PDA

View Full Version : New Mag 8000 with some damaged parts.

johnnywalker
12-26-2001, 10:28 PM
Just got the Mag8000 & the balancer. Looks like a great unit. Well packed but the trunion adjuster had 1 end broken off. I'm assuming the trunion adjuster is the white plastic piece which inserted into the trunion pivot bearing. Also the adjusting rod threads had been damaged by pushing against the metal frame. Does the trunion adjuster come as a unit with the trunion pivot bearing or can I simply insert a new one in the existing pivot bearings.
How far should the edge of a straight blade hang off the table?
Seemed to be alot of sparks shooting directly at me. (I tried it with someone holding the adjusting rod).
Also re: the balancer. All my blades were unbalanced. There is gass build-up on all blades. How much will this affect balance? Do they have to be perfectly clean of grass? If the blade swings down very slowly from a horizontal balancing does this mean it is only slightly unbalanced?
Looking forward to giving the machine a good workout when I recieve the replacement parts thet were damaged. I have allready e-mailed the person I was dealing with.
Looks like a solid well-put together machine.

Magna-Matic
12-26-2001, 11:51 PM
Hello ...

Please call 800.328.1110 if you have not already had a new trunion sent to you, we will mail you one immediatly.

This trunion breakage has been a problem with UPS's man-handling of packages, its about 50/50 of the MAG-8000s have this break. We always get the part to the user ASAP.

To address the sparks coming at you, you must be very consious of keeping the blade perpindicular to the grinding wheel, this will keep the sparks away from you. Also, using the vacuum will help as well, and since your trunion is broken it will be better to test the machine after you get the new part in. Having someone use their hands to hold the adjusting rod is not the most steady thing.

There no restriction to how long an edge you have on your blade, it can hang off the table. You just need to be sure you have constant pressure down (on the blade), in (to the grinding wheel), and remain perpindicular to the grinding wheel.

BALACNING, yes, grass build-up on a blade will greatly throw it out of balance. You need to get the majority off, to get an accurate reading. The slower the blade falls the smaller the amount it is out of balance.

I handle web presence for Magna-Matic, and have not recieved an email from you yet about the part. Please call 800.328.1110 so that we can get the part in the mail to you tomorrow!

We are fanatic about fixing any problem with our products, no matter how the problem happened.

Thank you for your questions, i look forward to your review of the MAG-8000, i'm sure once we get you up and running you will also find that it is really the ULTIMATE sharpener.

Thank you again,

johnnywalker
12-27-2001, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Magna-Matic
Hello ...

Please call 800.328.1110

I get a "This toll free line is no longer in servive" recording. Calling from Canada. I e-mailed Gerd Ferdinand Bauer at gerd2@gerd2.com. This is the person I dealt with for purchase.
Thanks for the reply.

Magna-Matic
12-27-2001, 10:34 AM
I have recieved your email .. and will mail you a trunion.

I will also double check our 800 # service ... anyone in Canada or USA should be able to call us using it.

I have also spoken to our engineers, and they are currently in process of re-designing the trunion so that it does not break in shipment. The re-design will have no performance effect on the MAG-8000, it is only to solve this pesky shipping problem.

Thank you,

johnnywalker
12-27-2001, 11:43 AM
That's service! Thanks for the quick replies & for adressing the minor shipping problems. Looking forward to using the sharpener.