PDA

View Full Version : Nobody does it better

S man
06-03-2008, 11:28 PM
My new exmark lazer z hp 46" with 19 kawi. One word......... Awsome! This 46" deck is a gift from God. I can get through 48" gates that would be impossible with a 48". Also the triton works very well. I tried discharging today and that stuff flew. Need a mulch kit for sure. This mower is well made. I love exmark. Got it out the door for $6523.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/lawnmowerman123456789/IMG_0965.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/lawnmowerman123456789/IMG_0964.jpg

THEGOLDPRO
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM
nice machine, does it bog at all or struggle on hills with the 19kawi or have you not really used it.

freshprince94
06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Freakin awesome Scott. Props to you!

And what height do you cut your St. Augustine accounts at? I do 3 and 7/8.

S man
06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Freakin awesome Scott. Props to you!

And what height do you cut your St. Augustine accounts at? I do 3 and 7/8.

I do 3" most of the time but actually go down to 2.75 on some lawns. They come out pretty good.

J&R Landscaping
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Damn, thats short... Grass is way way diff up here. lol...Nice mower.

S man
06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Damn, thats short... Grass is way way diff up here. lol...Nice mower.

Thanks. Yeah down here we cut very low. If I cut any higher than 3 it won't look cut.:dizzy:

THEGOLDPRO
06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
yeah i struggle to cut on 4" most of the time.

Lawn Enforcer
06-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Nice Exmark! That's the exact model I was going to get last year.

TwistedSister
06-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Dude, I think you buy more new equipment then all other 72,000 members on here put together. Must be fun to get to try out that many machines. Congrats! Looks like a great mower, now its time to get her dirty.:weightlifter:

TwistedSister
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I just noticed this, why are the blades red, I have never seen those before except on the j-thomas mulching blades. Is that what they are? All of my blades are black.

A-Land
06-04-2008, 12:07 AM
You have got to be kidding!!!!

What happened to the Dixon that you were in love with a week ago?!?!?!?!?

I have no idea what you are doing, but wish I had your capital.

I have watched you go through 4 ZTRs in a month or two. Some guys may never see 4 ZTRs in their entire career.

Uh so the question.... What are you doing???????????????

A-Land
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Additionally, how do you justify running a 7k ZTR? I have seen the properties that you do and they are all tiny, and you are in Louisiana so you already have a limited market. A 36" Walkbehind which you could get for less than half of that 7K soooooo easily is so much better than what you're running.

Do you have any kind of business plan or do you just like to see what drives the best?

Last thing..... You had a Dixon and pushed it on everybody, saying it was the best mower ever. You even trashed a few exmark guys... and now you have one??????

KS_Grasscutter
06-04-2008, 12:19 AM
If anyone wants to bet, I got $5 on 13 days...

Also, I guess it would be appropriate to bet on the next mower... still debating between putting my money on a 60" Lazer or a 34" Phazer.

A-Land
06-04-2008, 12:25 AM
When S man bought the dixon, he said it beats the phazer in every area "except cut quality." I love for a mower to be able to do a lot, but its gotta be able to cut grass correctly first.......

He already had a phazer that would be backtracking. Maybe a tigercub? cub tank? hell, show me a walker I wouldn't be shocked at all.

A-Land
06-04-2008, 12:29 AM
OMG I spoke too soon!!! Reading another thread only to come across........

Nice walker. That thing looks beastly!

KS_Grasscutter
06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Yep, most likely will be Walker IMO.

windsory
06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
If anyone wants to bet, I got $5 on 13 days...

Also, I guess it would be appropriate to bet on the next mower... still debating between putting my money on a 60" Lazer or a 34" Phazer.

ok I can put $5 on over 13 days and the next mower being a walker. I'll send you the money through Paypal. :waving:

KS_Grasscutter
06-04-2008, 12:34 AM
ok I can put $5 on over 13 days and the next mower being a walker. I'll send you the money through Paypal. :waving:

Dang, I dont have a paypal account. How about mail me cash or a mcdonalds gift card? I'll PM you my address if (when) I win the bet:laugh:

A-Land
06-04-2008, 12:37 AM

What if I only accept wire transfers? Just provide me with your SSN, address, name, any bank account numbers (with PIN numbers), and maybe a photocopy of your license. Then we can talk. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

windsory
06-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Dang, I dont have a paypal account. How about mail me cash or a mcdonalds gift card? I'll PM you my address if (when) I win the bet:laugh:

hahahah ok deal.

