PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Back

nylan8888
06-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Well I told myself I would give it till June 1st and then make a decision. We are normally doing 3 to 5 installs a week by 1st of April and are normally booked through the summer by the 1st of May. It is the 2nd of June and we are only 3 weeks out and averaging 2 installs a week. We run 2 install crews , 1 for irrigation & landscaping and 1 for drains and fence, and 1 service tech. I have been carrying the 2nd install crew for the last month having them do some service ( not profitable to send 2 men on a service call to repair a stuck valve or change 2 rotors) and doubling up the crews on larger installs. Between this and the $2500.00 I spent on gas last month, it is killing my bottom line.

Have a company meeting set for 8:30 this morning and am going to let 2 men go. I have super employee's, newest hire was over 3 years ago. I should have done it a month ago but it is very hard for me to do this, we are like a family, but I have to swing with the economy and the work just isn't there right now. I feel bad for the men I am letting go because the other companies around here that I have talked to are in the same boat and outlook of finding another irrigation job is going to be scarce.

We will go to 1 install crew and 2 service techs, with the techs helping on larger installs as necessary. This will keep the other truck on the road and allow us to take some of the service work that we normally turn down. They had said that our economy here in Oklahoma was holding better than most of the country but I guess it has finally hit.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Tough call. I feel for you. There is a need for good sevice techs in Dallas if they can't find anything where you guys are. Dallas economy seems to be holding up but my installer buddies are doing more service which is usually the indicator of a downturn for me.

DanaMac
06-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Now that is the response I was looking for when I brought back up the 2008 Outlook post. Not necessarily what you have mentioned, but just the general state of how things are going this spring. Good/bad, struggling/exceeding, etc. Just wanting to gauge the economy.

Waterit
06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Here in the land of sunshine, where irrigation is an accident waiting to happen, we are S-L-O-W.
We usually average 3 installs/week plus OT for service tech. Down to 1 sometimes 2 per week and have to squeeze 40 for tech. Let my 3d man go from install crew last week, tech filling in as needed. And it doesn't look like it's going to improve any time soon...

Flow Control
06-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Our service and residential installs are off this year by 30%, commercial work is steady. We usually run 6 days a week and are cutting back to 4 days a week for service. Figuring that working a 4 day week at 10+ hr are better for both the workers and the fuel card.

Residentials are slim pickings and I only have another month or so of commercial work. I already have more work lined up next summer then I probably will have for the entire 08 season.

DanaMac
06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Figuring that working a 4 day week at 10+ hr are better for both the workers and the fuel card.

That's what we'll be doing after next week or so. Gotta cut the fuel and overtime costs. and hell, they're already working 10 hour days.

Mike Leary
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Gotta cut the fuel and overtime costs..

That seems to be the norm around here; fuel is killing bottom line.

aric43085
06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Any of you guys charging a fuel charge to the customer?

Flow Control
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM

We are charging the price of a gallon, so right now we are charging 4-4.5 on each bill. And have have not had anyone question it and we are at 300+ start ups ytd.

nylan8888
06-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Haven't charged for fuel per se but did raise our service call from $65.00 to $85.00 as of 5/21/08 to off set the pain. Still not enough but $20.00 is a heck of a bump.

Mike Leary
06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Still not enough but $20.00 is a heck of a bump.

$4.91 for fuel around here, if you've a diesel, even worse. Don't worry
about the bump, we can't absorb it & still make a living.

nylan8888
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
$4.91 for fuel around here, if you've a diesel, even worse. Don't worry
about the bump, we can't absorb it & still make a living.

Very true but I don't want to price myself right out of the game. I guess I am worried some of my long term customers might balk at the hike and check out another company,

greenmonster304
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Haven't charged for fuel per se but did raise our service call from $65.00 to $85.00 as of 5/21/08 to off set the pain. Still not enough but $20.00 is a heck of a bump.

I guess i dont understand what you are saying but how can an aditional $20 per call not be enough to cover you increased fuel cost? How far apart are you customers, how big is your service area?

