PDA

View Full Version : PEX Service line

No Rush
06-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a repair job; bring this new home up to code by getting a permit, installing a backflow, adding 4 valves and removing home owner installed HD junk. My problem is that I had to call a plumber to splice a "T" in this PEX line; $85. Has anyone seen a line run like this?

Without A Drought
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Yup. not too often, but it's catching on. it's similar to poly pipe in the installation (barb fittings and clamps). if you need copper for stability there are adapters that'll take you from pex to copper. (you're plumber should have the stuff)

pg

EagleLandscape
06-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Turn it around and bill the customer. The tools to mess with pex are expensive, and so is pex itself. Even though it looks cheap, its actually super - expensive. I think it can expand 3x and shink 1\2 without breaking.

Wet_Boots
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
You might have been able to use a PEX compression tee, and saved a few bucks. Plumbers will use fittings specific to the brand of pipe, even though the tubing is made to SDR-9 specs.

Mike Leary
06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Plumbers will use fittings specific to the brand of pipe, even though the tubing is made to SDR-9 specs.

Something most of us don't want to fool with.:nono:

Wet_Boots
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
You learn this stuff the hard way, by breaking it, then fixing it. I guess the plastic compression fittings match the expansion rates of the pipe, so temperature changes don't create leaks.

bobw
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Any house built here in the last 15 years or so has pex plumbing and main. Before that we had Poly B. Copper is a pretty distant memory around here. Crimp rings and crimpers for pex are pretty much standard equipment for all irrigators around here. Most houses have 3/4" main and meter. Some high end stuff is now getting 1" and 1 1/2" mains. For those, we have a plumber do the T as the fittings are not at all alike and the "standard" crimpers are only good for 1/2" and 3/4" pex.

dougaustreim
06-05-2008, 11:27 PM
With the price oc copper, pex is becoming standard and much faster to install.

The only problem is that the pex crimper for 1 inch is very large and hard to manuever in the tight spaces in the basement ceiling. You need to plan ahead and preassemble components that go into tight corners. The nice thing is that you don't have to lay in a straight line. Much easier to go around obstacles.

Waterit
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Pex reminds me of Quest. Was it Denver that did their city mains in the stuff, and wind up tearing up miles of street when it started to fail?

I'll still take a welded joint any day, whether it be glued, soldered, or even arced.

Dirty Water
06-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Pex and Wirsbo usually use insert fittings with a crimp ring. The expensive part is the tool. It expands the pex over the fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiyG1eRDkaQ

Lawnworks
06-06-2008, 01:11 AM
I would rather just fix it myself. Lowe's will actually loan you the clamp tool for free... or you can rent one from someone else for $15 a day. I think they even make a shark bite for pex. I would rather not wait on a plumber for half a day and lose the time.

I actually just rerouted a pex water line in my shop. It is really easy to deal with... I now have a hanging water line in my shop... pretty neat stuff.

No Rush
06-06-2008, 06:01 AM
I would rather just fix it myself. Lowe's will actually loan you the clamp tool for free... or you can rent one from someone else for $15 a day. I think they even make a shark bite for pex. I would rather not wait on a plumber for half a day and lose the time.

I actually just rerouted a pex water line in my shop. It is really easy to deal with... I now have a hanging water line in my shop... pretty neat stuff.

I did hear about the shark bite. I will check with Lowe's/HD here to see if the tool is available. My thinking is the money I am paying the plumber is more for a one time training lesson. I will watch, ask a lot of question and see what type of fitting/tools he uses.

Wet_Boots
06-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Getting back to the original situation, the compression tee would be okay for duty in that outside hole, but for inside, you wouldn't have a compression connection enclosed in a wall.

Once you buy the crimping tool(s) it's way cheaper to go that way. Also, Oetiker is now offering special crimp clamps for PEX (also with a special tool, for more crimping force)

londonrain
06-06-2008, 06:43 AM
I use a grip joint tee...
http://www.fordmeterbox.com/PDF/Submittals/t441xxxg.pdf

Wet_Boots
06-06-2008, 07:22 AM
I use a grip joint tee...
http://www.fordmeterbox.com/PDF/Submittals/t441xxxg.pdfWaterworks fittings are a good way to go. Nothing wimpy there.

dougaustreim
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Waiting for the plumber is not the real issue here. Can you legally make the connection without a plumbers licence. In most or all states, the answer is no if the connection is before the backflow.

No Rush
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Waiting for the plumber is not the real issue here. Can you legally make the connection without a plumbers licence. In most or all states, the answer is no if the connection is before the backflow.
In Texas an Irrigator can; I am paying for a training lesson on this one.

Lawnworks
06-06-2008, 10:51 PM

No the real question is... will he get caught. Gov't beauracracy is stupid. Plumbing is ridiculously simple. Any person that takes pride in there product may do a better job than any "qualified" plumber.

Lawnworks
06-06-2008, 10:54 PM
In Texas an Irrigator can; I am paying for a training lesson on this one.

Well I think you will find it super simple. I had my first experience w/ pex installing 3 gallon plant material and hit a freakin main line. Water line had to fixed immediately to supply the vet clinic w/ water for the animals... no time to wait on a no show plumber... took me 1 hour to figure it out my first time. At least after you see the guy do it... you will think "how easy!"

Mark B
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
You should be able to rent a set of crimpers at HD, Or a plumbing supply place. Pex is super easy to work with.

ibonsai
06-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I just did a few like that, you can not use a Pex crimp underground the ring will rust, I use a Shark bite tee and a Shark Bite slip fix in tight spaces. You can use Shark Bite on Poly B and convert to Pex. I t is simple and easy especially the Shark Bite slip fix.

evergreensolutions
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
You actually can use a crimp underground. The crimp rings and inserts are made of copper. No rust there.

londonrain
06-13-2008, 09:18 PM
You actually can use a crimp underground. The crimp rings and inserts are made of copper. No rust there.
That is correct the rings are copper...I installed a backflow on a pex line this week...

Mdirrigation
06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Hate to burst somebodys bubble , that looks like old blue poly pipe , not pex .

Wet_Boots
06-14-2008, 09:20 PM
"blue poly" in a CTS size? (not that I see it in any form)

No Rush
06-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Hate to burst somebodys bubble , that looks like old blue poly pipe , not pex .

It is REHAU's PEX