PDA

View Full Version : Hunter PGP rotor problem

jkats13
06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I had an irrigation system installed last fall by a contractor. One of my Hunter PGP rotors stopped rotating yesterday. My contractor has not been responsive to my calls and I need to get it fixed asap since I just had my entire lawn reinstalled and I need to keep the yard watered twice a day. I had to shut this particular zone down while I get this issue resolved.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot the problem on my own or is the head shot?

Thanks.

jimmyburg
06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
replace it and give him the bill

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
It will be either a full-circle or adjustable (adj) head, change-out just the guts, body
can stay put. When you buy the PGP you will get instructions for adjusting & a key to
make the adjustments. Piece of cake.

jkats13
06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a key and have followed the directions already to adjust several heads. Once you don't have any grass on the ground its easy to see in the soil where the water is not hitting well and which heads the radius needs to be fine tuned.

From researching this forum, sounds like that the PGP head is, although not common, prone to failure by either non rotation or leaking at the shroud.

From what I am hearing, there is no way to take it apart to fix the current head without replacing the entire head or the internal guts.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the parts required from an irrigation supplier.

Jim

Mike Leary
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
From researching this forum, sounds like that the PGP head is, although not common, prone to failure by either non rotation or leaking at the shroud.
From what I am hearing, there is no way to take it apart to fix the current head without replacing the entire head or the internal guts.
Jim

I've installed 100's of PGPs & found them to be no more prone to failure
than equal-priced heads. Mowers & weed eaters are their enemy. Bite the bullet, replace the entire guts.

WalkGood
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Unfortunately I do not have access to the parts required from an irrigation supplier.

Jim

Just buy a new head, unscrew the top and replace the whole internal assembly. You can even buy a single head on eBay, delivered right to your doorstep/mailbox.

Usually it is debris in the line or sand/dirt getting sucked into a head that is set too low in the ground. Ruins the gears and/or the seal.

DanaMac
06-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Just buy a new head, unscrew the top and replace the whole internal assembly. You can even buy a single head on eBay, delivered right to your doorstep/mailbox.

Usually it is debris in the line or sand/dirt getting sucked into a head that is set too low in the ground. Ruins the gears and/or the seal.

You need it now right? Go to HD or Lowes and get something comparable and install for the time being. Change it out later to a PGP if you want. Do what you gotta do to get it done.

AI Inc
06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I have a key and have followed the directions already to adjust several heads. Once you don't have any grass on the ground its easy to see in the soil where the water is not hitting well and which heads the radius needs to be fine tuned.

Jim

Do the contractor a favor. Flag the head that needs replacement and call him and leave a message that you have flagged it. He will probably get someone there quicker if he knows its just a driveby that dosnt need a return call or a sceduled appointment.

Mdirrigation
06-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Call another contractor

Wet_Boots
06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Isn't this warranty work?

DanaMac
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Isn't this warranty work?

But if the contractor won't return the call, he's gotta get it done somewhere else.

Wet_Boots
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Two days from discovery to pressing the panic button is overreaction. Some of these sprinkler guys are in full spring rush.

Kiril
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Two days from discovery to pressing the panic button is overreaction. Some of these sprinkler guys are in full spring rush.

.... or he is getting the typical CCSWS (Contractor Cold Shoulder Warranty Service)

jkats13
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will see what I can do.

Wet_Boots
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
.... or he is getting the typical CCSWS (Contractor Cold Shoulder Warranty Service)Could be, but it's early days yet. Since the overwhelming majority of non-rotating Hunter PGPs are dead the moment the system is first turned on in the spring, one can wonder why it was first noticed in June. Notice it in April, and there's plenty of time to set things right.