DanaMac
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I guess I am worried some of my long term customers might balk at the hike and check out another company,

Same here, but I think we are going to raise the service call rate for new customers at least. Granted, we are only at $60. Maybe up it to $70.

nylan8888
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Same here, but I think we are going to raise the service call rate for new customers at least. Granted, we are only at $60. Maybe up it to $70.

Not trying to tell you your business but you might add it up.
$16.00/ hr for tech
$15.00 Gas maybe more
Workers comp
General Liability
Payroll taxes
Truck and equipment and insurance
Cell phones and office

I figure I am close to $45.00 to roll to a service call before the company even makes a dime. Even if you are the one doing the service, the COMPANY still needs to make a profit.

lifetree
06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Interesting thread !!

Tom Tom
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
$15.00 Gas maybe more

$15 gas per service call? How far is one of your service trucks driving in a day?

Mike Leary
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
If I was still running my show @ $80.00, I'd be thinking about a $10.00 bump for service
calls. Geez, how are you going to make it without profit? :dizzy:

Mdirrigation
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
What were you all doing in 1981 ? I was starting a irrigation company , Things were tight , intrest rates over 14% , gas just broke over $ 1.00 per gallon , most gas pumps wouldnt register over ninety nine cents. My burkeen plow was $22,000 I took the gamble and , I am still out here . I stayed small , some of my competition did get rather large , they are hurting.

I ran old used trucks , painted them up nice , got them cheap ran them into the ground , started to make great money , still ran the old cheap trucks .
Now things seem to be getting tight , Am i scaling back ? I am actually gearing up , why , I am getting experienced tecs looking for work , And getting customers tired of dealing with companies that got too big for their britches . I am swamped with service work , the hell with the installs let the others fight over them . I am sitting here with NO DEBT , 5 trucks ready to go , and people willing to work . I started an add campaign 3 months ago going after service work ONLY . Does gas bother me , a bit , but rising gas prices were figured into my equasion 2 years ago.

Dont complain about things slowing down , gas rising , be pro active before your competition beats you to it . Back in the 80's we fought for the work , it wasnt anything like the last 7 years. The gravy is gone , time to fight for the meat.

Mike Leary
06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
What were you all doing in 1981 ? I was starting a irrigation company , Things were tight , intrest rates over 14% , gas just broke over $ 1.00 per gallon , most gas pumps wouldnt register over ninety nine cents. My burkeen plow was $22,000 I took the gamble and , I am still out here . I stayed small , some of my competition did get rather large , they are hurting.

I ran old used trucks , painted them up nice , got them cheap ran them into the ground , started to make great money , still ran the old cheap trucks .
Now things seem to be getting tight , Am i scaling back ? I am actually gearing up , why , I am getting experienced tecs looking for work , And getting customers tired of dealing with companies that got too big for their britches . I am swamped with service work , the hell with the installs let the others fight over them . I am sitting here with NO DEBT , 5 trucks ready to go , and people willing to work . I started an add campaign 3 months ago going after service work ONLY . Does gas bother me , a bit , but rising gas prices were figured into my equasion 2 years ago.

Dont complain about things slowing down , gas rising , be pro active before your competition beats you to it . Back in the 80's we fought for the work , it wasnt anything like the last 7 years. The gravy is gone , time to fight for the meat.

So?........you misspelled equation.:hammerhead:

nylan8888
06-02-2008, 11:11 PM
$15 gas per service call? How far is one of your service trucks driving in a day?

75-125 miles. My shop is 20 miles east of the city. Parts house is on the extreme north or the extreme south sides of the city, aprox. 34 miles between the two locations. Unlike most cities, everything here is very spread out.

DanaMac
06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
$15.00 Gas maybe more

This can not be per call. That equals more than three gallons per service call.

For our city, my $60 first half hour, and $60 per hour after that is on the high side.