KrayzKajun
06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
bout time you made a good choice!!!

now stop buying mowers and cut some grass

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-04-2008, 12:48 AM
bout time you made a good choice!!!

now stop buying mowers and cut some grass

HAHA, he copied off you jacob. yall have the same mower i think.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-04-2008, 12:51 AM
nice machine, does it bog at all or struggle on hills with the 19kawi or have you not really used it.

Hey, i dont know if scott answered ya, but we cut in the same area, and we dont have hills here.

S man
06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I just noticed this, why are the blades red, I have never seen those before except on the j-thomas mulching blades. Is that what they are? All of my blades are black.

I don't really know, they are exmark lift blades. 46 is an unusual cut so they must be exmark. My snapper and toro blades are also red. some are black.

S man
06-04-2008, 01:06 AM
When S man bought the dixon, he said it beats the phazer in every area "except cut quality." I love for a mower to be able to do a lot, but its gotta be able to cut grass correctly first.......

He already had a phazer that would be backtracking. Maybe a tigercub? cub tank? hell, show me a walker I wouldn't be shocked at all.

Dude can you read? I said I retracted that statement in my last picture thread. I made a mistake and liked the phazer better. Big deal I learned a lesson. Now I'm ready to make some serious money with the stuff I have. Also if anyone's betting I guess I'll win because this mower ain't going nowhere.

I still don't get it. Everyone tells me why did you get a dixon? get a real mower blah blah blah. Okay I got a real mower. Happy?

S man
06-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh Goldpro, The engine is powerful but does bog down slightly when running over grass and the discharge pass you make.

Mowerboy04
06-04-2008, 01:26 AM
[QUOTE=KS_Grasscutter;2355633]If anyone wants to bet, I got $5 on 13 days...

where can i get on the 13 day bet :rolleyes:

also:
wow...... i thought u were suppose to only get a new mower after it has like 2000 plus hours on it did i miss something some where? in my oppion your wasteing your money big time, you buy a 6,000 dollar dixen you keep it for a week now and i'm assumeing you either traded it in or sold it and i bet you lost your butt on it because the second you take a mower out of the show room they loose there value like crazzy. Then you go by a exmark..... you shoud demo machines before you buy they to make sure you like them.

KS_Grasscutter
06-04-2008, 01:29 AM
I still don't get it. Everyone tells me why did you get a dixon? get a real mower blah blah blah. Okay I got a real mower. Happy?

Well there is your damn problem. You are doing what makes us lawnsite people happy, and not what works for your business. I don't give a damn if someone in some other state likes my mowers, it's all about what performs in my area.

And FWIW, I think you woulda been better off putting a catcher on your Dixon, and keeping it. Then it woulda cut great, just like any other mower. So I guess to answer your question, no, I for one am not happy. Why don't you go out and buy another mower?:dizzy:

CALandscapes
06-04-2008, 01:35 AM
I personally think that you need a Walker.

Quit pussyfooting around and go buy the best!

02DURAMAX
06-04-2008, 02:13 AM
sorry bud, but i dont see you having that mower long..maybe 2weeks tops!

JRS Landscaping
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
man talk about spending money, i think i spoil myself buying a "new" used mower ever 2-3 seasons, but 4 ztr's in a month damn.

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
he is doing the classic young guy starting a new lawncare business spending WAYYYYYYYYYY too much money right off the bat. i'd be willing to bet he is making less then he paying out for the equipment.

i have seen the young guys go alittle too crazy buying stuff that they dont need and flopping hard. in this case with the size lawns you do a ztr isn't needed its nice to have but not needed, you would have been better off with a nice walk behind for half the price.

when i started off i only had a few small accounts and bought a used 48inch bobcat a 4x8 trailer and towed it with an 88 chevy blazer. then the next year i got amore accounts bought a new walkbehind and so on and so forth i only bought equipment as NEEDED.

The name of the game is keeping you're overhead low and you're profits high.

DoetschOutdoor
06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
GREAT! Another thread about one person who we have seen about 4 lawns (not of the best quality) that he maintains. Its like everyday I dont come to lawnsite, I come back the next day and S man has 5 threads about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
If you did the 3 year payment plan from exmark your payments are in the ball park of 200 a month. Add in the rest of your expenses you should be having, I bet you could be making more money working at a local job. Why bother?

