PDA

View Full Version : They stole all of it!!

JMCMaint
06-04-2008, 09:34 AM
We woke up last Friday to find all of our equipment, trailer and truck stolen from our driveway. Approximately $20,000 in equipment plus a $40,000 truck. Needless to say, we were devastated. As soon as the police got here they had recovered the truck and trailer, but no equipment. Sad part is we're still paying for one of the mowers. We're going today to purchase all new equipment to get back on the road tomorrow. The thieves did $3000.00 in damage to the truck, but the insurance will pay for that (thank God) but no insurance on the equipment. Does anyone know of a company that will insure lawn equipment?

evergreenedmond
06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
check your auto policy, I think some will cover your eqipment if it's hooked up to your vehicle. I am through Farmer's & they have all of my equipment insured, anything over 3K they need a serial number & the small stuff goes on a blanket policy. I think it's called an inland marine policy but I'm not sure.

DBL
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
our commercial policy through selective ins will cover equipment

CutApproved
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
check your auto policy, I think some will cover your eqipment if it's hooked up to your vehicle. I am through Farmer's & they have all of my equipment insured, anything over 3K they need a serial number & the small stuff goes on a blanket policy. I think it's called an inland marine policy but I'm not sure.

Yeah I second this ^^^^^^

Your auto policy should cover it all, It was all attached so it was part of your vehichle.
If they don't cover it, ask them to transfer you to the dept that cancels your policy.

THEN SEE WHAT THEY SAY.

BTW - you have all this equipment but NO BUSINESS INSURANCE??? Gotta have it.

CLARK LAWN
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
do you have liabilty insurance? my equipment is covered under the same policy. i think i put a 1000 dollars deductable on it to keep the premium low

zemzabob
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Damn man sorry to hear about your loss hope you get back rolling again soon I hate a thief.

Pro-Scapes
06-04-2008, 11:15 AM
We woke up last Friday to find all of our equipment, trailer and truck stolen from our driveway. Approximately $20,000 in equipment plus a $40,000 truck. Needless to say, we were devastated. As soon as the police got here they had recovered the truck and trailer, but no equipment. Sad part is we're still paying for one of the mowers. We're going today to purchase all new equipment to get back on the road tomorrow. The thieves did $3000.00 in damage to the truck, but the insurance will pay for that (thank God) but no insurance on the equipment. Does anyone know of a company that will insure lawn equipment?

Southern farm buerau covers our equpment on a seperate policy. Its very reasonable. I think I got about 30k in stuff insured on a seperate policy for about 300 a year.

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2008, 11:21 AM
so todays lesson is if you want to play landscaper make sure your licensed and have business insurance.

JMCMaint
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
We are licensed and have liability insurance, but not theft policy on equipment. Our vehicle insurance does not cover anything attached to our vehicle. We are still waiting on homeowners to see if they cover anything since the equipment was behind a locked gate next to our house. Guess we were just a little too comfortable since we've been in the business for 10 years and never lost more than a blower. And....that was on a property where they cut the lock while we were away from the truck. We've taken steps to try and keep this from happening again. We've alarmed the truck with a shutoff switch, we've put perimeter alarms around our entire property and installed a CCTV to boot. But, ya know....they're thiefs, if they want it....... But we are working hard to try to insure ourselves to the hilt!!

THEGOLDPRO
06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
i had a new blower stolen and my homeowners would have covered it but it was a 500 dollar deductable so it was cheaper to just go buy a new one.

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
JMCMaint,

I'm right here in J'ville also. My insurance covers theft. So for, very good service. I am at work right now (USN) and I don't have all the specifics. But the name of the company / broker is Demetrius Insurance.

JMCMaint
06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
thanks for info. i just checked with my liability people and they are going to insure my NEW equipment $20,000 for $300 a year.

TforTexas
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Be careful with the new stuff. Several years ago we had someone jimmy their way through our walk-thru shop door and steal all our equipment. We took to parking one of our trucks right up against that door so no-one could get in again. A month later the same thiefs came back in a stolen truck and drove it right through our overhead door and stole all the new stuff!
The cops said that was a pattern they had been seeing around town. A lot of lawn care/landscape guys would get all their old equipment stolen and then get hit again right away for all the new replacement stuff.

nylan8888
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
We are licensed and have liability insurance, but not theft policy on equipment. Our vehicle insurance does not cover anything attached to our vehicle. We are still waiting on homeowners to see if they cover anything since the equipment was behind a locked gate next to our house. Guess we were just a little too comfortable since we've been in the business for 10 years and never lost more than a blower. And....that was on a property where they cut the lock while we were away from the truck. We've taken steps to try and keep this from happening again. We've alarmed the truck with a shutoff switch, we've put perimeter alarms around our entire property and installed a CCTV to boot. But, ya know....they're thiefs, if they want it....... But we are working hard to try to insure ourselves to the hilt!!