Not trying to tell YOU how to run your business, but maybe you need to find a way to cut some costs. :)

DanaMac
06-03-2008, 12:15 AM
And getting customers tired of dealing with companies that got too big for their britches . I am swamped with service work , the hell with the installs let the others fight over them . I am sitting here with NO DEBT , 5 trucks ready to go , and people willing to work . I started an add campaign 3 months ago going after service work ONLY . Does gas bother me , a bit , but rising gas prices were figured into my equasion 2 years ago.

I have been told twice this year I "had gotten too big for my britches" when I told a couple customers I was over two weeks out.

Waterit
06-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I have been told twice this year I "had gotten too big for my britches" when I told a couple customers I was over two weeks out.

And what's wrong with being 2 weeks out? We usually run 3-4 weeks out, but with work so thin it's more like 1-1/2 to 2 right now.

It irks me when someone calls and the first question is "Can you get someone here today?". Sure, for a premium, which of course they don't want to pay.

I charge $75 for the first hr including travel time and 65 per thereafter, full hours only. Why not? Are we not as skilled and needed as plumbers, electricians, and AC guys? They charge MORE per hour here - PLUS a trip charge.

Kiril
06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Average for diesel in these parts is $5.15 :cry:

Wet_Boots
06-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Average for diesel in these parts is $5.15 :cry:I thought you traveled by magnet power :)
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6483/magnetboy2cz3.gif

Kiril
06-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I wish. Need to fill up tomorrow, probably will cost $150 or more. :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
06-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I only fill one tank at a time, so I've been saved from the triple-digit-fillup so far.

nylan8888
06-03-2008, 06:39 AM
This can not be per call. That equals more than three gallons per service call.

For our city, my $60 first half hour, and $60 per hour after that is on the high side.

Not trying to tell YOU how to run your business, but maybe you need to find a way to cut some costs. :)

Our service truck, 2004 Chevy 2500HD w/ 6.0 litre, gets 8-10 mpg. It burns about $50 - $60 a day, divide that by minimum of 4 service calls per day and I get $15/per, if we do a bunch of small jobs it works out a little better but that is not the norm. Bought it new back in 03 during the boom. Its paid for, so to change to a different vehicle we would have to overcome the cost of purchase and I can't justify it. I can't move my shop and I can't move my supplier. If you have any suggestions I am open to them.

DanaMac
06-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Our service truck, 2004 Chevy 2500HD w/ 6.0 litre, gets 8-10 mpg. It burns about $50 - $60 a day, divide that by minimum of 4 service calls per day and I get $15/per, if we do a bunch of small jobs it works out a little better but that is not the norm. Bought it new back in 03 during the boom. Its paid for, so to change to a different vehicle we would have to overcome the cost of purchase and I can't justify it. I can't move my shop and I can't move my supplier. If you have any suggestions I am open to them.

Hey I was just giving you back a little dig. :)

We have vehicles that get around 15 gpm. We tend to average about 6-7 calls a day because we cluster them together, thus reducing drive time and fuel costs. We TYPICALLY though have all three of us doing more like 7-8 homes a day. My shop is fairly inexpensive, it is located about 2-2.5 miles from 2 suppliers, 2 miles from one employees home, and .5 miles from the interstate. I intentionally got one centrally located to reduce fuel cost and drive time. It is completely out of the way though for myself, but I go there less than anyone.

I haven't had the time to check average or total fuel costs this spring, but I can guarantee I'm not spending $50 a day per vehicle. Even myself who drives more than the other two. I fill up every 3-4 days at $75-$85. and that is also my personal vehicle.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-03-2008, 08:25 AM