Blueribbonlawns
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
What did you do with the Phazer,stander,dixon?
Hmmm interesting strategy lets see if it works out for you.
Oh and also when do you have time to mow lawns your always at the dealer or do you mow at night?
But what i think is funny is he has bought 3 different mowers in the time i have bin thinking about buying exhaust for my truck and it only costs $670!!

freshprince94
06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Scott actually MADE money off the sales if you read his last thread. So no loss there. He had said he loved his Stander but the 34 Dixon would work out better for him. So he bought the Dixon, he didn't like the way it performed, and he sold it. The only questionable thing was not demoing the Dixon.

Lay off guys. This thread was about a new mower.

And whoever said he has 4 accounts, I believe he has 35.

A-Land
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Scott actually MADE money off the sales if you read his last thread. So no loss there. He had said he loved his Stander but the 34 Dixon would work out better for him. So he bought the Dixon, he didn't like the way it performed, and he sold it. The only questionable thing was not demoing the Dixon.

Lay off guys. This thread was about a new mower.

And whoever said he has 4 accounts, I believe he has 35.

Scott was getting absolutely harpooned.... I would say I sold it for more too. Bottom line, you cannot buy a brand NEW mower, use it, and sell it for more. I can even give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did it once... but 3 times ?!?!?!?!?!? I think he actually said he "recovered some of the debt."

Something tells me this is not Scott's money that is moving around.......

A-Land
06-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Dude can you read? I said I retracted that statement in my last picture thread. I made a mistake and liked the phazer better. Big deal I learned a lesson. Now I'm ready to make some serious money with the stuff I have. Also if anyone's betting I guess I'll win because this mower ain't going nowhere.

Hello? Is anybody home?? Hello??? Hello????

This is not court, you cannot "retract a statement." You screamed this way and that way about every piece of equipment that came along and told us how what we used sucked and what you had was the epitome of equipment. Now, we all told you that you were wrong, and you didn't pay attention to any of us. Now you get an exmark and "retract" that statement? Your business plan is just a joke, "dude." We were all right, and now you come on here like you were right. Yeah, right!!

P.S. - I would never, ever, make a bet with you because I would be afraid you would steal the money in the pot to buy another ZTR!!

Green Finger
06-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Nice machine. Congrats

grass2cash
06-04-2008, 09:52 PM
"this where you want to be when Jesus comes back? Making fun of S man..." - Joe Dirt LOL!!

Dude, you live and learn... nice mower by the way.

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
i would be willing to bet he never bought any of those mowers they were prolly all demos and he was trying to impress us by making us think he bought em. if not i wish my daddy would throw away money on me like his dad is doing.

freshprince94
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Scott was getting absolutely harpooned.... I would say I sold it for more too. Bottom line, you cannot buy a brand NEW mower, use it, and sell it for more. I can even give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did it once... but 3 times ?!?!?!?!?!? I think he actually said he "recovered some of the debt."

Something tells me this is not Scott's money that is moving around.......

He said he made money off the Wright. Whether this is true or not, he put only like 2 hours of use on it. And if he got it for cheap enough, it is possible. I know tplawnpro sold it to him. He did say he lost money on the Dixon, and I dunno about the Phazer. Bottom line is, he did what he did, and now it's done and over with. We all can forget about the Dixon, and the Phazer, and the Stander now. He has an eXmark Lazer. And if you go through and read his posts, he had plans to buy this type of mower before the Stander came about but didn't like his dealer or something of that nature.

Anyways, let's focus on the mower. I don't know why a bunch of grown men are so concerned about critiquing a 17 year old's business plan. And you learn with experience. I don't think he will be playing "musical mowers" anymore. The Lazer is a good mower and provided nothing severe happens to it, he should run it until it dies. The Triton is supposed to work well in Louisiana.

And I am glad someone finally has a horror story for lifetree about Dixon lol. Jk no offense lifetree.

Petr51488
06-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Anyways, let's focus on the mower. I don't know why a bunch of grown men are so concerned about critiquing a 17 year old's business plan.

