PDA

View Full Version : Booster Pump Replacement

mduff
06-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Not knowing anything much about boosters, I need to replace a Davey HS18-30H1. It didnt last much beyond 3 years apparently and they want a different brand. Do you guys have any recommendations for a like model but different manufacturer? They use it for their home and sprinkler system only.

AI Inc
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
goulds j10

Wet_Boots
06-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Goulds J series is a great pump, but you might only need a 1/2-HP model, and Goulds makes two of them. The high-head model gets more pressure at the cost of some flow.

mduff
06-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Wow! Thanks for such a quick reply. This is a great forum that you have established.

I have noticed that there is a 1 HP (J10), 3/4 HP (J7) and a 1/2 HP (J5) model. How can I determine how much HP I actually need. The price variance is quite significant so I know my client would be interested in saving a few if they could.

Thanks again.

Valveman
06-03-2008, 08:55 AM
The Davey pump is not that much different from any other, and all pumps are pretty much just copies of each other. It is that "flow sensor" controller on the Davey that causes them not to last very long. A small leak such as a dripping faucet, running toilet, or leaking sprinkler valve will cause that pump to cycle rapidly until it is toast. I would recommend a regular pressure switch and bladder tank control system. A Cycle Stop Valve will allow you to use a smaller tank, vary the sprinkler zones to match the yard not the pump, and give constant pressure for the house.