One thing I've always done different than others is to leave time open to allow me to sell add-ons, improvements, etc. I bought an f-250 in 2000. In 7 years I only put 90,000 miles on it. I always figured that the job I was at was the most profitable job to be on. Avoid drive time and increase billing per actual time worked. I have my service tech trained to evaluate his day by hours worked and hours billed. We shoot for 75% but have been higher and it is always due to extended time on the same job. Two 3 hour jobs is far more profitable than 6 1 hour jobs. It would take 10 hours to achieve the 6 1 hour jobs but only 7 to achieve the 2 3 hour jobs. Every time you leave a job with the intention of finishing it later is a 100 bill thrown into the wind. My rules are avoid over scheduling. Allow time to sell add ons. If the day goes faster than planned you can always bring work forward. Trying to reschedule additional work in an already overloaded schedule just causes more unfinished invoices and multiple trips to the same job. When the economy slows down selling skills must go up. This requires a well stocked truck and knowledgeable irrigation techniques. UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE. I've never seen a system that couldn't use some upgrading.
Sprinkler systems are never finished. They are just brought to an invoice.

Kiril
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I can't agree more Peter. :clapping:

SprinklerGuy
06-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Just for curiousities sake Dana....

Figure out the mileage each truck drives, including yourself....try to figure out your daily costs....than knock that down to hourly or per service call based on how many service calls you average per day....you might find that you ARE leaving dough on the table. I cannot argue with your success.....but, I think you are still too cheap. I know what you are going through...but folks WILL understand....everything else costs them more right now...why not a 75 service call?

Trust me on this.....if you raise to 75 and lose some customers..so be it, you will still be better off. I have been there and screwed up.....if I had to do it again, this is what I would do.

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Trust me on this.....if you raise to 75 and lose some customers..so be it, you will still be better off. I have been there and screwed up.....if I had to do it again, this is what I would do.

Tony speaks the truth, we're $80.00, the pump service tech is 125 to show
for first hr., then 90 thereafter. Any you guys check what the plumbers &
electricians are going for? Most of us on the forum have certainly as much
experience as they do and should be compensated for it. Don't sell yourself
short. :nono::drinkup:

WalkGood
06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Tony speaks the truth, we're $80.00, the pump service tech is 125 to show
for first hr., then 90 thereafter. Any you guys check what the plumbers &
electricians are going for? Most of us on the forum have certainly as much
experience as they do and should be compensated for it. Don't sell yourself
short. :nono::drinkup:

Experience in years maybe. But Master Plumbers and Master Electricians are completely different areas/disciplines/licensing/training/insurance. How is your experience in irrigation the same?

Now before you get your panties in a bunch, I'm not saying that having an irrigation business doesn't take knowledge. And running the business certainly has high costs of overhead like insurance, fuel, tools , training, computers, etc.

Keep the "argument" to what it takes to be/have an irrigation business that is knowledgeable and gets the job done correctly and on time in a professional manner. Nobody ever wins this argument by comparing themselves to a different service industry.

k911lowe
06-03-2008, 01:57 PM
quite doing installs and concentrated on maintenance in the well to do neighborhoods.have been pretty much unaffected by the economy,except gas prices have cut into profit;however i pass the cost on to new maintenance customers.still making a living.wont get rich but you cant take it with you.

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Experience in years maybe..

You missed the point, all I meant was trades that are related to ours
traditionally make a ton more money & we should not be paranoid about
making a living wage, rather than demeaning ourselves. :)

Waterit
06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
You missed the point, all I meant was trades that are related to ours traditionally make a ton more money & we should not be paranoid about making a living wage, rather than demeaning ourselves. :)

Right on, Mr. Leary, well said. We're always treated like the red-headed step-child of the construction industry.

FYI - I pay the exact same liability rate and workers comp. rate as a plumber - not a gas guy, he has more exposure. When rating us, they look at our being underground as a minus (can't see what you might hit, I guess.) Plumbers have a fraction of the underground exposure we do. And don't have digital controllers with sensors to program, either - as long as it doesn't leak and flows downhill, they've done a good job.

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
We are "Last on-site subs", or "LOSS".

WalkGood
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
You missed the point, all I meant was trades that are related to ours
traditionally make a ton more money & we should not be paranoid about
making a living wage, rather than demeaning ourselves. :)

We are on the same page! :)

Unfortunately some consumers do not see/know what it takes to have a proper licensed business.