I think their trying to teach him not to do these types of things. I'm sure they speak from experience. Take it for what its worth. Most guys, including me, know what TO do and what NOT to do. But like you said, you learn from your mistakes.

MOWEMJEFF
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Did anyone read last months Total Landscape Care? There was a good article in there about a young 30 year old in Mass who in 11 years in business went from a truck, trailer and ztr to a full service LCO doing over 2.5 million in annual sales. He stressed on keeping and maintaining the equipment you have and all-in-all it was a pretty good article worth reading if you get the magazine.

deere615
06-05-2008, 12:28 AM
I can't believe you got another mower. Please Make this one work for your needs.
If he does get another one my bet is a walker

farmerkev
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I have a 14 year old 21" push mower, Im buying a new commercial grade 21" soon, but hey, it works, I pay for gas, and thats it. Doesnt look like your lawns would need much more than that. Most kids your (our) age, (I thought you said 15) save up for that new video game, you, have bought 4 (four) ZTR lawn mowers in a very breif time. Its good that your working, and making you own $$ (that is if your making a profit with all the purchases), but SLOW DOWN, the guys on here have experience and like you, all started out one day, and they have good advice for you. Just dont let that $$ burn such a hole in your pocket.

But hey, nice mower!

THEGOLDPRO
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I have a 14 year old 21" push mower, Im buying a new commercial grade 21" soon, but hey, it works, I pay for gas, and thats it. Doesnt look like your lawns would need much more than that. Most kids your (our) age, (I thought you said 15) save up for that new video game, DADDY bought 4 (four) ZTR lawn mowers in a very breif time. Its good that your working, and making you own $$ (that is if your making a profit with all the purchases), but SLOW DOWN, the guys on here have experience and like you, all started out one day, and they have good advice for you. Just dont let that $$ burn such a hole in your pocket.

But hey, nice mower!
fixed it for you. :)

farmerkev
06-05-2008, 12:47 AM
fixed it for you. :)

Oh thanks, missed that!:laugh:

Blueribbonlawns
06-05-2008, 12:56 AM
I don't know why a bunch of grown men are so concerned about critiquing a 17 year old's business plan.
Im not picking on scott he's got a great thing going im just saying that nobody should go through 3 mowers in so quick of time.
Im 17 and you see what i have, ive worked my way up and saved! not just went on a spending spree and i dont buy a pice of equipment without using it first. I have one of the largest lawn companys in my town and i do great work, most of my buisness is by word of mouth.

S man
06-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Everything I own is paid cash by working my a$$ off. Plus I make a lot of money that is in savings. This 46" ztr is svaing me a lot of time and the 21" is great for really small spots. It's what works for me.

Clear up:
Phazer paid 4500 after tax and mulch kit. Sold it for 3500.
Stander bought used from tplawnpro for 3000. Sold it for 3600.
Dixon worst mistake I made paid 5880 after rebate. Sold it for 5200!!
Exmark lazer 6523 out the door.
Lets see..... 7100 from both the stander and phazer minus the crappy dixon leaves 1100 roughly. sold it lost 650 and bought the lazer. I didn't lose any money after buy the lazer z. Also I'm trying to get rid of some stuff I don't use in my shed.
I talked to Anthony(quality ls) and he gave me some good pointers. He said buying the lazer was a good move.

Blueribbonlawns
06-05-2008, 12:58 AM
AAWw man you posted right before me.

Big C
06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Additionally, how do you justify running a 7k ZTR? I have seen the properties that you do and they are all tiny, and you are in Louisiana so you already have a limited market. A 36" Walkbehind which you could get for less than half of that 7K soooooo easily is so much better than what you're running.

Do you have any kind of business plan or do you just like to see what drives the best?

Last thing..... You had a Dixon and pushed it on everybody, saying it was the best mower ever. You even trashed a few exmark guys... and now you have one??????

What did this guy mean when he wrote " you are in Louisiana so you already have a limited market." how can he make that assumption and dosen't live in Louisiana..all he probibly knows about La. is what he saw on CNN during Katrina..he lives in Mass where the mowing season is from June to August.:laugh:...In Louisiana we mow from March to November.....who's market is really limited???:confused: Our lawn care market is just as big as any other place.

