PDA

View Full Version : Lawn built on pond fill

momow
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
It's been five years this summer since the pond was dug, and front yard leveled with the spoil. It's been a struggle as the last two summers were extremely hot and dry. The clay spoil from the pond turned to something akin to concrete. Think the grass is finally going to fill in and put down Merit last night to control the grubs coming later. had 3/4" rain and the outlook seems good. Bought a new Lazer Z AS with 60" Ultracut deck three weeks ago after doing much research on this site. Just a homeowner, what do you pros think?

soccerlawn
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
looks really nice

Sydenstricker Landscaping
06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Holy crap that looks awesome!!!!!!!!:cool: For you being a homeowner, that looks like a pro did it, actually better than some pros do. Kudos to you for great work and may it look nice for a very, very long time!!!:waving:

momow
06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah I had to work pretty hard to get the clods busted down. The Gentleman who dug the pond seemed to only show up on rain days and left a big mess of clods as big as 5 gallon buckets . My trusty old Bolens 1050 and a old clod buster and lots of dragging got it to the point of pic #1. The day he left I asked if he was done, here's what he left me!

zemzabob
06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm not a pro but I can tell you this you did a great job on it nice work.

momow
06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks,

By the way when the "Gentleman" who did the digging failed to invoice me after 5 weeks I paid him his quoted price to the penny. After all he did dig the pond and leveled as per his quote. This one's from last fall, stripes compliments of my old Simplicity Sunstar R.I.P.

momow
06-03-2008, 11:24 PM
What's in the pond?

The bigger L.M. Bass are pushing 4 lbs.

Cats are 8 to 10 lbs.

Smallmouth Bass2 to 3 lbs.

Some nice Bluegill and Redear

1 Crappie 16" (transplanted from an Ice fishing trip a few years back)

And my all time favorite;

Pastaboy62
06-03-2008, 11:48 PM
you need some hybrid striped bass in there

momow
06-03-2008, 11:49 PM
*While I'm on a roll; (can't take any credit for these)

mag360
06-04-2008, 02:17 AM
*While I'm on a roll; (can't take any credit for these)

Did they turn up on your property? One of our customers has them every year too---can't remember the name but I know they are rare (at least in this area)

The lawn looks great BTW as does the entire property.

momow
06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks KLC99,

Yeah those show up in the 10 acre woods in front of my house every year around Mothers day. They are Morel mushrooms, and are quite the treat and real tasty coated in cracker crumbs and fryed in butter. I have 15 acres total, but only mow about 3-3.5. Thank goodness the woods takes care of its self. ( I do clean-up burning a bit in the fall, and burn wood in my shop in the barn.