PDA

View Full Version : Pond Pricing Question

JohnsonLawn
06-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a customer who wants me to build him a 15'x25' pond. I was planning on using Savio products for this install and the access is great, as I can almost back the truck right up to the area of excavation. I have not built a pond in a couple years and have not built one this large (11'x16' being the largest) so just wondering what the ballpark cost of this install should be so I have an idea if I am in the right price range. I would really like to get this job so I could maybe us it as advertising and get a few more pond installs lined up. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks guys

Toker
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
FWIW and that be little :laugh: I passed on a job since I not up to snuff yet IMO and watched a buddy take it --- finished size was around 16' x 23' , 16' stream, Savio goodies and pretty easy job if you know the game I guess. 6 tons of rock and all the rest - nothing fancy in rock, just river rock and some flagstone steppers. Guess maybe 14 sf of them?

He bid the thing at $7800. They jumped on the bid - he found out later he was better than $2000 lighter than next lowest. Still - he made out real well and they loved it. 2 referrals to boot so everyone must be pretty happy.

I bet the prices vary so much from area to area it might be hard to compare them????

Good luck - profits nice on these things it seems.

OT - I see you like the outdoorsy gals. :laugh: Does she have a sister??? :cool2::cool2:
Great taste you have in ladies!

Venturewest
06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Is this going to have a stream or waterfall that flows into the pond? Are you going to use large accent boulders to really make it natural or just use the typical-basically same basketball size rock that everyone else uses?

I personally say bid a lot, so you have room to do a really nice pond that you can have on your portfolio. If you haven't done many, or didn't do really neat ones, get some design help.

15x25 is a big pond. Are you using one or two skimmers? One or two pumps? A filter falls? Any kind of bottom drain?

Toker
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
15 x 25 is big if that's finished size. I construed it to be a liner that size and not the finished size.

buzzyng
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
As VentureWest stated, they are many design considerations. Streams (length, width, heighth), multiple skimmers?, one or more waterfalls? size of boulders? depth, large equipment required, etc

15x25 is pretty good size and getting a ballpark is tough without knowing more details. Plus, your level of experience factors into it as it could take you alot longer than estimated if you haven't done one in a while.

Toker
06-02-2008, 10:55 PM
:laugh:As VentureWest stated, they are many design considerations. Streams (length, width, heighth), multiple skimmers?, one or more waterfalls? size of boulders? depth, large equipment required, etc

15x25 is pretty good size and getting a ballpark is tough without knowing more details. Plus, your level of experience factors into it as it could take you alot longer than estimated if you haven't done one in a while.

The dudes are right ..... and you say you want it for practice and a advertising project too. So there ya have it --- price it right there, dead in the middle of making out real well and giving it away ;)

Now tell me what I just said eh :rolleyes: :laugh:

I am taking on one that was just signed off on today - be about 13x15 finished. 5200g pond pump, savio skimmer and natural weir with small bog on the berm too. Single stream about 2' wide mostly and less than 14' in length.
It'll require some extra haul in dirt to build up the falls area along with usual rock, etc....she wants some extra large boulders too, mainly limestone for the rock. I bid it lower than I wanted at just under $6000. Renting a MT to save the backs. I got tons of nursery stock in my gardens so I'll be tossing some of that into the fold even tho not in bid .... It's on a great location to be seen and she's a person who will let the results be known to all, good or bad. This gets the TLC thing.

Yeah - I maybe should have bid it close to $7000 since that would be more the norm here. I figure that $1000 off is the cheapest "talking" advertising I could get. She will either make me a bundle in time or I will be doing no more at all. Serious too ... this will be a shake up or out. Say a prayer for me or drink an extra cold one, whichever you like. Thanks:drinkup:

buzzyng
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Good luck.

We just finished a 14x14 with only a waterfall that we did for under $5k and a 15x15x3 with a 25' stream for $7500

Venturewest
06-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Man those prices seem low compared to what the big pond builders are charging here. They are staying booked up all summer and probably charging between 9K and 11K for a 15x15 with a falls or stream.

I guess it depends on the price of rock in your area, and the type of construction.

Good luck on your "make it or break it pond" hope it goes really well and sells you a ton of features. The large one I did earlier this spring that I posted on here seems like it is seriously going to launch my business to a whole new level.

JohnsonLawn
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all your feedback fellas. Now they want this pond to have two waterfalls. 1 with a stream and one without. We are still in the design phase so nothing is etched in stone yet. I was figuring this project would sell for around 8 grand before they added the second waterfall. I am willing to do it for less and get my name out there. There is not a rush the homeowner tells me so I will take my time and make it look right. Thanks again

Toker
06-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Man those prices seem low compared to what the big pond builders are charging here. They are staying booked up all summer and probably charging between 9K and 11K for a 15x15 with a falls or stream.

I guess it depends on the price of rock in your area, and the type of construction.

Good luck on your "make it or break it pond" hope it goes really well and sells you a ton of features. The large one I did earlier this spring that I posted on here seems like it is seriously going to launch my business to a whole new level.

Our rocks are not really cheap here - seen them way less in other states. Thing is in my area, 50-60 miles in either direction, things are mighty tight for many and to many competing for to few in the market. Doesn't help that I am getting real close to lake country - when they say 10,000 lakes they short by maybe 4,000. Most of those lake folks have no interest in creating a pond and not much interest in hardscaping either at that. Enough rocks and water for all.
So the market is either here or in the TC area, which has lots of small pond builders starving. From what I hear even the lawn services way down. I think things are maybe tougher here than many suspect ro admit to.

Venturewest
06-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Good luck with your pond Mike. Toker, yeah you guys definitely have enough natural beauty up there. I love that area. We always spent out summer vacations in far nothern Wisconsin on the lakes up there.

I can see how times would be tough in the pond building business, and landscaping for that matter.

Maybe you should shift gears and go for "outdoor living spaces". Seems like that is the big thing right now. Beat the other guys to it.

Toker
06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
The calls I've been getting lately are asking if I do sunrooms - it's either been so dry and hot or wet and cold here last few years maybe the trends permanent?
I been looking for a solid small "wood" crew - what's been calling me is what I call the doghouse boys. Maybe they can build a doghouse and they definitely in the doghouse with former employers.:nono:
Good crews full-up right now with tons of storm damage again this year or just not here - some moved on after the housing bust to tornado alley knowing works always there. Few months back these guys were calling me begging for work...times a changing again.
Might need to expand the search for carpenters and catch what I can while I can - my bills still keep coming in the main:cry::dizzy:

Edit _ Venture - don't get up this way much anymore huh? The best part of past few years being dry are the bugs - they were non-existent. Not often can ya do the BWCA or Voyageurs National Park and not get chewed on pretty good like it's been for 5-6 years now. Decent snow started to get lakes up again despite no rain so all's good there.