MortonLawn
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
is this the same dixon thread with a new name?? sure does get a lot of attention.:dizzy:

tras
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
wow. congrats on getting a good mower.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-05-2008, 09:17 PM
What did this guy mean when he wrote " you are in Louisiana so you already have a limited market." how can he make that assumption and dosen't live in Louisiana..all he probibly knows about La. is what he saw on CNN during Katrina..he lives in Mass where the mowing season is from June to August.:laugh:...In Louisiana we mow from March to November.....who's market is really limited???:confused: Our lawn care market is just as big as any other place.

Amen to that brother. We start getting our sh!t together mid March and then at the end were are getting out people back on the weekly to 10 day cuts. come april everyone borrows daddys mower and puts togher their trailers from the scrap wood they found.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Amen to that brother. We start getting our sh!t together mid March and then at the end were are getting out people back on the weekly to 10 day cuts. come april everyone borrows daddys mower and puts togher their trailers from the scrap wood they found.

sorry meant that to be our and together

A-Land
06-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Louisiana? Are you kidding?

We get lectured on here every other day, especially with southern guys, about the problems of low balling in the south. There is and are always high quality accounts, but from every picture s man has posted, he doesn't have any. Low balling is everywhere, but the more I read the more of a problem I realize it is in a lot of the south with the cheap labor closer than here in the north. I've heard it from guys in Florida to Texas.... that's the nature of the game. So yeah, you have a limited market. I'm sorry if that offends you, but you have a limited market.

Katrina? A storm in 2004 in no way affects how I judge a purchase in 2008. You had a few too many :drinkup::drinkup:??

You mow from March to November and we mow from June to August.... right buddy, right. I started in early March and will not stop until october, and then do clean-ups all of november and some of december probably.

My mistake though, you know what you're talking about.

A-Land
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
come april everyone borrows daddys mower and puts togher their trailers from the scrap wood they found.

Hence why you have a limited market! you said it, not me.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Hence why you have a limited market! you said it, not me.

LOL, i think when you said limited market me as in the other guy thought you meant that we didnt have the number of houses to cut as other places. At least thats the way that i take it.

A-Land
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM
LOL, i think when you said limited market me as in the other guy thought you meant that we didnt have the number of houses to cut as other places. At least thats the way that i take it.

No I meant there are enough lowballers on midsize accounts there is not much left to go around........

S man
06-06-2008, 12:36 AM
wow. congrats on getting a good mower.
Thanks man. It sure feels good getting a real mower.

Yes it's great to cut here in louisiana. The weather keeps everything going.

Update, this mower is amazing. I cut several small lawns that even the 34" phazer or dixon would mess up and this mower left a great cut with no scalps or ruts. Exmark builds a great mower. Also I can get into tight spaces with this mower with no probs. I love it!!!:):weightlifter::cool2::walking:

S man
06-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Blueribbons, I really do like your setup and think it is smart to only buy what you'll use. I talked to anthony(quality ls) and he said it would be smart to sell off the 21"s I don't use and the extra trimmers that I don't use or even like(stihls) and get one 21" that will be used all the time and a trimmer that will be used all the time. I have my eye on a exmark version 21" and a shindaiwa 260 or 242. Does that sound good?

S man
06-06-2008, 12:53 AM

I have two more questions about your your rant, why can't do you math? I paid $6523 not 7k. Also have you ever made a big mistake because you are human and are learning? Or are you God? I made a big mistake buying the dixon and thinking it was best. Now I've learned and am very happy with my exmark. And was happy with my last exmark.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-06-2008, 02:44 AM
you wanna add another smiley to that????? lol

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-06-2008, 02:47 AM
man my reply dosent make any sense, i didnt realise i was on page 6 of a 7 page thread, o well jus scratch that.

CALandscapes
06-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Blueribbons, I really do like your setup and think it is smart to only buy what you'll use. I talked to anthony(quality ls) and he said it would be smart to sell off the 21"s I don't use and the extra trimmers that I don't use or even like(stihls) and get one 21" that will be used all the time and a trimmer that will be used all the time. I have my eye on a exmark version 21" and a shindaiwa 260 or 242. Does that sound good?

How about just keeping one of the 21's that you already have?

S man
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
How about just keeping one of the 21's that you already have?