Almost all General Liability policies have a small (10,000-15,000) theft coverage blanket automatically included. Check your POLICY to be sure, don't just take their word for it. Most auto policies won't cover anything but the vehicle, no contents. Most home owner policies won't cover it because it falls under business equipment and requires a special rider. I went through all this when I had mine stolen the same way.

dura to the max
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
my g/l covers theft. auto insurance might, but if it was in the drive then your homeowners insurance should cover it as well.

zz4guy
06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
So what are all the specifics required on theft coverage?

A police report?
Original receipts?
Does your vehicle have to be locked to be covered?

k911lowe
06-05-2008, 07:19 PM

got dogs?they work every time.

genesgreen
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Depends on the state you're in but usually if you have commercial/business insurance on your vehicle there should be some kind of program to insure the things that are with the vehicle - your equipment.

First VT Odyssey
06-17-2008, 07:55 AM
My commercial policy (through Progressive I believe) covers all of my plowing equipment as long as it is hooked up to the truck. Since it's not on my truck all of the time, they offer additional coverage for a few hundred/year that will cover it when it's sitting idle.

I know that they offer similar coverage for lawn care equipment, but my stuff isn't worth the additional price!

That sucks about your equipment. Do they offer GAP insurance when you finance lawn equipment? If so, that should cover the rest of the payments on your mower.

farmboy1285
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Man sorry to hear that

Ferdelance
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Putting a claim on your homeowners insurance for stolen lawn equipment could get your premium raised or in some cases canceled.
Any time you put a claim on your homeowners insurance or even make any inquiries about a possible claim, they red flag your house.

topsites
06-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Putting a claim on your homeowners insurance for stolen lawn equipment could get your premium raised or in some cases canceled.
Any time you put a claim on your homeowners insurance or even make any inquiries about a possible claim, they red flag your house.

Worse still, the insurance business is such that my automotive collision could raise your homeowner's, just as one example.

TimTim2008
06-21-2008, 08:59 AM
has anyone here ever had to claim using homeowners?? if the stuff is stored inside the house?

CALandscapes
06-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I have contractor's insurance on all of our equipment.

I think it's somewhere around 1% of the total value per year (cheap cheap cheap!).

Check with your agent who provides your Gen Liability, if they don't offer it they should be able to point you in the direction of someone who does.

BillyRgn
06-22-2008, 02:39 PM

i agree, your homeowners will not like to here about a business at your home, it would deffinatly raise your premium, and come time for renew, it probally won't happen, then you end up in the risk pool for a few years because your red flagged, paying double what you should, then you can get normal rates again as long as nothing else happens. as far as theft being covered in you general liability, unless you request it it won't be there

PR Fect
06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Thinking you are insured because you have truck insurance or home owners is way different than having commercial business insurance. If you would have the latter you would have been covered. I don't want to step on you when your down, but this can be a lesson for many others. If you are running a business, you need business insurance. On your truck, trailer, equipment, and storage area. Regular insurance on truck or home does not fly. PR

k911lowe
06-23-2008, 07:00 PM

a commercial insurance will cover equipment and the 1st claim you make they will dump you,so make it a good one.

A Leaf Above
07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
State Farm is excellent for insuring equipment ...250 deductible full replacement insurance ....It is like 12-13 bux per 1000 insured fer the year ..Its called an inland marine policy ....I just dont know why people dont insure their equipment ...It is so cheap to do so ...

richallseasons
07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
My commercial policy covers my major equipment in one of two different ways and you should ask your insurance rep about this, first I can opt for general blanket coverage for x amount of dollars which will cover theft of major pieces of equipent to give me back a portion of the value or I can opt for a slightly higher cost of coverage and document the individual items with photos and serial numbers for what may be full replacement after any deductable, of course they are not interested in hand tools or low dollar items though.

GravelyNut
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
got dogs?they work every time.