Like just said, go after the customers that do not nickel-n-dime complain.

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Like just said, go after the customers that do not nickel-n-dime complain.

Besides being mechanics, we are also educators and salesmen.:clapping:

Tom Tom
06-03-2008, 07:33 PM
One thing I've always done different than others is to leave time open to allow me to sell add-ons, improvements, etc. I bought an f-250 in 2000. In 7 years I only put 90,000 miles on it. I always figured that the job I was at was the most profitable job to be on. Avoid drive time and increase billing per actual time worked. I have my service tech trained to evaluate his day by hours worked and hours billed. We shoot for 75% but have been higher and it is always due to extended time on the same job. Two 3 hour jobs is far more profitable than 6 1 hour jobs. It would take 10 hours to achieve the 6 1 hour jobs but only 7 to achieve the 2 3 hour jobs. Every time you leave a job with the intention of finishing it later is a 100 bill thrown into the wind. My rules are avoid over scheduling. Allow time to sell add ons. If the day goes faster than planned you can always bring work forward. Trying to reschedule additional work in an already overloaded schedule just causes more unfinished invoices and multiple trips to the same job. When the economy slows down selling skills must go up. This requires a well stocked truck and knowledgeable irrigation techniques. UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE. I've never seen a system that couldn't use some upgrading.

Just shows how different areas of the US are.

Colder markets go thru the startup/winterizing phases were its difficult to just get every startup call scheduled.

It would be nearly impossible to schedule just 2 or 3 jobs a day in the spring and then try to upsell all the good stuff.

How do you handle those repeat customers that you've upsold already? On average how often do you visit each of your properties?

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Tom;2354991 On average how often do you visit each of your properties?[/QUOTE]

Monthly, unless the lawn/maintenance crews call us.

Mark B
06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Finally a great thread... Where most are not bashing. I do monthly service on my comm sites. All the residential sites are setup on as need basis. I will see them maybe 3 times a yr max.. I hope the goof balls keep slapping in installs.

It has been slow for me as far as lighting and irrigation goes. But we are just coming out of a big brought and the rain has been fairly steady. So I guess customers are not thinking about irrigation yet.

DanaMac
06-03-2008, 09:37 PM

Different markets, different climates. With our cold climate area, we need as many customers as possible so that we can have a large list for blow outs to carry us through the winter (if we don't work, which I don't). I also have a 75+ list of upgrades, changes, add ons that we will start on end of this month, carrying into late July, maybe August. September is usually slow here because people do not want to spend money on the system when they shut it down in 1-2 months. So we are usually trying to find work at that time. I actually have 2 installs lined up for later this season for existing customers with bad systems.

As Tom said, it is too difficult to stay onsite and push upgrades when we are slammed with start ups and freeze repairs. You have the luxury of just having systems run continuously and not having the freeze damage issues to deal with.

DanaMac
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I am swamped with service work , the hell with the installs let the others fight over them .

I haven't installed since 2002. Except for a couple friends. BUT I have two for later this season to keep my guys busy, existing systems that are crap.

AI Inc
06-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Different markets, different climates. With our cold climate area, we need as many customers as possible so that we can have a large list for blow outs to carry us through the winter (if we don't work, which I don't). I also have a 75+ list of upgrades, changes, add ons that we will start on end of this month, carrying into late July, maybe August. September is usually slow here because people do not want to spend money on the system when they shut it down in 1-2 months. So we are usually trying to find work at that time. I actually have 2 installs lined up for later this season for existing customers with bad systems.

As Tom said, it is too difficult to stay onsite and push upgrades when we are slammed with start ups and freeze repairs. You have the luxury of just having systems run continuously and not having the freeze damage issues to deal with.

