

I know that it came with an instrution manaul if it was new MR. FRAS.

Call me I'll put it on and hook the chain to hang it up also.

grassyfras
12-27-2001, 01:09 PM
OK thanks guys. LGF i might be giving you a call one of these days.

heybruck34
12-28-2001, 04:39 PM
This may be a dumb question but- Using a velke wears out the tranny? Is this because of the added weight (ME) the mower has to drag around the yard?

Thanks for the help guys....

BerksLawn
12-28-2001, 05:12 PM
Yea you can wear out the tranny. Are 36" need it rebuilt at the end of each year because it started to stutter but it was covered under warrenty, we now have the velkie on are 48" and have no problem.

MATTHEW
12-28-2001, 06:19 PM
I did not mean that the tranny needs to rebuilt every year. Mine has not been rebuilt yet. The problem I have is the shaft getting stripped. I am 175 lbs.

BerksLawn
12-28-2001, 08:12 PM
Well I weight 175 also and my dad weights 225lbs. Afterawhile when walking in second gear it started to stutter, don't know why but they rebuilt it under warrenty no questions asked.

Later,
Steve

eslawns
12-30-2001, 02:27 PM
Sorry guys, but IMO, using a Velke will not hurt the tranny. I am convinced it comes from cutting in the transport gear and letting go of the control abruptly when taking off from a stop or turning. You can tell when you do this because the front of the mower will try to lift up. I also think it comes from leaving the mower in gear while you drive around. All the tension in the drive train binds in the gear box.

BTW, I replaced 4 trannies in 3 years before I changed the way I used my mowers. Now I leave them in neutral during transport, and make smoother turns. No problem with trannies since in 3 years.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-30-2001, 07:49 PM
eslawns: what you are saying is true, is says to do exasctly that for nomal operation in most owners mauals without the velke.

However the other you posted is classified as abuse, and some technique is involved in operating a belt drive with a velke.

ohiolawnguy
01-03-2002, 02:43 PM
i always thought most tranny failures were a result of shifting on the fly, what i mean is not finding that neutral zone when you shift. i know of lots of people who leave mower in gear during transport. am i wrong?????