PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and Stratton Itek OHV motors

joed
12-27-2001, 08:15 PM
What opinion do all of you have regarding the Briggs and Stratton OHV Intek engine? This is the engined used on the Toro Proline 21" unit (6.5 hp). Towards the end of last season, the one on my Toro 21" unit seemed to be losing power which translated into a poorer cut due to reduced blade speed. It also was troublesome to start unless primed properly. Never seem to have these problems on my Kawasaki on my Deere.

KDJ
12-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Kawasaki

johnnywalker
12-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Some of the early 6.5 OHV Briggs on the Toro & Exmark 21's had valvetrain problems especially in the area of the valve cover gaskets. If your unit has the bumper guard it is likely not affected. You have to keep rpm's around 3000 or engine becomes extremely sluggish. The unaffected 6.5 OHV Briggs is a competent engine.

scagman
12-28-2001, 01:10 AM
I have a ariens 21" with the swivel wheels. It also has the 6.5 briggs sometimes it takes several pulls to start. Ill have to say that this is the worst piece of equipment Ive ever bought. cost was $650 and you know what makes me hate this mower even more I lost the damm receipt for taxtime

keifer
01-02-2002, 09:02 AM
The only input I have is the last 21proline i looked at had a kawi on it might have been a option.

Mark
01-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Ive got the Toro Proline with the 4-1/2hp Suzuki, but i have a 52" walkbehind with a Briggs Vanguard and im on my 9th yr with no major problems, infact its the best engine ive ever had, i don't think they put the vanguards on the 21s. Marks Mowing Service ps The Suzuki has been a great engine its 3yr old.

eslawns
01-04-2002, 01:02 AM
I have 2 small w/b mowers with this engine, and think it's awesome. It's quiet, easy to start, and doesn't bog down in high grass. The starter cord is a PITA to replace, but I haven't come across a perfect design yet.

Originally posted by scagman
I have a ariens 21" with the swivel wheels. It also has the 6.5 briggs sometimes it takes several pulls to start. Ill have to say that this is the worst piece of equipment Ive ever bought. cost was $650 and you know what makes me hate this mower even more I lost the damm receipt for taxtime

I realize we all have our preferences, but I couldn't disagree more with this post. I have one of these mowers also, and it is the best small w/b I've ever used. It's really a PITA to set up, and there are 2 design issues I think can be improved, but I don't think it took much to do that and it's far better than my old partners Toro or the JD I used to use. As far as the Briggs goes, I don't ever have a problem getting it to start. Push the primer a few times and it starts on the 1st pull. If his isn't, it probably needs a carb adjustment.