I am. I'm keeping the snapper 21" for backup. But employees hate the toro controls and I'm not really impressed with the extra I paid for the weaker honda engine. I'm selling both toros and grabbing the exmark metro 21".

doubleedge
06-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Please research before you buy your 21". We dont need more drama on these forums :dizzy:.

freshprince94
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I am. I'm keeping the snapper 21" for backup. But employees hate the toro controls and I'm not really impressed with the extra I paid for the weaker honda engine. I'm selling both toros and grabbing the exmark metro 21".

The Metro 21 is a good mower.

freshprince94
06-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Please research before you buy your 21". We dont need more drama on these forums :dizzy:.

Ya, I'm really starting to get tired of it all. This thread was suposed to be about Scott's new mower and now it has turned into House o' Flames.

Oh well. The point is, Scott's new mower is pretty nice. So comment on the mower.

MOWEMJEFF
06-06-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm in Maine and I've been mowing since the first week of May and will mow through October into November....Last day I mowed a lawn last year was November 30th. Contracts are on a 25 week mowing season.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
The Metro 21 is a good mower.

I almost got the exmark when I was looking to get the toro.

kreft
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM

you definatly got a real mower no doubt.

S man
06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
you definatly got a real mower no doubt.

Boy you ain't joking. I love this thing! It's amazing.

RedMax Man
06-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Is that your hat?

SNAPPER MAN
06-06-2008, 11:27 PM
S Man, I dont want to sound like an ass but what do you care if your employees like the machine they are using or not. They are not the person paying for it. If the mower cuts and works good then keep it and get some hours on it. If I bought everything my employees wanted I would be in debt up to my eyeballs. Keep the stuff you have now and get some use out of it. When I bought my zero turn I wasnt thinking about what trimmer to buy next, I was thinking about how am I going to use this machine and get the most revenue out of it. You need to think and appreciate what you have and quit buying new machines for a while. You have a great setup. Just make good use of it. I dont want to be the bad guy but I hope you think about this and take it seriously.

S man
06-06-2008, 11:41 PM
S Man, I dont want to sound like an ass but what do you care if your employees like the machine they are using or not. They are not the person paying for it. If the mower cuts and works good then keep it and get some hours on it. If I bought everything my employees wanted I would be in debt up to my eyeballs. Keep the stuff you have now and get some use out of it. When I bought my zero turn I wasnt thinking about what trimmer to buy next, I was thinking about how am I going to use this machine and get the most revenue out of it. You need to think and appreciate what you have and quit buying new machines for a while. You have a great setup. Just make good use of it. I dont want to be the bad guy but I hope you think about this and take it seriously.

I see your point. Thanks for the advice. I do love the exmark and am going to get some use out of it. But with the 21"s, I made a mistake by not going with the exmark 21" because guys that work for me can screw up using the toro version and don't like using it. Why not have a mower that everyone's happy with and myself and happy with. By the end of the day I would rather tear down a gate and ride a small yard than walk behind the toro 21". The exmark looks much better on the hands and back.

S man
06-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I see your point. Thanks for the advice. I do love the exmark and am going to get some use out of it. But with the 21"s, I made a mistake by not going with the exmark 21" because guys that work for me can screw up using the toro version and don't like using it. Why not have a mower that everyone's happy with and myself am happy with it. By the end of the day I would rather tear down a gate and ride a small yard than walk behind the toro 21". The exmark looks much better on the hands and back.

A-Land
06-06-2008, 11:50 PM
By the end of the day I would rather tear down a gate and ride a small yard than walk behind the toro 21".

You try to convince customers to tear down their gates so you can "ride" their lawns? :hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

S man
06-07-2008, 12:43 AM
You try to convince customers to tear down their gates so you can "ride" their lawns? :hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

I was making a point Mr. obnoxious. I would rather have the exmark controls than the toro controls after using it for a day. :hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

btw, Micah, that is my hat. It looks stupid but keeps the sun off me and I like it.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2008, 12:47 AM
your employees??? what are these like your buddies or something?? your like 17 or something arent you??? lets not get all crazy trying to make us think you have a full crew of guys at 17 years old. lol

S man
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
your employees??? what are these like your buddies or something?? your like 17 or something arent you??? lets not get all crazy trying to make us think you have a full crew of guys at 17 years old. lol

I have two. My dad and my friend. Both deserve good equipment that they are comfortable with using. And when it comes to the toro, both don't like it. And me also somewhat.