Till they poison them like they did to a boat shop's dogs last week. Barking dogs backed up by a 12 ga shotgun does do wonders though. Ask the crooks in Texas in the case that was just turned down by a grand jury there. :usflag:

kleankutslawn
07-02-2008, 03:29 PM
i'm sorry for your lost

JohnnyRoyale
07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Once you get through my 2 sheppards your going to have to find the hidden kill switches on all my equipment and trucks which are in the off position when parked, including the roll off truck that will have to move the bin parked against my gates. Break the locks off the trailer pintle hooks and tires, and if and only if you figure out a way to get through all that-you can keep whatever it is you took from me. BTW, all heavy equipment, and trucks are tracked w/ GPS and I can monitor their location online in real time, infra red cameras will tape you from every angle, shop and office are alarmed and monitored, and I or my partner live w/in 2 minutes from shop. Our yard is lit up like a baseball diamond when motion occurs, anywhere around it. Our area is patrolled by security every half hour at night and on weekends- and they even harrass me when I stop in late at nigh to get something done. Can a thief get through all this with time?-Of course, will he? Probably not. Its truly sad when we realize what we have to go through to protect our assets. By putting all of these in place over the years, I am glad to boast zero insurance claims for theft.

A friend of mine has been getting broken into repeatedly, and they take off with Kubotas and trucks on every occasion. He installed cameras and noticed a pattern before every break in. This one particular morning he noticed the same pattern and couldnt sleep the following night. Se went to the shop and waited. At 3AM the bastards showed up and broke his gate lock and went for one of his trucks. He called the cops, and within minutes, he heard sirens, the thiefs took off on foot, the police chopper was flying overhead with the spotlight aimed at the area, the police dogs followed a trail, and 15 cruisers showed up. They caught one guy, but the other thief wasn't found. They brought the one guy in for questioning and charged him with trespassing and forced entry. They couldn't nail him for theft over as thoretically they didnt steal anything. The cops were all embarrased as that huge production netted them zero. The thief they caught is out on bail, and once again my friend is noticing patterns on his camera. He now sleeps at the shop and waits. This time will be different. Shoot first-ask questions later I tell him.

BillyRgn
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
i hate to say it, but it dosen't matter what you do, if a theif has his mind set on getting something, and really really wants it, then they will get it.

LawnProLandCare
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM

i go through wj farmers insurance and through my general liability insurance i have equipment coverage, just keep receipts and take photos of equip and no questyions asked. they cover my plow to.

Grasshog
07-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Your auto policy wont cover it. If they do its a big surprise. You use it for a business so it should of had a separate policy.. State Farm, and Farm Buerau has both done policy for me.. Even you home owners insurance wont cover that amount cause its a business.

Jason Rose
07-04-2008, 06:54 PM
has anyone here ever had to claim using homeowners?? if the stuff is stored inside the house?

I have State Farm for my HO insurance and he knew when I was signing up that I am running a business from my home. He told me that no matter what, anything that they deem as "part of my business" is NOT covered under my homeowners policy! The only way for me to have coverage on my equipment, even when at home, is to have a seperate policy.

I had a small trailer stolen last fall that I mainly bought for use for "toys" and moving things, etc. Well since I have a buisness that uses trailers I couldn't prove that I never ever use it for my business so they were balking. They finally said they would pay off, minus the deductable, but my rates would jump by about $250 per year for 3 years. Yes, I'd pay them about 2.5 times what they actually paid me after subtracting the deductable.

Self_Paid1
07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I was about to say what about the Dogs in the Yard?:weightlifter:

PR Fect
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I have State Farm for my HO insurance and he knew when I was signing up that I am running a business from my home. He told me that no matter what, anything that they deem as "part of my business" is NOT covered under my homeowners policy! The only way for me to have coverage on my equipment, even when at home, is to have a seperate policy.

I had a small trailer stolen last fall that I mainly bought for use for "toys" and moving things, etc. Well since I have a buisness that uses trailers I couldn't prove that I never ever use it for my business so they were balking.

I agree Jason. It may also come as a surprise to some but it works in reverse also! If you have regular auto insurance on your truck, meaning non-bussiness truck insurance, when you hook up your trailer and mowers to it you just canceled any insurance you thought you had. So you think your saving money by not having business truck insurance and having "full coverage" auto insurance on your truck. But in reality you have NO insurance. And your trowing your insurance premium's out the door. And as another FYI make sure you policy covers chemicals. Most do not. A spill of "round up" in and accident may void your policy. PR

Charles
07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I agree Jason. It may also come as a surprise to some but it works in reverse also! If you have regular auto insurance on your truck, meaning non-bussiness truck insurance, when you hook up your trailer and mowers to it you just canceled any insurance you thought you had. So you think your saving money by not having business truck insurance and having "full coverage" auto insurance on your truck. But in reality you have NO insurance. And your trowing your insurance premium's out the door. And as another FYI make sure you policy covers chemicals. Most do not. A spill of "round up" in and accident may void your policy. PR

Not in all cases. I had Allstate 10 years ago and an employee wrecked my stuff. No commercial auto insurance. They still covered the truck and trailer damage. They didn't cover the contents of the trailer