Pretty much the same here but aug is our slow month. The phone starts ringing real good for installs in sept the day after school starts back up.
I do the same as Dana, upsell during the start up and scedule it for june /July.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Pretty much the same here but aug is our slow month. The phone starts ringing real good for installs in sept the day after school starts back up.
I do the same as Dana, upsell during the start up and scedule it for june /July.

I would follow this model as well in your area. My post was more geared to warm weather guys. I think my model in the north would be very fuel efficient vehicles set up to do quick turnons and minimal repair to get the system going. With a pigtail installed I would do a quick analysis of the system. Give them a quote on a water conservation upgrade and SL timer with WMonitor. Follow up the quote after turn ons slow down and sell, sell, sell. Have trailers available with a full complement of upgrade products such as MPs, 1804 sams, etc. etc. Easier said than done obviously. The blowout equipment is the big doozy up north. Have not been able to put together the most cost effective blowout method in my head yet. I will say that pigtails and RM remotes that allow multiple zone turn ons at once seem like a nice addition. What if someone agreed to an overhaul would you be interested in a yearly service contract (3 visits/year/turn on,summer check up,blowout.) that assured them of fixed costs in relationship to there system?

AI Inc
06-04-2008, 06:43 AM
When blowing out systems , a lot of times we just open the valve boxes and open 3-4-5 zones at a time. 95% of customers we blow out are not home and do not have to be sceduled. We stack em untill the truck can stay in the same town all day.
In my area water conservation isnt realy that big of a deal yet. It will eventualy become one as more towns go to sewers but few have so far.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-04-2008, 06:46 AM
When blowing out systems , a lot of times we just open the valve boxes and open 3-4-5 zones at a time. 95% of customers we blow out are not home and do not have to be sceduled. We stack em untill the truck can stay in the same town all day.
In my area water conservation isnt realy that big of a deal yet. It will eventualy become one as more towns go to sewers but few have so far.

I forget about the manifolds. Do you shut the bleeds for the winter or leave them open?

AI Inc
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
I forget about the manifolds. Do you shut the bleeds for the winter or leave them open?

Definatly shut em. We also use almost all pro c exteriors . Bouncing thru zones can keep 3-4 zones open at once.

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 07:21 AM

Easier to use manifolds than controller or remote. during blowouts I am moving like a friggin' mad man. I'd either lose or break the remote. and most our controllers here are inside and that would mean having to talk with the customer :laugh: I can usually just pull up, hook the hose, open 2-5 zones, blow and go.

AI Inc
06-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Talking to the customer usualy takes longer then the blow out.lol

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Talking to the customer usualy takes longer then the blow out.lol

Oh by far. Even during repairs it kills me to talk to the customer. Had one guy talk to me for 10 minutes yesterday AFTER I told him I was running behind due to his job. I don't need to hear about his roof tiles, and Italian masons, and his wife's medical conditions.

Without A Drought
06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I told a guy the other day that our convo was costing him 125 an hour... he went inside rather quickly.

pg

Waterit
06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Wasted 20 minutes on an install today re-explaining to the HO - a high school science teacher - how we were going to do what we had already almost half done. I mentioned that I would have to charge him more for some adds he wanted to make, the convo got extended even more. Finally told him if we continued talking I'd have to skip the close-out orientation (what I like to call show-and-tell). He was in the house in about 10 seconds flat.

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
And I've tried to be respectful of time to others since I have had my company and really found this out. I just don't think other people understand what they are doing when they waste our time. I try not to talk up my mechanic too much. Tell him what's wrong, and leave.

Mike Leary
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM
You don't waste, you charge....we are on the clock, after all. Good clients are one
thing, you enjoy being with them, they've paid promptly, big deal.

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 08:35 PM
You don't waste, you charge....we are on the clock, after all. Good clients are one
thing, you enjoy being with them, they've paid promptly, big deal.

No. My time is wasted when I have 6 other people waiting for me.

Mike Leary
06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
No. My time is wasted when I have 6 other people waiting for me.