WHIPPLE5.7
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM

I think I remember also seeing that he had 35 accounts and several were every other week instead of weekly. So lets lets say 25 per week. How the hell do you justify a CREW with those #s?

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I think I remember also seeing that he had 35 accounts and several were every other week instead of weekly. So lets lets say 25 per week. How the hell do you justify a CREW with those #s?

not to mention they are mostly postage stamp size lawns from the pics he showed. i could bust out 25 of them small lawns in a day by myself.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2008, 12:59 AM
further more i dont give a crap what kind of equipment my guys want lol they will use whatever i buy. they have no choice.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-07-2008, 01:46 AM
further more i dont give a crap what kind of equipment my guys want lol they will use whatever i buy. they have no choice.

I think you should care a little about your employees, think if they were in your shoes. Im not saying buy whatever they want, but dont say that you dont care at all what they like. Thats a good way for you to loose your people.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I think you should care a little about your employees, think if they were in your shoes. Im not saying buy whatever they want, but dont say that you dont care at all what they like. Thats a good way for you to loose your people.

Sorry, meant that to be the other way around, think if you were in their shoes. lol

Mowerboy04
06-07-2008, 12:20 PM

i agree, y should i care about what equipment my guys are running they run what ever i give them.

CALandscapes
06-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Tell them that if they don't like the Toro 21 they can buy their own.

End of story.

DoetschOutdoor
06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
But guys, you have to remember that S man and his "crew" go out and mow 45 lawns a day for 5 days a week. I mean with that many lawns to maintain, shouldnt the kid and his many employees have a $1000+ push mower?

A-Land
06-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I was making a point Mr. obnoxious. I would rather have the exmark controls than the toro controls after using it for a day.

Okay, because I wouldn't have the ***** to walk up to a customer and say, "Excuse me... But I have a huge mower to mow your backyard with.... And I just don't like my smaller machine..... do you mind if I take your fence down?"

I'm pretty sure if you told your dad he was your "employee" he would flip out.

A-Land
06-07-2008, 04:06 PM

If I listened to what my employees wanted I would be in debt up to my eyeballs......... Wait I'm my only employee. :dizzy::dizzy:

kreft
06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
This thread is halarious!

S man
06-07-2008, 07:39 PM
This thread is halarious!

I know ain't it?

About the employee thing, it's really my dad me and my friend who really don't like the toro controls. Also I talked to Anthony my lco friend a few miles away and said to use what will make me money. My two toros and a snapper are not making me as much because they are sitting there. One gets used once in awhile. If I can get one that is built really good like the toro but has more power(kawasaki) better airflow(no kickers) and easier controls, why not put money into that one mower that will get used the most? Same holds true with my trimmers. I thought stihl was so great so I have two of their trimmers, well mistake. I would rather have redmax or shindaiwa and deal with one place. So the stihls are sitting up most of the time when I can sell em and get another redmax or shiny. I only need two trimmers. And they are top of the line so you don't need a back up. Anyway I would just run to hd and grab a echo 210.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Anyway I would just run to hd and grab a echo 210.

Hey, I've been there and done that, you DONT want to waste your money on the HD Echo's.

SNAPPER MAN
06-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Dude, you had a kawasaki proline like the one now and you hated it remember? Probably not. If I was your dealer you would be my favorite customer.

farmerkev
06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Dude, you had a kawasaki proline like the one now and you hated it remember? Probably not. If I was your dealer you would be my favorite customer.

HAHA!:laugh:

About the bashing thing, its pretty funny, I mean a 17yr old CANT have employees, wouldnt any company he had, have to be in his dads name, making him his dads employee?!

DoetschOutdoor
06-07-2008, 08:13 PM
The only way I could see you getting a new mower and it being a smart decision is if you get alot out of your mowers that you are selling now...you just bought a ztr, do you really cut that many lawns with the 21" to justify buying a $1000 push mower?

DoetschOutdoor
06-07-2008, 08:14 PM
And freshprince, nobody really gives a about what equipment you "plan on" or "wish" you had....do you really need a signature that is that long?

freshprince94
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
And freshprince, nobody really gives a about what equipment you "plan on" or "wish" you had....do you really need a signature that is that long?

I just put it there because...I don't really know. Because I can I guess. Never really gave it much thought.

freshprince94
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks dude.

I know ain't it?

About the employee thing, it's really my dad me and my friend who really don't like the toro controls. Also I talked to Anthony my lco friend a few miles away and said to use what will make me money. My two toros and a snapper are not making me as much because they are sitting there. One gets used once in awhile. If I can get one that is built really good like the toro but has more power(kawasaki) better airflow(no kickers) and easier controls, why not put money into that one mower that will get used the most? Same holds true with my trimmers. I thought stihl was so great so I have two of their trimmers, well mistake. I would rather have redmax or shindaiwa and deal with one place. So the stihls are sitting up most of the time when I can sell em and get another redmax or shiny. I only need two trimmers. And they are top of the line so you don't need a back up. Anyway I would just run to hd and grab a echo 210.

I wouldn't recommend that. The 210 is a great trimmer but a step down from Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa, etc.

A-Land
06-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Haha bashing? I think it's funny. If it didn't deserve bashing it wouldn't have gotten any. I have a 5 page thread posted of my work that I put up the other day.... no bashing. Trudeau has posted 500 pics it seems and just picked up a new stander... no bashing. Seems to me people only bash what deserves it.

freshprince94
06-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Haha bashing? I think it's funny. If it didn't deserve bashing it wouldn't have gotten any. I have a 5 page thread posted of my work that I put up the other day.... no bashing. Trudeau has posted 500 pics it seems and just picked up a new stander... no bashing. Seems to me people only bash what deserves it.

Geez, yall are taking this LawnSite stuff really seriously. Especially you Boston, calm down buddy.

Seriously guys, get real. What, are you actually trying to influence Scott's business plan? Why would he care? It's his business, not ours. Just observe the mower. And this thread should be closed.

farmerkev
06-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Geez, yall are taking this LawnSite stuff really seriously. Especially you Boston, calm down buddy.

Boston has a good point, I mean we hear all about the ones on here with developed companys and working hard 5 days a week, who are having a hard time making any $$$, and a kid whos still in school "talks" about having a succesfull company with "employees" and has gone through more ztrs than most professionals. Something sounds goofy to me.

S Man, you have a nice setup, and awesome for working as hard as you do for your age, I cant say otherwise. But you do take it a little far sometimes.

Goldpro, reminds me of a certain thread on plowsite! :dizzy:

A-Land
06-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Boston has a good point, I mean we hear all about the ones on here with developed companys and working hard 5 days a week, who are having a hard time making any $$$, and a kid whos still in school "talks" about having a succesfull company with "employees" and has gone through more ztrs than most professionals. Something sounds goofy to me.

S Man, you have a nice setup, and awesome for working as hard as you do for your age, I cant say otherwise. But you do take it a little far sometimes.

Goldpro, reminds me of a certain thread on plowsite! :dizzy:

God a voice of reason, its about time.

freshprince94
06-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I am done looking at this thread.

Blueribbonlawns
06-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Sounds great! im getting a exmark 26 soon, id say get the 242 i have 2 of them their light and pretty powerful .
My toro pt21 SUCKS so im trading it in for a commercial.
Do you know wich model is best for bagging?
By the way Very nice(Borat Voice) Mower im looking at getting a Turf Tracer HP 36'' next year. Thats my dream mower for now lol

RedMax Man
06-07-2008, 11:34 PM

O c'mon i know you'r all saving my pics for your desktops:hammerhead:

CALandscapes
06-08-2008, 12:12 AM
S Man,

I don't understand why, if you have two 21s that work fine, you'd need another in order to "make money."

Same thing with the trimmers, use the Stihls till they're done with, THEN invest money in to new trimmers of whatever-the-hell brand you decide you like when that day comes.

Furthermore, what's to say that you're not going to get that exmark 21 and decide that you really don't like it, either, and sell it and replace it with another Toro?? Again, same with the trimmers. In two months, you may have two new Stihls to replace the two new Shinys (which replaced the Stihls you have right now) that you decided you really didn't like so much.

Man, it's like you're in a spending frenzy. You need to keep you overhead low, pay off what you have, and then you can start to watch the $$ stack up. Until then, it seems like you're going to be in a never-ending "vortex" of spending more than you have and working to pay it off...

I'm not trying to bash you, man, I'm just trying to help you to open your eyes to reality...:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Michael J. Donovan
06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
no need to continue on with the thread so it has been closed