I bet you're a lot of fun to be around during the season.:rolleyes:

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I bet you're a lot of fun to be around during the season.:rolleyes:

Oh I'm a bowl full of fun right now. I am at he point right now where I just want to drop it all. I get that way right bout now every year. It will pass soon. I'm intentionally scaling back my schedule, and means telling people "no". Camping next weekend, and then 10 days in Montana in July will make me better :)

I will be doing some serious changes later in the year. All from a little help/advice from a lot of you. Change pricing, fire customers, require upgrading some systems or we drop them, add some pigtails, etc.

Mike Leary
06-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh I'm a bowl full of fun right now. I am at he point right now where I just want to drop it all.

We know, it's the season, hang in there, it will pass.:)

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 09:49 PM
We know, it's the season, hang in there, it will pass.:)

I know. I know.

good thing is my new office assistant (sister) flies in tomorrow. Now I have to find time to train her.

Wet_Boots
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I know. I know.

good thing is my new office assistant (sister) flies in tomorrow. Now I have to find time to train her.Paging Rotar....

AI Inc
06-05-2008, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=Waterit;2357070] Finally told him if we continued talking I'd have to skip the close-out orientation (what I like to call show-and-tell). QUOTE]

I call that the train and collect.

AI Inc
06-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Oh I'm a bowl full of fun right now. I am at he point right now where I just want to drop it all. I get that way right bout now every year. It will pass soon. I'm intentionally scaling back my schedule, and means telling people "no". Camping next weekend, and then 10 days in Montana in July will make me better :)

I will be doing some serious changes later in the year. All from a little help/advice from a lot of you. Change pricing, fire customers, require upgrading some systems or we drop them, add some pigtails, etc.

We are past heell month here. June is always an enjoyable month for me and employees no longer think Im a dick as they do in April/may.

DanaMac
06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
We are past heell month here. June is always an enjoyable month for me and employees no longer think Im a dick as they do in April/may.

For some reason it is really stretching into June for me. We're STILL getting the calls for starts up that people want RIGHT NOW. and it's June 5th. Shoulda thought about that a month ago.

I haven't been a jerk to my guys this year. It's been more towards the customer. i've gotten into it a few times over the phone and even in person. Some can't understand that in April when we set it up, water needs are different than now, so the grass starts to dry out. THEY need to change the settings, not me. Even if we get paid to go back for 10 minutes of work, it cuts into taking care of everyone else.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
For some reason it is really stretching into June for me. We're STILL getting the calls for starts up that people want RIGHT NOW. and it's June 5th. Shoulda thought about that a month ago.

I haven't been a jerk to my guys this year. It's been more towards the customer. i've gotten into it a few times over the phone and even in person. Some can't understand that in April when we set it up, water needs are different than now, so the grass starts to dry out. THEY need to change the settings, not me. Even if we get paid to go back for 10 minutes of work, it cuts into taking care of everyone else.

I have a feeling J. Wingfield has the solution for this problem.

DanaMac
06-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I have a feeling J. Wingfield has the solution for this problem.

Like what? Buying me company for gobs of money? :laugh:

irrig8r
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Our governor officially declared a drought yesterday, signing an executive order.

In years past, this meant a lot of folks converting systems to drip, at least to keep trees and shrubs alive.

Maybe this time it will be an opportunity to sell more smart controllers and MP rotators. Maybe water auditing will become profitable.

It also means a few people deciding to put off landscaping, and those crews looking for something to do and getting into repairs...

Maybe I'll end up doing more lighting...

In any case, it's good to be diversified.

Kiril
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Our governor officially declared a drought yesterday, signing an executive order.

Really? Is this state wide, or just specific regions?

Mike Leary
06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Really? Is this state wide, or just specific regions?

:::Hummer pulls into Kiril's driveway, guy gets out and says "hasta la irrigation, baby.":::

Tom Tom
06-05-2008, 06:58 PM
:::Hummer pulls into Kiril's driveway, guy gets out and says "hasta la irrigation, baby.":::

thats pretty damn funny:laugh: